Re: When will the 8.1 update be released for Nokia Lumia 929 (ICON)?
Not applicable

The seller is not Verizon. The resellers of these devices are many of which Verizon is one

Your device can be the best in the world, but won't be worth spit if it's not supported. Just a pretty no longer sold paper weight.

Think for a moment if the windows devices are not selling on the nations largest carrier how long before the others drop it as well? Just think about it.

0 Likes
robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

Elector wrote:

The seller is not Verizon. The resellers of these devices are many of which Verizon is one

Your device can be the best in the world, but won't be worth spit if it's not supported. Just a pretty no longer sold paper weight.

Think for a moment if the windows devices are not selling on the nations largest carrier how long before the others drop it as well? Just think about it.

The Lumia Icon has a Verizon screen at boot up and has Verizon printed on the back and front. Verizon is the one that needs to approve the update.  The Lumia 930 is the international version of this device.  It doesn't have any of the Verizon markings and guess what it does have WP 8.1!!  Verizon is the problem here they are abandoning the device and making it not worth "spit".  But then again luckily Microsoft provides a work around so most users could sign up for the developer preview.  After that the updates will come straight from Microsoft bypassing Verizon.

0 Likes
Not applicable

robert5050 wrote:

Elector wrote:

The Lumia Icon has a Verizon screen at boot up and has Verizon printed on the back and front. Verizon is the one that needs to approve the update.  The Lumia 930 is the international version of this device.  It doesn't have any of the Verizon markings and guess what it does have WP 8.1!!  Verizon is the problem here they are abandoning the device and making it not worth "spit".  But then again luckily Microsoft provides a work around so most users could sign up for the developer preview.  After that the updates will come straight from Microsoft bypassing Verizon.

The logo is called branding. My laptops have Acer, or Sony on boot up, it is on my unit. Same thing.

Verizon is not supporting it, now let's have other carriers not support it, oh wait I think I read T-Mobile dropped support for a windows phone I don't know the model number but dropped as well.

I wish all devices simply had system updates as iOS devices. But as of right now its not happening.

The constant posts of where is my update and the threats of leaving if we don't get it although good for venting it is doing absolutely no good. Still no updates, still no FCC intervention, no FTC intervention, and this is dragging on months now and no updates.

They don't have to give them is a fact, if and when they release any update is a bonus. Not a right.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Most laptops and desktops are not made by their respective manufacturers.

Most laptops, and desktops are actually made by Asus or Lenovo, and rebranded completely into DELs, HPs, and such.  Even the software updates that come from DEL, HP, and such come from the barebones manufacturers just rebranded again by these companies.

T-Mobile dropped support for the 710, and 810 which were poor selling devices, and Nokia was first to say no support for those devices.  So Nokia said the update is coming to the 928...  That's all we really need to know.  History has shown when the manufacturer says the update is coming the update does happen.  I have yet to see an update not happen when the manufacturer finishes the update and passes all the testing.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yeah I am aware of the process. Just like Ami Bios and most of my motherboards came from DFI and Creative Labs for sound and zoom tel for modems and hard drives by different vendors. I have been building and repairing them for years.

I was just using the example of how branding works. The cell phone was not made by Verizon wireless it is just a branded device.

Thanks for that T-Mobile info. I knew they dropped one of those windows devices.

robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

In addition to the crappy Verizon branding, they've put their Verizon backup assistant on there, and removed the visual Voicemail app.  You can get visual Voicemail back by paying 2.99 a month.  That's such a scam.  The other scam is not releasing the update.  Again this phone is perfectly capable of running the update as you can bypass Verizon and install it with the developer preview.  You keep trying to some how blame the manufacturer (Microsoft) but you won't admit it's Verizon that is holding up the software update.  I think if they don't approve the update, and don't support their customers who chose this device then leaving Verizon for a carrier that actually cares is a good thing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There are two versions of VVM.

What proof do you have that Verizon is withholding the update.  Just because AT&T has the software released doesn't mean Verizon is withholding.  It has to go through testing in more ways than one and Nokia will not tell you which part of testing they are on.  They only generalize all their testing.

0 Likes
robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon hasn't said a word about the update.  Keeping customers in the dark is not good.  If you look at this list, Availability in North America - Nokia, Every single Windows Phone on AT&T has the Cyan \ 8.1 update.  Six AT&T devices to be exact.  Of the 3 Verizon devices, none have the update.  Without any other information, one can only conclude this is a Verizon issue.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I have seen that, but where does it say it is finished and it passed all the testing?  I don't see it...  No transparency...

0 Likes
robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

At the top it says: "Under testing = undergoing final testing with Microsoft, country or operator to achieve approval."

You can install the Developer Preview from Microsoft and it works great.  Also the 930 which is almost identical already has 8.1. Therefore, it seems Microsoft has the software running perfectly fine on the device.  Second, our government is bad but I don't think this Country is holding up the release.  Therefore through common sense and elimination one can only conclude that Verizon has the slowest testing process that ever existed.

0 Likes