W10M Upgrade on Icon
op2388
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just installed the official Upgrade Advisor app. The official upgrade to W10M for the Icon is now live and I'm installing now.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: W10M Upgrade on Icon
primortal
Master - Level 1

SWEET!!!!  Doing a roll back to 8.1 and going that route.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Correction!!!

It preps the Icon but Windows 10 Mobile isn't installed on the Icon.

As per this post, Microsoft updates list of phones that can get Insider builds of Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central the Icon isn't supported.

Back to the insider install.

0 Likes
Tigoat
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's shameful that a company such as Verizon, that supposedly prides itself on its customer service, treats it's Windows Phone clientele like the proverbial red-headed stepchild! I've felt nothing but rejection from Verizon since buying into the WP ecosystem. Any and all software updates come so slowly to their WP devices it's hard not to feel there is some terrible animosity between Verizon and Microsoft and we, their ever so important customers, are neglected like poor children enduring a bitter divorce! My Lumia Icon runs very well on Windows 10 Mobile, thanks to the Insider app, and I'm finding it hard to believe it isn't Verizon that is stumbling the upgrade. What did we do to deserve this poor treatment? All I'd like is the Verizon firmware to finish the deal so I coild use it once again as my "daily driver". Please Big Red, don't make the kids choose between parents! What kind of parent does that?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have my doubts that anything will change if/when Microsoft releases the anticipated Surface Phone later this year...assuming that a Verizon Wireless variant is produced. Verizon Wireless is focused on Android and iOS as those are the two major players in the mobile market.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

You do know it was a Microsoft decision not to upgrade the Icon, but there's a chance Microsoft might include it; Verizon's Lumia Icon could still get the Windows 10 Mobile update | Windows Central

0 Likes
Tigoat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Believe me, I've kept abreast of the press (thanks for the links just the same) but if MS can include the virtually identical 930, than why not the 929? Past practice indicates it's Verizon not wanting to play nice, and MS throwing get up their hands. It could be done and it' too bad it's the Verizon customer that's getting the short end of the stick.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

The same question has been asked by numerous people on why the 930 gets it and the 929 (Icon) doesn't hence Microsoft decision to now possibly include the Icon.

As you pointed out that it could be push back from VZW, but at this point if true Microsoft can just tell the truth and say VZW doesn't want to upgrade the Icon.  Being there is no love lost as it is between Microsoft and Verizon what would be the consequences at the point.

I'll wait to see what happens with HP's new device and/or the rumored Surface Phone before I jump ship.  Right now the two devices on my contract are ready for upgrades and AT&T keeps looking better each every time.

Tigoat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hear ya, brother.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If either the HP or the Surface Phone are released with Verizon Wireless variants, my thought is that the phones will not be available at local Verizon Wireless stores.

They would be purchased from Microsoft, an electronics outfit (such as Best Buy) or a special order through Verizon Wireless.

This is based on the fact that the phones are aimed specifically at business users as opposed to general consumers. The phones will likely be priced outside the range of the general consumer as well...unless Microsoft gets into the financing business the way Apple has.

0 Likes