When will Windows 8.1 be released?
Anthonykoch

Just upgraded our second phone to the  Icon phone back in September and love them both.  But like others am wondering when or if we are ever to see the 8.1 upgrade.  I received numerous emails in reference to it but of course it was if I bought a different phone.   You advertise for it all the time and even do cute commercials for Cortina ...  But you have yet to send an email to your current users on the status of this update.  Have trolled boards on this site and I see no replies period on this subject.  Verizon you provide pretty good service but am noticing that your customer service level for existing customers is lacking.  Considering I pay a hefty bill each month to you , you think that would be appreciated enough to get a simple email in regards to the time table that existing customers will get this update

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Windows 8.1 Release
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Anthonykoch,

I understand your eagerness to get into the latest software. Verizon Wireless does not provide timetables for the release of software updates. We do not have information available prior to the announcement that the software has been released. I apologize on behalf of Verizon Wireless for any inconvenience. You can check for updates here: http://vz.to/1tDjEBG or sign up to receive announcements from Verizon Wireless here: http://bit.ly/dDumph

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Anthonykoch,

I understand your eagerness to get into the latest software. Verizon Wireless does not provide timetables for the release of software updates. We do not have information available prior to the announcement that the software has been released. I apologize on behalf of Verizon Wireless for any inconvenience. You can check for updates here: http://vz.to/1tDjEBG or sign up to receive announcements from Verizon Wireless here: http://bit.ly/dDumph

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DC4000
Contributor - Level 1

I know a lot of people want the update, and a lot of people might not be happy to hear a status update, but I think the majority of us are just wanting some kind of statement one way or the other about it. It has been months.

First, Verizon released the Icon very late. Then, the updates are delayed (still ongoing). Now, the Icon has pretty much been discontinued early.

I know we have some hostile trolls chopping people down, targeting every person who questions the update, pretending to have every correct assumption, and being pretty much jerks on here. However, many people just want a status update and they will leave it alone.

Yes - all-mighty, omniscient ones - we know:

"Verizon doesn't owe status updates"

"Verizon doesn't have to update phones"

"Phones work as expected at the time they were bought"

"It's Microsoft's fault"

"It's Nokia's fault"

"It's Qualcomm's fault"

"It's the FCC's fault"

"It's the WWE's fault"

-however- Just stating it would be cool if Verizon would tell us something. If Verizon didn't want to be asked about updates, then they shouldn't have gotten involved with approving them and pushing them out process.

No im not "holding my breath" about it, but stating what most people are wanting.

penterax
Enthusiast - Level 3

BrianP, they may not inform you at your level of customer service but it is a lie to say Verizon doesn't know anything about updates. Microsoft and Nokia released their respective improvements months ago, saying it would be ready for download within weeks, depending on you service provider. That means Verizon should be done with their validation process unless there are problems.

If there ARE problems, then all Verizon has to do is tell us so. "We had to send it back to Microsoft with a list of fixes." Simple as that. Instead we get ignored and even lied to. Posts like yours do not help at all.

codingninja
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too would like to know when Windows 8.1 will be available for Windows phones. The Microsoft Band came out not too long ago and windows phones such as Nokia Icon under Verizon cannot use the Microsoft Health app because it's not Windows 8.1. Thus it's poor marketing in my opinion to not have 8.1 available at this time. Less people may be willing to buy Windows phones under Verizon because they don't approve updates that quickly. When it comes to operating system upgrades, they are very important. I know it's not really anyone's fault, but any sort of status update would be nice. Like, whether or not the update will be released in December, January, February etc. It doesn't even need to be an exact date. An educated approximation would be nice. Thank you.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

You'll probably have a better change getting blood from a stone than to hear a timetable from VZW.

You can use the Microsoft Health app with the Band and Icon.  Both have been running flawless for me on my Icon.

codingninja
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh! primortal, please let me know how you were able to get the Microsoft Health app on your Icon. Somehow I am unable to install the app as it claims it's not available for my device. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

primortal
Master - Level 1

Sorry codingninja forgot that the app needs Windows Phone 8.1 installed, which I do have via the Preview for Developers program.

It's worth joining the Preview for Developers program though.  You'll won't get the frimware (Cyan) but you'll have the latest version of the OS and can use the app and the Band

0 Likes
codingninja
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ah I see. Thanks! primortal, how do you join the Preview for Developers program? Is it through Verizon?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Nope it's through Microsoft, so no OSBlock from VZW

Go to Windows Phone Preview for Developers – Windows app development and for Step 1 select Option 2.  Once that is done then proceed to Step 3.