I wish a Verizon employee would add a follow up to your question/response! I'm anxiously awaiting too. Wondering if the update adds VPN support.
Considering the OP didn't mark their post as a question, makes it very unlikely that any of the VZW employees will respond. They seem to only post in unanswered questions from what I have gathered.
I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.
Considering Verizon is slow to update it will most likely take longer than most carries by my Verizon rep said look to see it around mid January.
I spoke to a Verizon Representitive and was told that the update should have been pushed out on December 22, 2012 but there was a complication and that they have no ETA of when it will be pushed out.
I updated my phone by taking the following steps.
1. Put your phone into Airplane mode and then turn WiFi on then Shut phone off
2. Put in a friends T-Mobile SIM (if your device is unlocked)
3. Go to T-Mobile account management page and make sure that the IMEI is the same as your HTC 8X.
4. After saving the changes to #3, turn your phone on and make sure that it's in Airplane mode with WiFi turned on
5. Connect to your T-Mobile Store's WiFi hotspot (you must be in the store to do this)
6. Check updates and the Portico update should appear
7. Once updated, the phone will power cycle off. You must do this step quickly. In the middle of the power cycle, swap the SIM with your Verizon SIM
8. The phone will continue updating and turn on.
If you are not quick with #7, you may see a message saying that your device is "NOT" compatible with your carrier.
9. Enjoy Portico!
So this did work for you? Do you know if this works with AT&T SIMs and at the AT&T store? Do you know which features the update added? Did it add group text messaging?