Re: When will the 8.1 update be released for Nokia Lumia 929 (ICON)?
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:

Who would you blame if a scenario like this happens?

Microsoft submits update

Verizon returns it 2 weeks later failed testing

Microsoft submits update 2 months later

Microsoft submits update 2 months later

Without knowing the dates submitted and returned with just one instance of Microsoft being transparent about anything.  I say we will never get this information from Microsoft.  They may have said it one time, but that's the only bone they are going to give.

You can't blame anyone specifically for something like this, but because of my current situation I have my own thoughts on who to blame. I have a (unfortunately large and influential) customer right now that bought a software product of ours and are very difficult to work with demanding changes that often affect existing functionality and impact existing users, so we delicately try to appease the one while not disrupting the many. It's a pain in the behind, and often the requests are nit-picky issues that have zero affect on the usability or overall functionality of the product. It's been a real drag on my team. We've been going round and round with them like this for months, and it's been a colossal money suck for a minuscule result.

0 Likes
Krug24

Will the WP 8.1 Update be relased for the icon in 2014?

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

I'd be shocked if it's ever released at this point. It's obvious that Verizon is now in a pissing contest with Microsoft over Verizon's bloatware that nobody wants anyway.

etchtech

Spoke to a customer service rep today -- still no date for the 8.1 update for the Lumia 929 (Icon).  At this point, Verizon should refund the price of the phone and allow customers to cancel their contracts without penalty  The Windows phones are marginalized without the 8.1 update, and the overall value of owning the phone will continue to decline until the update is applied.  Verizon's messaging around their Windows phones is misleading and potentially deceptive.  Verizon should discontinue selling Windows phones if they are not prepared to support them. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The latest OFFICIAL word from Microsoft. http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/12/19/verizon-announces-windows-phone-8-1-upgrades-for...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

Worthless without a date.

Early 2015 could mean just about anything before June and even that doesn't help. While it's better than nothing, seeing the 928 and 822 get updates before the Icon, which was noticeably killed off by Verizon after only 7 months (yeah, I know there's still stock via 3rd parties and Microsoft) still leaves me feeling uneasy about the whole thing as well as any future support.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is the best you are going to get until it is actually released.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

What makes you say that? Verizon has been so transparent and open with information.

Sheesh!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless never gives out information on when an update is expected especially if it is a future date. They only release the information when the update is ready to be pushed to the devices and that is normally the day of the update or one day before. After four/five years of experience with their update process, I'm quite familiar with what they will or won't tell the customers and when they do.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

As am I. I have no issue with not being first. I don't even mind being last, but the way this has been and continues to be handled is appalling! Given the circumstances we deserve an explanation.

Will we get one? Hell no. But that doesn't change the facts. Verizon's handling of this situation has sucked from day one.

0 Likes