Re: Why is my flagship WINDOWS PHONE being ignored by Verizon?
Not applicable

Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

This agreement and the documents it incorporates form the entire agreement between us. You can't rely on any other documents, or on what's said by any Sales or Customer Service Representatives, and you have no other rights regarding Service or this agreement.

Case closed.

LumiaIconUser
Contributor - Level 1

The Icon is less than a year old. I seriously doubt that VZW thinks customers owning a phone for only 6-9 months are going to run out and buy a new one (from VZW) because an OS revision (8.0 -> 8.1) is not available. I mean if that really was their strategy, then they are dumber than we think. No, I think they simply don't care that much. They sold us the phone and they know 99.9% of us will just stick it out for 2 years, updated or not.

It's the same thing they did to us with the Bionic ICS debacle, which dragged on for a full year. Hopefully that will not be the case here, but there's definitely a precedent for it.

LumiaIconUser
Contributor - Level 1

I will say that on the Android side, at least it was plausible that figuring out ICS would take some time because a) VZW seemed to have their fingers in the OS a little more than on WP (with all their required bloatware and pointless UI customizations) and b) they were carrying many more android phones, and you could almost believe it was tough to support an updated OS across all of them.

Here we're talking about 2 phones, the 928 and the Icon. Seriously VZW, what is your problem?

fkmalone
Enthusiast - Level 3

The size of the network shouldn't matter though. I do like the idea of beta

testers. The Icon was exclusive wasn't it? I would have thought that it was

in Nokia's best interest to make any firmware updates compatible. They know

what it takes so wouldn't they do that testing before hand?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

For Android

HTC, Sony, and Motorola admitted that carriers don't touch their code. The "bloatware" is already given to them in advance and they five options to carrier.

So Verizon fingers are involved but not like how the internet spews out. HTC and Motorola seem to do a great job updating their devices since they went transparent even with the carrier options they give.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Also for the Bionic Motorola took ownership. It didn't sell well and Motorola said they didn't put enough resources as they should have. Motorola abandoned a lot of their devices and paid for it in Europe and the reason why they were sold off. HTC was on the same boat and for sale.

Being transparent seems to he key on giving updates past carriers. Motorola and HTC seems to be showing the path.

njwebfoot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for that info, makes me re-think renewing my contract with Verizon in a few months!

0 Likes
Radioage
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

For the longest time...

EOL(retiring) does not mean done with support...  It's up to the manufacturer to end support or not... 

doublev4
Enthusiast - Level 2

In this global economy every company struggles to sustain growth. I haven't seen any company willing to give even a one percent market share to their competitors. Because in the financial world when this happens your seen as playing catch up. I figure this is the reason even the almighty Apple is willing to set aside its own brands in order to run Microsoft products on it's devices. so I'm betting the people running Verizon will come to their senses and push the updates out 

0 Likes