Verizon has final Denim update for Icon - they won't release it
iconowner
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a Lumia Icon owner, and have been waiting patiently (now impatiently) for the Windows 8.1 update to the phone. So, in a fit of frustration, I filed a complaint in December with the FCC, and I wrote emails to many of the top Verizon Wireless brass, complaining of the treatment of Icon owners. Lo and behold, I received both emails and phone calls from the Verizon corporate office. I spoke to a woman (I won't name her name for now) from the Verizon corporate office prior to Christmas, who confirmed that Verizon had the Denim update for the Icon and was on the verge of releasing it. I then spoke with her after Christmas and before New Years. She indicated that I should be able to get the Denim update at that point. I told her that manual updates were not showing the Denim update available.

Here is the kicker. She told me that she had her Icon in her hand, and it had been updated to Windows 8.1, in fact the Denim update. Being the doubtful person that I am, I told her she may actually have a Nokia 928 and not the Icon. She went into her settings to confirm that her phone was a Nokia 929 (which is the Icon). She also confirmed in her settings that it was the Denim update, and that she had updated manually (using Phone Update). This was right before New Years.

She told me that Verizon's process is that they first release the update for manual updates, and then 3 to 4 weeks later they push it to the phones. She said that the Denim update she had was final, and should be available immediately to Icon owners who do a manual update, and in 3 to 4 weeks (towards the end of January) it would be pushed out to all of the Icon phones automatically. All of this conversation went on before New Years.

Well, we still don't have it. But it's clear that Verizon has had it in its final form for several weeks. They simply won't release it. Is it possible for Verizon Wireless to treat its customers with more contempt than they are doing now?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon has final Denim update for Icon - they won't release it
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

I wouldn't put any weight into anything you're told by anyone at VZW. They'll tell you anything to get you off their backs.

primortal
Master - Level 1

And to add, close out the FCC complaint as resolved.

I've been keeping an eye on the Icon software update page on VZW site daily and so far they haven't updated the PDF's.  They did for the one for the 822 and 928 the day they released the update.  So it's a waiting game.

0 Likes
iconowner
Enthusiast - Level 2

grafixguy

Normally, I would agree with you. However, this conversation was very specific. She was reading off of her phone, confirming that her Icon had the Denim update, and that she was told it was released. She confirmed that she had Cortana, etc.

0 Likes
iconowner
Enthusiast - Level 2

primortal

I agree with you that they were trying to close out the FCC complaint as resolved. However, as I did NOT get the Windows Phone 8.1 update, I contacted the FCC again and let them know that I was not satisfied with the answer and I do not consider the complaint as resolved. In fact, I let the FCC know that I believe that Verizon Wireless lied to me on the phone in order to try to get the complaint resolved.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Can she send you a screenshot for confirmation?

0 Likes
iconowner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good question. I'll contact her and ask.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

I don't care what she said.

Is is me or does seem like everyone you chat with at VZW owns a Windows Phone? It's almost comical how you always chat with someone who owns the exact same phone as you do and understands how badly we want the latest update.

It's insulting and condescending and I'm sick of it. I'm a big boy. Tell me the truth and let me make a real decision on whether to stick with this.

0 Likes
iconowner
Enthusiast - Level 2

grafixguy,

I agree wholeheartedly. It is astonishing that Verizon Wireless treats its customers with such contempt and disdain. I'm almost tempted to start writing to the members of their Board of Directors.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

That would be a waste of your time. Where do you think the corporate culture comes from?

They simply don't care and it shows with every interaction we have with them.

0 Likes