Re: Why is Verizon planning to block the Microsoft Lumia 950XL?
OutlawFirebird1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not talking about Verizon locking the phones out, talking about there poor customer service when regards to windows phones. How they actively try to get people to buy an android instead of a windows phone from them.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

What I am saying it doesn't matter how Verizon treated windows phone.  Block C rules lets MS dictate what they want to do and pay for.  By them not taking advantage of it is their proragative.  People easily point the finger, but then MS at the same time alienates customers that are stuck to a carrier because they are the best in their area. They also alienate other CDMA carriers in the United States... Verizon and Sprint are not the only ones.  If they want to increase their market share you can't ignore 15% of the mobile population.

0 Likes
groadyho
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was an att customer for the last 3 yrs.used a lumia 1020, love it--switched to Verizon 3 wks ago because we were tired of not having service at our ranch with att, Verizon works fine here--we both bought lumia 735 not really a downgrade from the 1020 except the camera--my wife thought for sure we could buy unlocked 950's that would work with any carrier like iPhone or nexus, not happening--we are also considering leaving back to att as att would pay any fees at least that's what att told me, they said they'd be very happy to have us return--Honestly I like Verizon service better although I get less for the price, but I can't bring myself to go android or ois--I had an s3 and hated it, tough decision but I love woindows 10 on my laptop and always loved being able to link to my xbox so cya Verizon if by spring there's no 950 available--

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There isn't going to be any 950 or XL that'll work on any CDMA network. Go back to AT&T, any GSM carrier, or MVNO that uses GSM if you want a 950.

0 Likes
jeffer23
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is unfortunate but no surprise.

Verizon likes their Android phones to be a Verizon hybrid of Android.  Verizon likely knows it would be very expensive to make alterations to Windows 10.  My theory is that Microsoft would likely not give them control over the operating system beyond administrator rights without a big charge;  Plus, a PC is far more complex than Android or IOS system.  That requires a big IT commitment if they want to make a Verizon Windows phone. 

From the flip side Verizon is probably scared that a lot of people will be willing to pay full price for an unlocked phone with no Verizon control on the Verizon network.  I don't agree at all that it is a support issue.  People using a Windows Operating system would not need Verizon's support services beyond network access if Verizon does not alter the operating system.

I suppose I will wait for the initial phones to hit the market for AT&T and then make a decision.  But I won't continue using Android for much longer.  The lack of version control for Android and its applications is sad.  The lack of ability to easily find applications without SPAM in Android is sad.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Every time there is an exclusive phone that people want (remember when the iPhone came out) and people couldn't get it on verizon, people threatened as to why they needed it and it fit their lifestyle and they threatened to leave. But they soon came back. Once an exclusive phone comes out that isn't on a person's network, it's always an issue. It's a never ending cycle. I don't understand why if there's a phone that you love so much ( and you haven't even used it in person yet) you just can't switch carriers. And if the carrier doesn't work in your area, then you have to make that decision. But don't complain about it. We all have choices.

0 Likes
chodichicken
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Already disproven... the original link where pocketnow got that from was already posted a couple days ago. The article has inconsistencies about Verizon for clicky bait.

groadyho
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think it's more complaining as it frustration you can't buy a 600-700 dollar phone and use it on any service you want--it's really plain dumb and I was naïve enough to think any unlocked phone work on any network--I love Verizon service, was happy with att , always have had windows phones last 4 yrs. so I don't need to use it I know how it will work already have windows 10 on my comp--what I do know is I wouldn't trade my lumia 1020 or 735 for any high-end droid or ios--anyways doesn't matter surface phones will be unlocked with all network access available, I can wait--

markpat648
Enthusiast - Level 1

As someone that wants the Lumia 950 XL and is a Verizon customer, the point is that someone needs to start Talking!

Microsoft or Verizon? Let us know WTF is going on or what happened!

I'm ready to leave Verizon for this phone, IF it's Verizon's fault!

If its MS's fault then I will rethink it! (I thought Ballmer was Gone?)