Re: Verizon has final Denim update for Icon - they won't release it
OldPirate
Enthusiast - Level 3

Version told me on the 2nd that it wold release the 6th. Yesterday they saw in their notes what I had been told, but now I am told TBA. I have been a customer of theirs since 1992. I have about had enough.

0 Likes
Vistary

They always lied, they don't care

0 Likes
WP10Please

The odd part of this puzzle is that they are the only North America carrier to have pushed out Denim, and they have done it to all models apart from the Icon:

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north...

Also I don't understand why I don't have "hey Cortana" or access to "Lumia Camera v5" when I have "preview for developers" enabled.  My wife has an AT&T Lumia 1520 and she can download Lumia Camera v5 from the store (it fails to run because she still has Cyan).

It looks like Microsoft haven't released these new features for the Icon more that Verizon holding them back from us.  If Microsoft could release it on the Icon they would have through "Preview for Developers", but they haven't

0 Likes
tsax6010

It is not a matter of Microsoft releasing features like Hey Cortana or Lumia Camera 5 independently of Verizon as this is not technically possible. These applications rely on base firmware to be in place in order to take advantage of features in the hardware (notably the Snapdragon 800 CPU) - in this case Denim.

Denim ≠ OS or Application updates

Denim = Firmware

Firmware = Drivers

Firmware cannot be pushed without carrier approval since it includes radio components. Until Verizon approves the firmware, even developer preview users of the OS upgraded to 8.1 cannot take advantage of new hardware specific features. In essence the Icon on DP is as functional as the 928 and other phones will ever be that do not have the snapdragon 800 - these older phones will never get Hey Cortana as they do not support passive listening at a hardware level.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

WP10Please wrote:

The odd part of this puzzle is that they are the only North America carrier to have pushed out Denim, and they have done it to all models apart from the Icon:

That is Denim in name only. Those phones do not take advantage of any of the hardware/firmware specific features of Denim. Anyone running the PfD version of Windows Phone 8.1update 1 on those phones would notice no difference in the official push.

0 Likes
RustyinPA
Enthusiast - Level 1

I saw on Twitter that the Verizon Denim was going to be released this week, maybe. I am really concerned with Verizon, I have noticed that they pulled/dropped all the Lumia phones from their store and even on the Microsoft Store; the only Windows phone is the HTC. I like the Lumia phones and upgraded from the lumia 520 for the Icon, if I had to do it over again I would not do it. The next phone is going to be a BlackBerry, it seems like they know how to treat their customers they have better security phone features and cool looking new phones. I think AT&T is going to carry the new Passport along with the Classic, soon as they offer it; it is good bye Verizon. I am thinking of switching my home phone, internet to AT&T as well, just for treating us Icon owners like DOGS.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

RustyinPA wrote:

I saw on Twitter that the Verizon Denim was going to be released this week, maybe.

Link?

0 Likes
dmbeam

Last night, I was alerted to an update on my Icon.  I went ahead and the update was a long one.  I immediately checked to see if it was 8.1 and it was not.  I'm assuming it was denim because of the length of the download; but don't know how to confirm.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

If you go to settings, tap about, tap more info the Firmware revision number should start with 3051.50009.

0 Likes
dmbeam

The firmware # starts 1028.3566 etc.

I guess it isn't denim.  The download was major.  It took over 10 minutes and the screen had the two gears rotating to show something was happening.

What could it have been?

0 Likes