Why have I given up on Windows Phone
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
Re: Why have I given up on Windows Phone
LumiaIconUser
Contributor - Level 1

In my opinion, the MS/VZW situation with the Icon has done huge damage to the WP brand. Whereas 7 months ago I would have advocated for anyone switching to the platform, today I have to say I couldn't recommend it. When the largest carrier in the US can't -- for whatever reason -- get it together with MS, Nokia, and 8.1, there is basically no hope.

Sadly, I think this may be the end of the line for WP, at least in the US. If you spend all summer advertising Cortana and 8.1, and then can't deliver it on the largest carrier, it leaves a big "WTefF" in your mind about this platform. Yanking the Icon and going radio-silent on the updates means VZW simply doesn't care.

corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

The perfect 1-2 punch to Windows users on Verizon occurs if AT&T soon comes out with a flagship Microsoft WP10 while Verizon still can't even deliver the Cyan/8.1 update.

For those of us sticking with WPs, we're outta here!

pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

I wish I could disagree but frankly I see this as a pivotal moment for WP, and regardless of who's to "blame", Verizon is the company that stamps their name on the subsidized product. So as I said before, VZW is one of the large factors that will end WP. You can't get a foothold in the US like this, and I really don't think VZW even cares to try. It's not a money maker for them, and the MSFT cash handed out to market and support can only go so far in some organizations....

WPCyanNOW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ed Bott on ZDNet seems to sum it up pretty well:

In short, this is Verizon's fault. They have over 40% of the US market and refuse to release the 8.1 Cyan update despite the fact that every other carrier already has.

Verizon is playing a game here, and part of that game is to kill Windows Phone by holding it back every way they can. That is just purely blatant at this point. Windows Phone customers who don't know any better will blame Microsoft. Windows Phone customers who do know better are going to leave Verizon and switch to AT&T - that's a fact. Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, AT&T carries better WP Phones than Verizon, like the Lumia 1020 and 1520. Unfortunately for people like my wife who has a company phone on Verizon, and loves her Windows Phone, she's just stuck.

In all honesty, I'd rather stick with Verizon but my days with them are numbered. I've decided to give them a few more weeks. After that, if there's no news about the update I'm marching straight to an AT&T store. If Verizon does come through with the update by some miracle, I'll stick around a bit longer. But if they pull the same kind of <male cow fecal matter> with the next update, or don't offer newer WP phones when they become available from manufacturers, I will drop them like a hot rock. But you know, I truly feel like I'm giving Verizon another chance that they obviously don't deserve.

xonnia
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the HTC one M8 so I have the 8.1, but for me its the lack of app support, which  I didn't really notice till i traveled recently.  then it hit like a brick,  no airline app, no hotel app,  no taxi app etc...    And this is blame squarely on MS they need to get off the pot and pay companies to develop the apps and help them if needed.  If they want a smart phone market share its the only way to do it.   If they can't pony up the cash and incentives it wont happen no matter what update verizon provides.   i'm giving them till next septmeber which is sad cause i love the WP OS over Droid so much

barnfish
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree that the lack of apps for specific businesses is a much bigger problem than i wanted to admit.  I wanted to stick with WP (had the Trophy for 3 years, bought the flagship Icon in Feb'14) and it's only gotten worse.  Need an app for your bank? Hope you don't use PNC (or many others). How about one for SparkPeople? It's been "in the works" for 5 years, not coming.  Airlines? Forget it. Even the new Angry Birds release I saw today is ported for WP7, not WP8 (or windows desktop, for that matter).  My Healthcare provider? Applestore or GooglePlay links, nothing else.  Even my online health care records service has a great lineup of apps, login options (6 separate login services!) and links to their apps on Applestore, Googleplay, but NO WP apps at all.  WP has already lost on the apps front, and Verizon is putting the nail in the coffin. I think the wheels fell off when Microsoft purchase of Nokia took effect approximately one month after the release of the Icon. All promotion of WP phones went in reverse, with Verizon stores and sales actively steering customers away from Windows Phones.  And now, the flagship WP (Icon) that was 'exclusive' to Verizon is mothballed less than 8 months after release, and no upgrades to 8.1 or cyan, and no honest communication about its status.  I've been pretty stubborn in my active support of WP, even promoting it to friends and family - but no more, I can longer recommend this platform.  Due to financial reasons, I'll wait until March 2015 and will be moving on - away from Verizon AND WP.  I still find this platform superior, but lack of support on the largest US carrier and lack of apps has finally worn me out.

pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

Very well put, and very much echo's my sentiment. I can't recommend this platform anymore. The app situation is a big catch-22. What developer (well, and the people who pay the dev) wants to waste time developing around features on a platform that won't get released by the largest US carrier? I'm a dev myself, and I won't.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Blame Verizon???

It is not Verizon which is killing the WP platform IF it is indeed being killed. MS need to put more into it.

Was the iPhone KILLED when Verizon passed on a contract to be the sole provider with iPhones? No, Apple just went with their 2nd choice of AT&T. If Verizon could kill a platform, iPhone would not be a major player today. Now the iPhone is a popular choice on all providers. Possibly MS could learn something from that.

MS needs to build demand and UNTIL their app store has comparable apps for what people want and currently use on their platforms of choice, as indicated in posts in this thread, that will NEVER happen. In the past, I have considered purchasing a WP. I did not do so, not because there were not phones available which were attractive, but because the apps I use on a regular basis WERE NOT available in the Windows Phone App Store. THAT is the bottom line.

0 Likes
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

You can't seriously compare the launch of the very first smart phone against the launch of a new smart phone platform in an already mature market. C'mon.