What is easiest way to migrate contacts from Treo 700w to 8-X?
RonMcK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Some background: I have a Treo 700w, the PC with MS Outlook on it died several years ago, I'm running Thunderbird as my email client on the new PC. I received the 8-X yesterday via my friends at FedEx. I've added a hotmail account through Outlook.com.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ron

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What is easiest way to migrate contacts from Treo 700w to 8-X?
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Which one do you want to use? I am guessing your outlook/hotmail account is the same screenname just like mine is and you interchange between them. If not then do this to check your contacts are there.

Outlook

Log on to Outlook.com using your email from your 700s phone. Click on the "down arrow" one  top left corner and click on "people". Make sure your contacts are there.

Hotmail

Log on to Hotmail and then click "contacts" and it will show your contacts

On your 8x go to Settings > Emails and Accounts. Log in with your outlook or hotmail account and make sure you check mark  "emails, contacts" box

If you only see the option to only sync "emails" then go ahead and sync the account. After you are done syncing go to the home screen. Try Swiping left from home screen > scroll down and locate the apps "People" > click on it. Your contacts should be there. If not get back to me

View solution in original post

_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Which one do you want to use? I am guessing your outlook/hotmail account is the same screenname just like mine is and you interchange between them. If not then do this to check your contacts are there.

Outlook

Log on to Outlook.com using your email from your 700s phone. Click on the "down arrow" one  top left corner and click on "people". Make sure your contacts are there.

Hotmail

Log on to Hotmail and then click "contacts" and it will show your contacts

On your 8x go to Settings > Emails and Accounts. Log in with your outlook or hotmail account and make sure you check mark  "emails, contacts" box

If you only see the option to only sync "emails" then go ahead and sync the account. After you are done syncing go to the home screen. Try Swiping left from home screen > scroll down and locate the apps "People" > click on it. Your contacts should be there. If not get back to me

RonMcK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yikes! I made a mistake before I posted my query. Do you have a helpful work-around in your tool kit?

Here's a bit more background. My account has been EN0 (no data) since buying my Samsung i600 back in 2000-something. I just wanted my Outlook & MS Office in my pocket. So, I only synched my phones (i600 and later 700w) with my PC (up until ~ 2 years ago when that PC died).

Thursday, before activating the 8-X, I added a 2GB data plan. I created my Outlook.com account after the 8-X was activated and the 700w simultaneously deactivated.

From your reply, as I see it, the steps I should have followed (but did not) are:

• Create Outlook.com & Skydrive accounts
  • Synch 700w with the cloud
  • Verify that contacts, calendar events, etc are in Outlook.com
  • Edit the contact list and calendar events, as needed.
  • Now, and only now, activate the 8-X
  • Set things up on the 8-X
  • Synch 8-X with the cloud
  • Verify that contacts and calendar events are on 8-X

I see 2 possibilities for overcoming my dilemma. Are there any others I should consider?

1. Re-activate my 700w as an additional line on my family plan, pay for data usage to synch phone to Outlook.com, etc, and edit as needed
  2. Buy a copy of MS Outlook for my laptop, synch 700w to laptop, edit contacts and calendar events, then import to Outlook.com.

After doing one of these, I will then synch the 8-X with Outlook.com, etc.

Is there a way I can get a .csv file of my 700w's contacts without needing to install/use MS Outlook on the laptop by connecting the 700w to my laptop and using ActivSync?

I have >100 contacts on the 700w. Does this cause a problem importing contacts into my Outlook.com (and/or into my 8-X)?

Thanks, _yankee_ !

Ron

0 Likes
Yrral3215

Im not sure about your exact phone, but I was able to use Bluetooth to transfer my wife's contacts from her old no-data phone to her new 8X even with the old phone deactivated. It was a pain having to do them one at a time but it worked. Contacts were the only thing transferred though.

First I paired the old phone to the 8X, then used the old phone to push each contact across.

Check under the Bluetooth menu to see what options you may have.

0 Likes
RonMcK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Yrral3215, I'll keep that in mind. This would allow me to "edit out" (simply not push a contact) that I wanted to delete. I'd be left with only moving the ones I wanted to keep. After synching those contacts from 8-X to Outlook.com, I could then edit/correct them as needed.

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

You can always try to sync your new outlook mail with your 700ws with Wi-Fi. Im guessing that phone has built in Wi-Fi, so in that way you don't use any data. So if you can sync your mail sytem in the phone with outlook, then you can do exactly the steps you mentioned. Btw your outlook account can be used for hotmail/sky drive/ xbox live.

1) You dont need to buy outlook for your computer. Go to www.outlook.com and sign in. All you need is to store your contacts as .CSV file

Now how are we going to make a .CSV Excel File?

Here is how:

I don't know how the 700w phone works, but if you can sync your phone with the computer , and somehow take the contacts out, you can save them in Microsoft Excel as a .CSV file. Once you put the list on Excel just go to file > save as > save as type > .CSV (delimited)

Then you go back to outlook and sign in and follow these  instruction:

From the people tabs you will see "add people to your contact list" > import from file > go to step 3 > chose file > chose the file from your documents (Excel file) and upload your contacts using the Excel file. Then you can go to your 8x and sync with your outlook account (the way I showed you in my first post from the setting) and your contacts should be there.

I am sorry if this very confusing, its a lot easier to show it in person than tell someone over the text, because each situation is very different, and each path can have a step more or less in the process

Now I know both Verizon and Best Buy has some type of program where they can transfer your contacts from your previous phone to your new phone, so you can go ahead give them a try too

Good Luck

0 Likes