Re: Why is Verizon planning to block the Microsoft Lumia 950XL?
Tidbits
Legend

Problems doesn't matter man. Fact of the matter block C allows Microsoft to do as they please and you can't deny it especially with the facts in your face. Doesn't matter what Verizon has done in the past. The rules are in place where the past doesn't matter.

You said if yourself and said you wished the did add the support with disclaimers. They could have done it, but guess what it would work... As pointed out the system is set up like GSM for LTE devices. Read the link.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

All 53 windows fan boys will be switching to another carrier, realize the flaws, and be right back. There simply isn't a market for Windows devices. Didn't this same thing happen when palm switched to the palm pre and then became irrelevant?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Palm OS was a good OS. Symbian was great too. Ubuntu Touch seems promising too. BB should have stuck with their OS and just make it more competitive. I think we need more operating systems to keep them going forward and pushing boundaries.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

When palm switched to the pre, I said uh oh.at first I wanted it as an upgrade to my 755p, but the fact I had to switch my plan and it was a smaller phone, had me switch to blackberry, then to android. Some companies make wrong decisions. I can't think however it's that many windows users to make even a dent in verizons bottom like, and I further think half if more of them are blowing smoke.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Personally I prefer Windows. Shoot I am the only person in my office that uses it. I think more people would try it and they may find they will enjoy it. The biggest problem is app selection for most users. There are some apps I'd love to have, but already talked to the device and to date they have no plans to support it. I am hoping when MS aggregate the phone line they gain more support or more markets hare to entice developers to look that way.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Bottom line is if Microsoft included the right bands, based on how things work now, it would have worked on Verizon with an already activated SIM. I like Microsoft, I have a Surface 4 on its way. This seems to be Microsoft didn't include the bands needed. 

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The only windows device I use is my laptop, or my work computer. I know 2 people who have had windows devices, and could not wait to switch back to android. Each person is his own tho, and I respect the people who like their platforms. I'm just tired of the whole why are they doing it, and I'm switching posts. Everyone is grown, if you're gonna switch, just do it. You don't need the support of an online forum to do it. Or do you?

0 Likes
OutlawFirebird1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Windows phones are not really flawed, only downside is the apps, the phones preforms better then the majority if not all the android phones that are out there. What's holding it back is limited availability.

From what I can take away from everything, is Microsoft doesn't want to work with carriers that will not support windows phones, like Verizon.  and the chips in the phones are capable of running on Verizon, but the bands were locked out, and even if Microsoft wanted to unlock them, Verizon would not authenticate the phones to work on there network.  Verizon has shown clearly that they dont support windows, with what they pulled with the icon. They rather carry 20 different androids that are all basically the same and not half as good as these new window phones,  but they will loose customers, I will try to get on another network.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

OutlawFirebird1 wrote:

the chips in the phones are capable of running on Verizon, but the bands were locked out, and even if Microsoft wanted to unlock them, Verizon would not authenticate the phones to work on there network.

This is false.  The authentication system isn't he old one where ECID had to be inputted they are running the same system that T-Mobile, and AT&T are running.  This is to comply with Block C.  You can read up the rules especially the open access section. If MS had not locked out the spectrum, and hardware it would work on Verizon even if they wanted to or not.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

OutlawFirebird1 wrote:

Microsoft doesn't want to work with carriers that will not support windows phones, like Verizon.  and the chips in the phones are capable of running on Verizon, but the bands were locked out, and even if Microsoft wanted to unlock them, Verizon would not authenticate the phones to work on there network. 

you are missing the point.  If the right bands were there and you stuck an already actived SIM in the phone it would work on Verizon.  i have seen this done with Apple and Android phones that are not Verizon. 

0 Likes