Re: When will Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan Update be released? (Update)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that I can't wait for new software to be released. While I don't have a date for you when the next new software will be available, but let's see if we can't do something for that phone, in the meantime! I definitely don't want  your current data experience with your phone to impact our standing as your provider! What exactly is going on with your device when it tries to access data? How long have you had this issue?

SandyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @Vzwsupport

0 Likes
OldPirate
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't really wish to blame anyone.  I just want 8.1 to show up for download on my phone.  That's all I ask.

As far as Verizon's role..well......they sold me this phone as the "top of the line Window's phone with a new OS release that is eminent."

So they do have some responsibility I would think to make sure that any updates to the phone they sold me by the manufacturer or firmware provider get to me as quickly as possible.  That was part of the deal as I understood it.

I don't want to fuss.  I just want them to pass the updates through.  I really do wish the rules concerning "bloat ware" on computers applied to telephones.  I spend time at the purchase of each phone taking everything off except the OS and firmware and then putting on the programs I want.  After all, it is my phone, and no one else's when I buy it.

If those rules applied something tells me that firmware and OS updates would flow pretty fast.

I get good service from Verizon so all I want and politely ask for is to update my Windows equipment with the same sense of urgency you did when I used Apple products through your system.  After using Windows 8 in conjunction with all my other Windows 8.1 devices I'll probably never go back to Android or Apple, but one should never say, "never".

But for the next few years I'd think every phone carrier would see the wisdom of making sure their Windows phones were current because I think that 800 pound Gorilla has found the phone room and is stirring around.

0 Likes
Not applicable

My personal opinion, there should be no promises of any updates.

The cellular providers push them out as needed. However like Apple devices no carrier should do any updating.

The problem as I am reading in your post is you are equating Verizon the retailer as being responsible to update what they sold. There is no reason to expect that. Other retailers sell the devices Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack or sears etc. They are not going to update your device.

Verizon is not obligated to update anything. The device makers should do that themselves and should push to get the carriers out of these crazy updates.

A good case outside of Apple is HTC. When I owned the HTC One I updated from the web site. This I strongly believe should be for all devices.

And I agree, no crapware should be placed on any device you the customer pays for. Remember Verizon and others are not giving you anything so on your device they should place nothing on it adware or crapware wise.

Good Luck

OldPirate
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not that simple.

Sony continuously updates the firmware in the cameras I bought from them.  I have to go on their web site, but it is there.  One of them 7 times since I bought it and each time the camera experience is improved.

Ford/Lincoln updates the Microsoft Sych system a few times each year.  Not a Ford product, but came on the Ford/Lincoln car.  Exactly the same as the OS and firmware came on the Nokia phone Verizon sold me.

My Passat navigation and sync system is updated regularly too.  Not sure who wrote their software, but it was not done by Volkswagen and yet Volkswagen makes sure I get those updates just like Lincoln does with my wife's car.

So if Verizon really wanted me to get the best out of the phone they sold me they will make sure I get all the updates as they roll out.  The same way Lincoln and Volkswagen seem to want to do.  In this day and time of firmware updates that seems only common sense and reasonable expectations.  How many updates does one get from a Blue Ray players or even devices with Netflix built in?

Microsoft put an option in Windows 8.1 that lets you bypass the carrier for future updates, so it'll be interesting to see if Verizon leaves it in or takes it out.

Out of curiosity I went to my local Verizon store at lunch and asked about the update.  The first one didn't know what I was talking about and the second one although very nice read off of his computer that the update was just released on August 4th not mid July as I was telling him.

I then asked him if what he was looking at was WindowsPhone 8.1 or WindowsPhone 8.1 update and of course it was the latter.

He then said..."if they are already updating the release then certainly you should have it any day."

I guess ignorance is bliss for phone salesmen or else they would be always be conflicted by knowing what was coming versus selling what is on their shelves today.  In a fast changing world that could be a real problem, but for the consumer it becomes important to know that when firmware improvements are available that they are assured it will be coming relatively quickly.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Car analogies are not always the best to use when speaking of cellular devices.

My new car gets updates to the uconnect system however it is subscription based for the traffic avoider and the weather alerts of which I don't really need.

As you have said the makers should just use that web based updates since it really is their products.

Verizon makes nothing but money.

My Bluetooth devices update over the web, my sony tablet is updated by Sony over the air through WiFi and the basic premise is I strongly believe this is the way it should be done for devices used on cellular carriers.

It should not be a yell and scream and threaten process to blame the carriers for these updates.

As I said previously I strongly believe this update or upgrade process should be made available over the web from the device makers themselves, and not from any carrier. Maybe in the future this will be done.

Until then it is just a waiting game.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes but then people believe since they sign a 2 year contract the carrier should be liable for everything that goes wrong. One of the main reasons why if it were me I would want to look at things prior to release of anything. My neck is on the line not theirs.

Look at Europe says a lot right there. They blame manufacturers regardless if they sign a contract or not. Look how often they get updates. Also their ITU is less strict than FCC testing(I been through the process for both at my job).

0 Likes
Not applicable

Customers have a two fold misconception.

1) Verizon just sells cellular and data services for the device to access the network

2) Verizon acts as a retailer just like Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack or Costco etc.

However customers believe that being the cellular provider entitles them to get updates as a right when in fact it is done as a courtesy and even warranty service is done as a courtesy. If the customers were to read the device inserts the warranty is not Verizon's or any carriers responsibility.

In the second state as a retailer just like Walmart etc. These retailers have a 15 days return policy. After that you deal with the device maker. As it states in the written warranty. Again selling the devices does not equate to warranty or device updates from the carriers. But people still he and haw  and threaten the carriers.

Which only provide you with access to the cellular and data networks. Not repairs, not updates period.

That is what really gets my temper going. The anger is from customers directed to the wrong place.

And if you buy any device from Walmart or Target etc. They don't update or repair your phones then why should?d Verizon and the other carriers.

None of this loyal customer crap. You pay for connection to the network. That's it.

Good Luck

Tidbits
Legend

That's exactly what I was pointing at.  There's a misconception people have.  you just explained it better.

Tidbits
Legend

wanted to add... AT&T and T-Mobile making progress...  There's a lot of people still complaining on their respective forums as to why they don't get their updates.

0 Likes
winnamon84

MadDogFL62 just received my call from Verizon about my FCC complaint, and they are still giving the same old canned answers.  Check Microsoft, Verizon to stay up to date.  So hopefully with more complaints they will be updating their devices soon.   Let me know your thoughts

0 Likes