Re: When will Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan Update be released? (Update)
IcemanAM
Enthusiast - Level 2

While I agree to an extent that an FCC complaint likely isn't apropriate in this case, I can't agree that Verizon doesn't have some degree of responsibility, at least for me personally.

When I purchased my phone, many of the features of WP 8.1 were already announced, and as such, were used as selling points by a Verizon sales person when choosing my phone. The promises of Cortana (specically, though at the time it was still just the code-name) and other features, such as security improvements, were actively discussed, and were a major consideration of mine when deciding to go with the 928.

Now, to be fair, I'll never know if corporate Verizon gave the sales rep that information, or if it was something generated by that local store, or if it was just something the rep found on thier own while surfing the web. All I know is I was basically fed "You should buy this, look what's coming down the pipe", so to speak.

Regardless, I don't think its unreasonable to assume that corporate Verizon likely bears significant responsibility for the training of its sales people (if not directly, then through publication of training materials), and ensuring that proper communication is extended from the top, down to its sales employees regarding the products it sells, and what, if any, of that communication is passed on to customers. If they truely think that future updates and improved functionalities are potentially something they will not persure, for whatever reason, then I think they have a duty to inform the customers verbally at the time of purchase, rather than actively use those features as sales leverage. It simply is not right to promote features they may not ever implement, ultimately at thier discretion.

Now, if I had the foresight to get these promises in writing, or had recorded the conversation, and if Verizon came out and said they will not push the update, I might have had a legitimate case of consumer fraud for which a civil action could've been started. But, as I have neither of these, my only real recourse might be to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Additionally one might question if part of the reason Verizon is comparatively slow in its updates might be because Verizon sells additional security which might compete with security improvements included in said updates. I don't know this to be true, of course, but it does raise an eyebrow.

In the meantime, I have elected to run the preview for developers, and I'm loving it, having had no problems as of yet. While I might be shooting myself in the foot over this, by now the upper level techs at Verizon must know that there are a number of software applications and YouTube instructions out there on how to reset one's phone back to Nokia Black should Cyan cause problems, giving the appearance that no warrentee was ever violated, and that the store based "techs" couldn't find their own asses with both hands, let alone uncover such a deception.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Never believe sales people. They make their livelihood on generating sales. Not that deception is not one of the tools they use to make a sale.

Let's look at another point. You go into Best Buy the store salesperson says all these updates are coming and good things from Microsoft and the device maker. Now six months or more go by and no updates.

Do you then go after Best Buy? They are a retailer just like Verizon Wireless and the other carriers.

So on the retail side of Verizon that same sales pitch was made. So why would anyone think the carriers are obligated to push out any updates?

My personal take is the carriers cannot be held responsible for the updates. In fact when I buy my phones I am not looking for updates. I am looking at the functionality of the device at time of purchase. I do not expect nor in many cases want an update.

However on Apple devices the phones get updates on a regular basis from the device maker. This is what should happen with all device makers. Will it happen eventually? One can only hope.

As has been pointed out complaints to the FCC are pointless and baseless. They do not compel any carriers to update the devices.

Now let's look at your BBB complaint. What basis of complaint can be made? Verizon lied as a retailer to effect a sale? Well if that is the case then Walmarts and Best Buy and Radio Shack etc. Are just as guilty.

In this case what can the Better Business Bureau do? They cannot make Verizon or any carrier update your device.

And I have told many forum posters to use the BBB over the years to get money back, get phone charges removed and even get charges removed for returned devices. A phone update? I really don't think so.

If you device works now, be thankful. Then if you happen to receive an update in the future its a bonus.

Constantly posting on the forum about "where is our update" is absolutely useless.

But I liked your post.

Good Luck

primortal
Master - Level 1

Look you're enforcing your logic on a company that uses no logic, just motivate by profit.  VZW is responsible for devices on their network and the devices software. End. Of. Story.  You might not like it, tough; deal with it.  They have a responsibility to communicate to their customers what their plans are if and when they are rolling out the updates to said devices.

In regards to the iPhone, the same complaints came when 4.3 was released; Come on Verizon, where is the 4.3 update?  So VZW did even hold up a release to iOS, gee.