Verizon Wireless and Surface Phone Revisited
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just restarting discussions about Verizon Wireless and Windows Mobile devices.

Currently, the Lumia 735 is the only Windows Phone left in Verizon Wireless's catalog.

With the HP Elite x3 following the path of the most recent Lumia models by being released as a GSM only device, I'm starting to get the feeling that the Surface Phone will also be released as a GSM only device. In one of my recent discussions on a disqus.com message board, another member posted that Microsoft does not have any CDMA coders on staff. Of course, I can't prove or disprove that, but if it is true, it would make a Surface Phone  for Verizon Wireless, Sprint and US Cellular all that more doubtful.

What I'm starting to think is going to happen is that Microsoft is going to not offer any new phones for VZW, Sprint and US Cellular until the carriers are off of their CDMA networks.

Do I hope to be proven wrong? Yes. But, I can't shake the feeling that the Surface Phone will be another lost cause for us.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless and Surface Phone Revisited
primortal
Master - Level 1

I highly doubt it's a "lack of CDMA coders".  The OS and device firmware already supports CDMA; proof is in the Lumia Icon and 735.

It's the pain VZW is putting Microsoft/HP through to get the devices certified.  From what I understand is it's not a cheap thing to do.

For now I'm done with VZW and I have my 950XL in hand and just waiting for my wife to go through her voice mails before I go to AT&T and switch later this week.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure that Verizon Wireless is the full culprit as there are other CDMA carriers like Sprint and US Cellular. Certify for CDMA and you should be good to go for each CDMA carrier.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Then it's most likely that cost of certifying the device for CDMA which probably out ways the number of devices sold without carrier support; advertising.

Both the 950s and the HP Elite x3 have the CDMA antenna's and are capable, but CDMA is disabled in the firmware for some reason.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I remember Tidbits posting that the costs associated with CDMA certification are higher than GSM. I wish that Microsoft and other OEMs would flat out state their positions as it relates to Verizon Wireless. How much longer will VZW users....who would like to give a high end WM device a try....wait before switching carriers or platforms?

I know that rolling out CDMA variants won't catapult WM marketshare substantially, but, to see these companies rake such restrictive positions and then wonder out loud why sales figures continue to stagnate and contract is mind numbing.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typo alert...'see these companies "take" such restrictive positions'.

0 Likes
chodi
Enthusiast - Level 3

funny, a little over a year ago, I remember calling the 950 family nice but not a flag ship phone and was waiting for the surface phone to come out.  everyone jumped all over me, telling me I was crazy and it was only a rumor.

now the surface phone will be released in the coming weeks, my business will be buying one for me

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

There's no way the Surface Phone will be released in coming weeks.  The latest rumor is Spring of 2017 with the release of Windows Mobile 10 (Redstone 2) which is rumored to be heavily focused on the mobile aspects of Windows 10.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agree. I envision Microsoft rolling out the Surface Book 2, Surface Pro 5 and Surface Phone at a single event in April 2017.

There was a rumor going around not too long ago that Microsoft was working on a desktop computer that would also sport the Surface label. I haven't seen much more about it recently though.

I am a little bit sad to see the Surface 3 being retired with no successor. Sure, it doesn't lend itself well to gaming,  but, I enjoy using one as a daily driver while my SP3 is my powerhouse computer.

Sorry for my topic detour. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Jmthomas1987
Enthusiast - Level 2

From what I have seen and read about, it sounds like with the ridiculous process OEMs have to go through to get "certified" on CDMA, it is not a money making venture really unless you sell several hundred thousand units.

Basically they are getting extorted by Qualcom for licensing the hardware on each phone, and then they have to submit their phones to each CDMA carrier to let them dissect the units to then see if they will work with their particular hardware/backhaul setups.  Can't blame OEMs for dropping CDMA since it is a dying technology anyway.

Verizon seems to take the longest of the three from what I have read, plus even if you do get "certified", VZW seems to not want to provide any service after the sale for Windows phones.

Last time I went into a VZW store, I went through 4 reps, plus a field tech before finding someone who knew ANYTHING about Windows phones.  Most looked at me like I was talking Martian or something. Now I just buy on-line and cut out any middle-men.

0 Likes