Re: Where for art thou Samsung Odyssey?
lostxtsol
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
Eric_D
Enthusiast - Level 2

Two known issues with the Lumia 822:

1. I have a Ford with Sync and every Windows Phone has an issue where sometimes a bluetooth call starts "in privacy" which means you have to push a button on the steering wheel before the caller can hear you.

2. Phone couldn't sync with my laptop running Win 7 until I took my SD card out. I may have to reformat it, which many boards showed users having success after doing so.

I really like the 822 so far even if it isn't a "flagship" phone. A little thick but it's just the right size screen-wise. I don't think I'd want to go too much past 4.3" from the perspective of one-handed phone use.

0 Likes
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Count me as another customer who is looking off HTC after a horrible experience with the Thunderbolt.  Hands-down a miserable smartphone experience.  The lack of support, bug-fixes, updates from HTC and VZW has made me incredibly leery to pick up another HTC.

0 Likes
cigar1

Verizon has confirmed it will start selling the Samsung Ativ Odyssey  Windows Phone handset very soon, but hasn’t given it a price tag. Previous  statements made by a Verizon spokesperson lead us to believe it could be a free  phone on a two-year contract.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-ativ-odyssey-windows-phone-coming-soon-to-verizon/#ixzz2...

Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

I was hopeing that when theyrelesed it would be with a 4.8 screen like the one in the UK. Not the 4.Note 2 here I come

0 Likes
cfordg

According to what I've been able to find on articles posted after CES where Verizon showed off the ATIV Odyssey, there is a proposed release date of 1/24/13. However, the specs on the phone are a major disappointment especially the screen size which is said to be 4" rather than anything near the 4.8" speced for the ATIV S (which I've heard is not due to be released in the U.S.)

The Windows phone platform has been a major factor for me as I can run clients with QuickBooks Online on my HTC Trophy through the IE browser without losing functionality. This is not possible with Android Apps. The main drawback thus far is the small screen on the Trophy which requires constant zoom +/- to do so and slows things down, sometimes considerably. However, the small screen on the Odyssey really isn't a step up from my Trophy. There are still problems with the crippled Bluetooth stack in cellphone Windows 8, but I can't blame VZW for that.

Also, I have a grandfathered data plan from my Alltel days (29.95 unlimited) which I have been told will disappear on my next upgrade; I imagine because I'll be forced to move up to 4G and its higher pricing.

I'm tired of feeling like I'm caught in the middle of a love/hate affair between Verizon and MS where VZW doesn't really want to carry Windows phones, but throws their customers a bone so they can pat themselves on the back for doing so. I'm willing to pay the price for a real high-end Windows phone, but only when it's really high-end.

I wish VZW would either get into the deep end of the pool or get out entirely; I'm tired of swimming in the muddy water.

0 Likes
lostxtsol
Enthusiast - Level 3

amen my friend. we all come up for upgrade in march... i used to have tmobile, i can deal with lesser service if thats even true. Lord know in our town the entire shopping district is known for its crap verizon service. maybe its time to migrate for the hardware... cant get a worse deal on our monthly bill...

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

There are great windows phones on vzw 8x,  just cause people are bitching about not having lumia 920 oh my god now if i cant get that ill bitch and lie theres no high end phone on vzw. you people are a joke you need to leave. 

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

I swear you people act like 5 year olds crying over a PHONE lol.

0 Likes
CrimsonO2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great windows phoneS and you only named 1.  Ever heard of squeaky wheel getting the grease? 

It won't be "if", but "when" Verizon claims weak Windows demand from customers as to why they won't carry more, they need only look at their own forums to see why.

• Weak store marketing efforts (in store and online)
  • Mid-range offerings at best

We didn't say there wasn't a high-end phone on Verizon, we said it LACKED high end phone options.  I doubt you would be saying such things if the roles were reversed and Verizon only offered you the Samsung SII when all the other carriers offered the SIII.

I said it before, I won't pay as much as we do for phones and get stuck in 2-year contracts (that'll downgrade you from grandfathered plans) unless there's a phone worth getting stuck with.  That's why you're seeing the criticism a.k.a "crying" over the phone.

Jesse

chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

This isn't just about the Lumia.  There has been a years-long trend of Verizon putting its eggs in the network basket, and neglecting the devices.  I can think of several phones that other carriers got that VZW didn't--or had to wait a long time to get.  As quickly as technology evolves, a six month delay might as well be "never."  Remember when Microsoft did a marketing blitz for Windows 8 phones?  For a week they were doing the "Windows Phone Challenge" in their brick-and-mortar stores giving away phones.  How many options were there for AT&T?  About six.  How many for VZW?  One.  One single phone--and a mid-range one at that.

As for the 8X being a "great windows phone", I will have to take your word for it.  As a current HTC Thunderbolt owner, I have a brand aversion to HTC.  The TB is a dog.  It's buggy, and the support has been non-existent.  I'm quite leery to pick up another HTC.  Yet what are my options if I want a leading edge phone?  I have no options with VZW.

I understand that a carrier has to pick and choose what it carries.  I understand that there are exclusive agreements in play.  But VZW seems to have dropped the ball.  There are dozens of low-to-mid level phones to choose from, but very few leading edge phones.  The irony is, people who want to get a low-to-mid level phone aren't nearly as picky as to which make and model they get.  The people who are willing to drop $100-$200 (w/ 2-year contract) for a phone are the ones who want variety and selection.

0 Likes