Re: Who wants a premier offer for WP10?ie Lumia 950,950xl
ShadowRider
Enthusiast - Level 3

and how much longer do we wait for that to maybe happen?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Next year sometime.

The 950/XL are nothing more to showcase Windows 10 and what it can do. They needed to release something and didn't want to spend a lot of resources.

0 Likes
ShadowRider
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally connected with Richard R in Executive Relations.  What a waste of time.  Could hear him doing some typing, but no new information.  Same stuff we get from the bots at Customer Service here in the forums.  Can not believe they spend that much time just to say "sorry, but...."  Maybe everyone should send those notes directly to the executive from their page.

0 Likes
slippercream
Enthusiast - Level 1

My saving grace at the moment is that I do have a TMO sim, which I will definitely end up using more until such time... or if at all... a suitable Verizon phone comes out.  And that's all dependent on whether I decide not to switch over completely. 

I will comment on both MSFT and VZW.

On the former, it's no secret that it's an MS habit to take the quickest path to market with new devices - most of the time because they're lagging against competitors.  It doesn't help them either to depend on initial release feedback from customer complaints  (i.e. the Surface Book) to determine bug fix.  That's one of the fundamental differences between AAPL and MSFT - that Redmond is quicker to market with more bugs thanks to less thorough testing, while Cupertino will go above and beyond to deliver a thoroughly-tested product.  Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more to have a product that won't conk out on me as soon as I drive it out of the lot.  Moreover, it's pretty common knowledge that the reason Apple has the fan base and brand loyalty it has is in large part due to their strategy of combining marketing and device features that support ease of use.  Microsoft is just getting there, but, just like HP, they operate like the same old crusty IT company of the late 80's and 90's.  I can only imagine how much innovation and creativity is lost each time they lay their skilled workforce off.

(On a side-note, visit #2 to the local MSFT store left me feeling like the sales staff didn't seem to care at all that there won't be VZW coverage either.  So, who's calling the kettle black?)

On Verizon, I realize that they now have a lot more to be concerned about competition creeping into their market share.  Brand identity has never been a problem for Verizon, and a lot of other companies I'm sure base their strategies on Verizon's own plans.  Someone else said it in this thread - it'll be so easy for a competitor to capitalize on Verizon's "garbage" if it put their backs behind MSFT.  "PC Does What"?  Imagine if the "Un-Carrier" decided to invest in this opportunity and won big.

That's the challenge of those at the top --- it's a very steep fall down.  And it would be terribly unfortunate if Verizon decided way too late that they've been putting all their chips on 2 out of 3 major OS manufacturers, when the reality is, MSFT isn't going away anytime soon, and shows no signs of giving way to IOS nor Android nor their cloud offerings that can't quite compare to what MSFT has to offer.

As uninformed as I am about mobile technologies and what makes my phone get a signal, etc.,  I'm going to wait eagerly and hope that I can find a way to hack into this nonsense and make the phone work.  Even if it means I forward all my VZW calls to my TMO number.  As a person who personally has 13 working Windows devices in my household and vehicles  (3 of which I take to work with me wherever in the world I travel),  I consider myself to be well invested in everything MS.  Regardless of how well invested the rest of the world is, I wonder how much the MS userbase is worth losing to Verizon.  And how much the "Nation's #1 Network" can boost sales (and market share) for MS on the mobile soundstage.

Not a lot of foresight here on both parties.

0 Likes
NolMac
Enthusiast - Level 2

And I thought I was all in on W10. WP/android vs iOS are vastly different OS. The iOS is here's your phone we've take the liberty of taking care of everything for you. You're restricted from making any changes. Apple only needs to test this one scenario, because Apple only allows one scenario. Now obviously you can jailbreak an iPhone which would give you the abilities, customization, and etc. Android or WP can give you to an extent. I promise you that it's just as buggy as any other OS at that point. Apple doesn't test that far. Android and WP have much more scenarios that could happen. Why Apple would test more then Microsoft is a waste of money.

One thing that Microsoft gets a lot of end users in preview programs. The people with a wide arrange of uses, but targets the heavier users. I thought Apple only releases it to developers and not nearly as early as Microsoft does. For the simple fact that they don't need to test as much. The thing that I'll commend Apple for is besides being marketing genius. Is that how much high end computing are we really doing on our phone? Do we really need a lot of customization to check our mail? I think it's smart and what the majority of people need.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Apple does release it to more than just developers. It works just like preview but anything before that is only available to developers.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
0 Likes
slippercream
Enthusiast - Level 1

Apple's forte is one that matches their niche offering:  long-term supportability.  As opposed to Google's or MS' forte, Apple doesn't release a new phone every quarter.  Maybe once in three years.  And so, yes - they want to ensure that it's a stable product that can sustain years of use until the next iteration comes out.

Not that I'm a fan of Apple - not at all  (see my screenname --- Win Mobile far outdates the initial release of the iPhone.. .by about 5 years).  But I can't deny the engineering that goes into their devices.  The MacBook has always been cutting edge.  Microsoft tries to match, but it always ends up releasing bleeding edge.  See each iteration of Office.  Or Windows OS' over the years.  Always a lot of bugs to fix.  The release strategy is all about "speed to market" and not so much how to minimize the volume support tickets that inadvertently come with a hastened product development strategy --- which, I admit, is wild speculation.

But, again, just look at how long it takes for a MS product to be stable once released.  Even Win10 today has so many little kinks to fix.  My emails on my desktop still can't render embedded images!  And Win10 mobile on my 928, a mere 1 month to its intended sale date  in Europe.... still can't retain a proper lock screen that shows live tile updates!

One month to Go-Live... this should be about logistics execution - how to get the product to retailers and store shelves.  Not testing.  Or, in this case, closed-loop development.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Apple has been having it's own share of problems as of late. iOS 8.0.1 was a total disaster. Fixes/updates for iOS 9 are rolling out in a Conga Line. El Capitan has issues.

Hardware issues as well...but not as severe as the SB's.

Hopefully Surface Phones will be coming to VZW. I like my Samsung Galaxy S4...but...there are things with Lollipop that I'm happy with.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not happy with...

0 Likes