Why does my wifi signal always appear to be transmitting?
shadedbulb

Late last week, I noticed that my WiFi signal arrow (pointing up) is *always* active on my Lumia Icon. This did not happen before (it would only come on when I was clearly requesting data). I have WiFi Sense turned off.   I reset my phone in case it was some bad app behavior, and same thing happened. When I'm out of WiFi range, the cellular data is always on (at least it shows the little arrow by my signal strength).

I even went over to a friend's house on the off chance it was something with my router (before I paid attention to the cellular data usage), and the same thing happened.

I've turned off Location and everything else I can think of, and the icon always appears to be sending data.

Turning off using data over a cellular network, does keep it off, but then I don't get useful things like email.

Looking at the App Usage with Data Sense, there's nothing sending any significant amount of data (as expected for my usage).

What is happening? What is being sent or received? Is this some glitch of the icon?

As I said, this appears to be new behavior for my Icon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does my wifi signal always appear to be transmitting?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us, Shadedbulb. We are always here to assist and make sure your phone is running like intended to. You said this started happening late last week, and it did not happen before. Has there been any changes such as, app downloads or software updates done recently to your device? There can be multiple things that cause this icon to show signal transmitting. Are you noticing your data increase? Please advised if you see some changes to your usage reporting.

JorgeO_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
shadedbulb

Thanks for the reply!

I reset my phone (settings-about-reset), and that didn't change anything. Looking at Data Sense, there's no app suddenly transmitting a huge amount of data. Using the My Verizon Mobile app to see my usage, doesn't look like a huge jump there either. I'll be watching My Verizon data usage more closely over the next few days.

I don't know what my phone is constantly sending/receiving, if anything. Everything seems ok, haven't noticed a performance slow down.  The WiFi icon indicates it never stops, maybe a glitch?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

shadedbulb,

Thanks for keeping us posted. If you are not seeing any increased data usage then it may be just the phone reestablishing the connection when not being used for a while. Keep an eye on the data usage and keep us posted if you notice any drastic change.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes