Re: When will Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan Update be released? (Update)
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

So here is the catch.  Verizon cannot close your FCC case without you responding to their questions and letting them know you got your update or that your complaint is satisfied.  I am not sure what language you used with your complaint, but strange for them to call prior to the release.  The last 3 that I filed - I did not get a call from Verizon until the update came out.  They called after that and I confirmed my download.  But there's more...

As you can read from the blah, blah, blah above in the prior 10 pages of posts, the self-justifying blowhards have worn out their keyboards confirming the obvious.  There is not much that we can "force" Verizon to do.  It says so in our "customer contract" along with a list of lawsuit limitations - because VZW knows that is coming too.  This "no contract - no service" strong-arm tactic works the same way with your cable company, power company, bank, and other such semi-monopoly organizations that you are essentially "forced" to work with.  Sign the 1-sided contract or no service.

As I have mentioned in the past,  there is also, ironically, a government watchdog out there for a majority of those semi-monopolies.  With Verizon, the FCC looks over their shoulder.  "Check with Microsoft" was a very poor answer from your Verizon Rep because Microsoft tells us to call the FCC to complain about Verizon and the update.

So filing the complaint with the FCC does a few things.  It piles up a common list of complaints regarding Verizon with the FCC.  It does not matter if our complaint is a part of our contract or not.  It does not matter of our complaint pertains to some kind of FCC regulation.  The FCC collects our complaints and keeps stats.

NEXT, your complaint prompts Verizon to contact the  YOU to close out the FCC complaint.  This is where we need to act.

When Verizon calls to confirm that your FCC complaint has been satisfied, DO NOT CONFIRM ANYTHING.  Tell them that you are still having issue and request from them contact names, phone numbers and/or email addresses within Verizon where you can complaint directly to management.  Demand escalation points and be sure to get the name and phone number of the Damage Control Rep from VZW who calls you.

Verizon needs to be held accountable for some kind of change.  Either let Microsoft push the update out direct.  Verizon push the update out based on a documented schedule.  Verizon push the update out the day it is released.  Verizon work with Microsoft to pre-release test the update.  Or, some other reasonable resolution that is customer focused.  The Verizon points at Microsoft who points at the FCC go nowhere circle of "who cares" has got to end.  And since Verizon has 100% control of my phone while I am on their network - regardless of what their contract states - I plan to hold them 100% responsible for clearing this problem up.  And as I approach the end of Round 4 of my FCC complaints, I am going to make sure that THIS TIME I walk out with some VZW names and numbers.  It's time for some accountability.

www.fcc.gov/complaints  Got your 8.1 Cyan update yet?

0 Likes
winnamon84

I have an HTC, so I don't think I will be getting the Cyan.  Maybe I am just wrong on that end.  Either way I do not have my 8.1 update yet.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Good luck...

I have not seen any factual evidence that the carriers are involved the way you think. Actually manufacturers have said themselves it doesn't work like the way you think...

The FCC follows protocol but I will tell you now this is wasted effort. FCC regulations MATTER. If nothing has passed regulation no update could ever happen PERIOD. So if Verizon isn't releasing an update and the manufacturer hasn't passed FCC testing then Verizon is automatically off the hook.

If you guys submitted something f with your complaint that shows the update passed the FCC and respective licensing consortium then you'd have a case or something that would stick.

Best of luck to you all. I have been through the system in both Europe and in the states. There's a lot less involved and red tape in Europe.

0 Likes
JIce88
Enthusiast - Level 3

Cyan update is a firmware update for the Nokia/Microsoft device. I do not know if windows 8.1 update will require a firmware update for HTC. I would check Windows Phone Central Forums for more info on that.

0 Likes
CHopper461
Enthusiast - Level 1

Everyone just relax and take a deep breath.  The 8.1/Cyan update will be released starting tomorrow for all Nokia phones currently running WP8.0.  Verizon said it would so it will.  Right?

0 Likes
JIce88
Enthusiast - Level 3

I really wish I had gone with the 1520 on AT&T. They seemed quite eager to get the updates to there customers. So far the 1520, the 925 and the 520, all got the update.

The Lumia 930 is the international variant of the Icon, and that comes with Cyan firmware and windows 8.1 The only thing Verizon needs to test is how it works with their network, I have no information on any changes to firmware regarding the cellular connectivity. So what is it that Verizon is actually testing?

I have no reason to believe that there are any benefits to us that will come about from this 'testing.' I call shenanigans.

I really wish a Verizon Exec would take the time to explain to us what they are actually testing, and what benefits they feel they can give us that Nokia/Microsoft cannot.

0 Likes
winnamon84

When did Verizon say this????

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon is under no obligation to update your device. That obligation is Microsoft and the device maker.

You keep telling people to file FCC complaints which by your own postings show you do not know what you are writing about.

Verizon is a business like Walmart and Best Buy etc.

I noticed T-Mobile forums are complaining about not getting Windows updates, and more on folks waiting for seven months on ETF's reimbursed. So complaints abound on all carriers.

Again as I posted to you in the past, post positive proof that any complaint you submitted to the FCC actually made Verizon wireless jump and give an update. Proof, or stop the constant lying about Microsoft and Verizon.

Have a nice Tuesday

Message was edited as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Again you are not going to convince anyone otherwise.  Just because you don't agree with MadDogFL62 tactics doesn't make it wrong.  Just because technically the FCC isn't the place to go; it's the only place to get awareness and a response from VZW.

I understand your logic but when it comes down to the wire VZW has final say if the release gets to the phones or not.  VZW put themselves in this place instead of letting the manufactures do the release so they have to deal with these complains.  As a paying customer complaining to VZW gets you nowhere and they feel they don't have to answers to us; you know the ones that gives them that wonder profit each quarter.  So the only other route is the FCC.

The FCC could easily respond back to the submitter that their complaint isn't valid and close it.  Yet they do see merit in it and contact VZW on the submitters behalf.

If Microsoft is truly the ones holding up the release (which I strongly believe) then VZW should say so and all these FCC complaints will go away.  Yet they remain quite...

Sometimes you have to do the wrong things to get the right things done.

mythos28th
Enthusiast - Level 3

Shenanigans indeed!  It's simple, Verizon Wireless got my bill to me on time this month!  Why can't the technical support be as timely.  The customer is always right.  When can we expect the the Windows 8.1 update?

0 Likes