Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

bstar1382
Member

Elector,

I have read your posts for weeks, and now I feel the need to post a reply to you.

You are incorrect in your assessment that Verizon is not responsible to update the device.  As I am sure you have read under SEVERAL separate posts, Verizon has sold products under the promise of an update to 8.1.  When I purchased my Lumia Icon, I was told that the phone would be updated to 8.1 within a few months.  Now, if this had not been told when I was purchasing, I would agree with you that Verizon has no responsibility.  HOWEVER, since Verizon has taken it upon itself to sell a product under false pretense, they are LEGALLY responsible to follow through.  This is also known as false advertising.  So instead of constantly logging on here and just berading people and telling them how wrong they are for wanting what was promised, get your facts together, and actually learn something.  Verizon ABSOLUTELY has a legal responsiblity to update all phones that were sold under the promise of being updated.  And this stupid arguement that Verizon isnt the one holding up the update has NOTHING to backup that claim.  Microsoft and Nokia, who are the SAME company, released the update to all carriers for testing.  Seeing as the update has been released on AT&T, with products running the SAME OS as models on Verizon, shows that VERIZON is the hold up, not the manufacturer.  If they are testing, so be it.  If they are delaying the release to boost sales of the HTC M8, well, that is just plain crappy, but unfortunately, legal.

Now as far as when they update, I will agree with you that they have no obligation to do it by a certain time, or at the same time as AT&T.  However, Verizon boasts being #1 in customer satisfaction, and you have to admit it is ironic for a company to claim this, but seem to completely avoid answering their customers questions, or giving any updates.

To recap: VERIZON is legally responsible to update all phones that were sold with that promise, but unfortunately, the fact that they seem to not care about their customers is their legal right.  No laws require people or companies to be decent or actually care........

Your's in Time.

0 Likes

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

Not applicable

bstar1382 wrote:

Elector,

I have read your posts for weeks, and now I feel the need to post a reply to you.

You are incorrect in your assessment that Verizon is not responsible to update the device.  As I am sure you have read under SEVERAL separate posts, Verizon has sold products under the promise of an update to 8.1.  When I purchased my Lumia Icon, I was told that the phone would be updated to 8.1 within a few months.  Now, if this had not been told when I was purchasing, I would agree with you that Verizon has no responsibility.  HOWEVER, since Verizon has taken it upon itself to sell a product under false pretense, they are LEGALLY responsible to follow through.  This is also known as false advertising.

Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

with excerpt:

This agreement and the documents it incorporates form the entire agreement between us. You can't rely on any other documents, or on what's said by any Sales or Customer Service Representatives, and you have no other rights regarding Service or this agreement.

So no they are not responsible. what is told to you is sales person crap to make a sale.

So instead of constantly logging on here and just berading people and telling them how wrong they are for wanting what was promised, get your facts together, and actually learn something.  Verizon ABSOLUTELY has a legal responsiblity to update all phones that were sold under the promise of being updated.

Read the link above. You don't know what your writing about.

  And this stupid arguement that Verizon isnt the one holding up the update has NOTHING to backup that claim.  Microsoft and Nokia, who are the SAME company, released the update to all carriers for testing.  Seeing as the update has been released on AT&T, with products running the SAME OS as models on Verizon, shows that VERIZON is the hold up, not the manufacturer.  If they are testing, so be it.  If they are delaying the release to boost sales of the HTC M8, well, that is just plain crappy, but unfortunately, legal.

I am not saying Verizon is holding up anything. I am saying makes no difference who has it and at what stage, they don't have to release it, update it, give it. Etc. One would cancel out the other. Think and use your head.


read this section of the agreement:

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES

Now as far as when they update, I will agree with you that they have no obligation to do it by a certain time, or at the same time as AT&T.  However, Verizon boasts being #1 in customer satisfaction, and you have to admit it is ironic for a company to claim this, but seem to completely avoid answering their customers questions, or giving any updates.

AT&T is the only carrier that released the update. No other carrier did, so three carriers are not moving on updating. So again your argument holds no weight. If a carrier wants to release it, they will release it. If they don't that is their right as well. It is their networks, not Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung etc.

To recap: VERIZON is legally responsible to update all phones that were sold with that promise, but unfortunately, the fact that they seem to not care about their customers is their legal right.  No laws require people or companies to be decent or actually care........

And that statement only so far I can agree with.

Your's in Time.

My replies are in Bold in your post.

Good Luck

0 Likes

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

Not applicable

the fact that they seem to not care about their customers is their legal right.  No laws require people or companies to be decent or actually care........

Forgot to edit the statement.

0 Likes

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

JamesH
Member

I agree, Verizon cares nothing of it's customers. Windows 8.1 should be available already to all windows phone users with Verizon but Verizon has a close partnership with HTC and will delay the Nokia Lumia release as long as they can to help their partner HTC. I am looking to buy the Nokia Lumia Icon but refuse to do so until Verizon has the windows 8.1 on it. Since my 2 year contract is up I may look for another carrier as I am tired of being a second class customer with Verizon.

0 Likes

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

TrophyUser
Member

The update will most likely happen as soon as Verizon's exclusivity on the new HTC Windows phone runs out. There is probably a desire to steer new WP customers to HTC to make the exclusivity pay off.

0 Likes

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

primortal
Sr. Member

TrophyUser wrote:

The update will most likely happen as soon as Verizon's exclusivity on the new HTC Windows phone runs out. There is probably a desire to steer new WP customers to HTC to make the exclusivity pay off.

This goes to prove how stupid VZW thinks their customer are.

0 Likes

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

AO180
Member

JamesH wrote:

I agree, Verizon cares nothing of it's customers. Windows 8.1 should be available already to all windows phone users with Verizon but Verizon has a close partnership with HTC and will delay the Nokia Lumia release as long as they can to help their partner HTC. I am looking to buy the Nokia Lumia Icon but refuse to do so until Verizon has the windows 8.1 on it. Since my 2 year contract is up I may look for another carrier as I am tired of being a second class customer with Verizon.

You refuse to purchase a superior product simply because you can't have clever conversations with Cortana and look at pretty live tiles? The Icon has so much more to offer right now in its current form and OS release.

If Cortana means that much to you, download the dev preview. Play Halo too. It helps.

If you go to another carrier over not getting Cortana on your timeline, you're accepting a second rate carrier and possibly a second rate phone... all over a cool feature!

I, of course, will love to have those cool features, and am looking forward to it, but I'm not jumping ship just because Verizon is keeping quiet.

The update will happen, just won't be when we want it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

tomcat1015
Member

Correct.....Verizon Wireless is a disgrace. I wish I didn't buy this phone because I would have switched to ATT.  Also most people don't post in forums so a lack of posts is a ridiculous argument.

0 Likes

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

AO180
Member

tomcat1015 wrote:

Correct.....Verizon Wireless is a disgrace. I wish I didn't buy this phone because I would have switched to ATT.  Also most people don't post in forums so a lack of posts is a ridiculous argument.

Would have switched to AT&T because of a feature that simply doesn't have a release date? You're calling Verizon, a technically superior carrier with an amazing network and awesome Windows Phones, among others, with fair pricing and great options... a disgrace? All because you can't have the non developer 8.1?

Most people don't post in forums?

Why don't they?

0 Likes

Re: When will Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 be available for the Nokia Lumia Icon? I bought the phone in June, and I was told by the Verizon salesperson that I could expect Cortana in a matter of "weeks". It's now three months, and I haven't heard anythin

grafixguy
Novice

TrophyUser wrote:

The update will most likely happen as soon as Verizon's exclusivity on the new HTC Windows phone runs out. There is probably a desire to steer new WP customers to HTC to make the exclusivity pay off.

Lose the tin foil hat. How many Windows Phone users are there? Take the subset that would actually buy the M8 over the Icon just because there's no date for 8.1 and you wind up with a number so insignificant the entire theory isn't worth considering.

Yes, it's ridiculous that VZW hasn't rolled out 8.1/Cyan, but history shows us that VZW is always last with software upgrades. There's no reason to think it's going to change.