Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin
Tidbits
Legend

DC4000 wrote:

But yet we have all of these wonderful new devices on Verizon at the same time everyone else gets them. We don't need to wait on the FCC when new phones are ready to be sold. Magically, Apple Iphones on Verizon's CDMA network don't have to wait 6 months.

Not buying it.

Of course we wait for the FCC when new devices are sold.... WHY do you think there is the FCC logo on devices...  Get serious here. Why do you think they show things like this?

Mammoth Nokia Lumia passes through FCC, destined for Verizon | Windows Phone Central

Moto X+1/Moto X Play passes through the FCC

Let me explain how Apple does it...  Join ADC($99) if you want further backing to this information...  When Apple finishes all their devices they update them.  They WAIT.  They don't push out the one for the 5S then make the 5, 4S, and 4(I think they are finally dropping support for iOS 8 on the 4 and lower).  So it gives you the placebo effect what you are looking at.  You wait a year on Major updates the beta's are usually 6+ months and you can see WHERE they are done with the RIL/HAL which gone through testing.  IF they don't touch the code after it passes you don't need to resubmit them... 

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin
Roulo

Same deal with me.... I called Verizon on June 1st... told them I only wanted to buy the ICON (which BTW I shelled out $600.00 for)  IF IT WAS GETTING THE 8.1 UPDATE... the verizon rep told me it was coming out June 15th... SO I BOUGHT THE PHONE...  Guess I'm just STUPID for believing them.  Won't make that mistake again.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Hopefully this is the case that the Lumia Icon gets Denim first, because that is the phone I have. Of course I would like that everybody got the update at the same time.

Just throwing this out there to be exact: Q4 starts in November and ends in December.

Although we WP users probably feel like we have been put on the back burner, if this Denim update were to come out in November it may be good marketing on Verizon's side. Before black Friday a lot of people will have heard/seen the new Cortana and other features form the update on the flagship phones, which may cause people to pick them up for Christmas gifts.

I know Elector and Tidbits come at all this from a different angle since they are in the industry. They have some good reasons that people should not feel entitled to updates and I have concurred with some of these reasons myself. I think they are stretching it though when it comes to Verizon customers, maybe not all Verizon customers, but epically those of us who are paying a lot of money for service and flagship technology.

I myself work in an industry where the owner of a project pays good money and expects the project, which has tight deadlines, to be complete and of good quality. I know this is also the case in many other industries. Software engineering is not exempt from this either (there is a maintenance period for all software, operating systems included). I myself also pay good money to Verizon and expect timely and quality updates. I don't think this is an entitlement because I pay a pretty penny for Verizon's service. If I were on a cheaper prepaid piggyback network I would not expect this. If I were on a prepaid network and thought that I should get updates then I would be a part of those who feel they are entitled to things for free. I am not a part of a prepaid network and I do not feel entitled to things. I believe in hard work for myself and others. Hard work pays off. I hope Verizon, Microsoft/Nokia, and any other party affiliated with this update are putting in hard work or overtime to get these updates out.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You said it yourself. You pay Verizon for their services. Verizon doesn't touch code(manufacturers admitted this multiple times). Also updating devices isn't part of their services since they don't touch code. Think about it.

You paid the manufacturer for the flagship technology not Verizon.

Ths is one of the reasons why i root for VoLTE. When that happens manufacturers can build one device and sell one device. Essentially getting rid of carrier branding. Then what i speculate will happen... People will still find something to complain about and blame the carrier instead of the manufacturer still. You can see that on T-MOBILE and AT&T boards as examples.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Look at the iPhone. Everyone is in agreement that Apple controls their devices. They like to take the blame on their user experience... Yet look at threads here or any carrier in the states... When people have problems they often blame the carrier. People want to go more "Apple-esk".

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits,

By this question I am about to ask you, I am not questioning you or disagreeing with you, but I am sincerely interested in your resources, information, and knowledge of the industry since you proclaim to have knowledge about the industry. My question: First, where can I find this information that manufactures have admitted that Carriers do not touch code? (Links, I couldn't find it in the quick online search that I did, not saying it is not out there it is just that maybe I am not searching for the information that you would search for.) Second, where can I get information about the company who actually does do the development of the operating systems between Microsoft, Verizon's apps, and etc.?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Google and Sony did an AOSP project.  Keep in mind AOSP is Open Source and ANYONE can touch this code.  This would make more sense if people argued carriers touch code.  Proprietary code is a entirely different matter, and dealing with Microsoft in my line of work I have yet to see MS give any authority to any 3rd party member for any of their code ever.  This poses security risks

Since the AOSP project Motorola, and HTC stepped forward and explained their update processes in which they said this specifically "We give a list of options to carriers to choose from(would have to if carrier doesn't touch code).  We also receive any apps which is given by the carrier".

Look at HTC update process 7, and 8.  Now if carriers touch code and had the source code those two processes wouldn't be there.  There would be no point for them.  Also Carriers don't come into the mix until they are ready to LE certify.  Now Motorola released the same thing just different terminology, but exactly the same.  Sony's way of doing it is the same.

Sorry I know these are Android devices, but come on...  You know Good and well Microsoft is proprietary and wouldn't want everyone to look at their code.  The best anyone is going to get is hooks and no source code from MS.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Here's HTC update process.  Android is open source, but Sense isn't.  HTC, Sony, Samsung isn't going to give their proprietary code to anyone...  MS wouldn't either.

HTC Software Updates | HTC United States

Just click on the Android head after the message.

To see a diagram of the full process

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

I like that HTC is being transparent in their process by telling the consumer at what step they are in the process. I think the process should be this transparent for all smartphones.

If we are to assume that Microsoft and Verizon are following this same pattern (since we don't have a link showing the kind of transparency that HTC is giving) then we should all be on the Microsoft forums asking where is our update that was released back in July. It has been over two months. Two months is plenty enough time to fix any bugs or make changes due to carrier requirements.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You also forget if you look at the bottom just after 10 there's regulatory things which is FCC, and such which takes time, and Nokia isn't free from the same certifications.  From AOSP project Sony and Google found that carrier modifications and testing took no longer than 6 weeks in most cases most of them took less than 1 month.  FCC on average showed it took up to 6 months to get approval, and each device needs to go through their own process even if they are the "same".  CDMA devices needs another testing process as well from Qualcomm for being CDMA(I used to work for Qualcomm many moons ago.  This process hasn't changed). 

Proprietary vs. Open Source.

I actually liking carriers moving to LTE because Qualcomm can slowly retire CDMA and GSM will be phased out for the future.  We can use any device we want because everything is purely done via sim card and there is no "database" to lock out devices(unless stolen/lost).

0 Likes