Re: Where is Portico for HTC 8x?
mayno71
Enthusiast - Level 2

what are you talking about?!

1. complaining doesn't help? you cannot be serious. what happened when Apple removed Google Maps and replaced it w/ Apple Maps in iOS 6? how did customers respond and what was Apple's response? i seem to recall the CEO publicy apologizing! aside from that if you don't complain, then nothing will happen. complaining on this forum and on social networks (like facebook, twitter, instagram etc.) about a crappy service HURTS a brand (in this case its Verizon and HTC gets hurt as well just by proxy)...and negative PR is BAD for any company and they know it. and the more people complain, the quicker it will get resolved.
  2. regarding OS updates, again what are you talking about? Microsoft releases updates (via Windows Update in the OS) almost on a weekly basis to fix security flaws, bugs etc. and all FOR FREE! so i have no clue what you're talking about. when we bought the phone we also bought the OS which is W8 so it's mine and i (and the rest of the W8 customers) deserve the updates.

so please if you're gonna reply, please make sense.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

On mac yes you get free updates to fixes and minor updates duh. So yes updates someone should expect to fix and stop comparing cars to phones .

Your talking about New OS on mac yearly upgrades, were talking about bug fixes/ updates big difference. windows don't have now so not sure how there doing the OS upgrades.

absonj
Enthusiast - Level 1

But the maps fix was Apple, and was released through Apple, the carriers are bound by Apple and as such, the releases come directly from Apple, not the carrier. This update is being released through Windows, but the carriers arent bound by the same contracts as Apple, and as such, its up to the carrier to release these updates. And we all know how awful Verizon is regarding updates, especially on phones they don't support (helps you get to the point where you buy a new phone, more money for them)

So complaining when everyone knows how bad Verizon is isn't helping, ask the Thunderbolt owners how long and how many updates were skipped, same issue here. We quit complaining long ago, because it doesn't help.

And back to the updates, where in your contract does it say Verizon (or Windows) will release updates? If its expected, then thats based on my expectations, not the manufacturer. Yes, car analogies may not have been the best option. But when I signed the contract, nowhere does it say I will get updates to the OS. If there are bugs in the OS, should I expect the service provider to provide me with the updates, or the OS developer? The bug fixes in Windows come from Windows, not your equipment manufacturer nor your ISP.

If Verizon continues down this road, they will loose business, that we all know, but being at the top, means you can loose a lot before you hit rock bottom. I think Windows should provide an app that allows you to get updates from them without the Verizon blocking.

Again, I believe it comes down to where does it say Verizon has to provide you with OS updates? If its in writing, then theres a case, otherwise don't assume you will get the latest updates, they don't have to provide it, and thats what thier lawyers will say as well. It sucks, I agree, but again, the squeeky wheel doesn't always get greased, just saying.

My name is Jerry, and this is my Windows phone.

0 Likes
mayno71
Enthusiast - Level 2

"it comes down to where does it say Verizon has to provide you with OS updates?"

that is besides the point. u simply don't get it. if there's update that fixes bugs and features for a specific OS, then it should be released. WHY? Because it's the right thing to do for the customer, and if i were HTC, i would be complaining to Verizon because it's now hurting the HTC brand! honestly, i'm tired of hearing your nonsense. please refrain. you are the type of customer that companies love because you're the ones who don't voice their concerns when there are valid gripes about the products or services they sell.

0 Likes
NickxxVT
Enthusiast - Level 2

The main reason why people are so upset about the lack of updates, is because Verizon is the only carrier that hasn't given it to us yet. Other carriers sent the update out to users back in December. When I pay my phone bill, I think I should get some better customer service to go along with it, and some more product support. If they don't support the products they sell, they're just going to lose customers.

0 Likes
mayno71
Enthusiast - Level 2

don't even bother.. absonj just doesn't get it.

0 Likes
absonj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get it, but complaining when you know the answer is like tring to catch a greased pig. Eventually you'll realize the pig likes it.

And yes NickxxVT, I agree, but after being first hand with a Thunderbolt and waiting 2 years for an update (2.3 to 4.0, see all the missed updates?) made me realize one thing. Bitc**ng about it did two things, gave me a headache, and a phone without an update.

My name is Jerry, and this is my Windows phone.

0 Likes
NickxxVT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems like the complaining was worth it. Just installed the update

absonj
Enthusiast - Level 1

Crazy! Thats good news. I am checking now for updates. Odd since I am set to tell me when uopdates are available on my phone. Its checking.....

Nice! Now to go make room! Lets see how it goes!

And 1 for 2 aint bad!

0 Likes
NickxxVT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine was set the same way. It never told me, I found out while browsing some forums. Took about 20 minutes over WiFi.

0 Likes