Re: The FCC and your 8.1 Cyan Update
BDub43
Enthusiast - Level 3

Again you can activate a 930 on Verizon but the LTE wouldn't work. You can activate the ICON on T-Mobile but the LTE will may not work. Get it? Read additional info before replying jet saying...... By the way this is my industry before you blindly debate without reading additional information.

Sent from my Windows Phone

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Go back and reread the 10 threads if you read all my posts I have already explained this more than once... If you got everything in context you'd agree with what I was saying but since this guy replies off tangent in different threads the information gets lost.

So for the second time. I said what you said in a different thread... HOWEVER CDMA is different than GSM regardless of the radio is universal or not. CDMA NEEDS signed packages from Qualcomm and to get those packages it requires testing from them. GSM does not need this. So testing requirements are different regardless if they are the same radio hardware being used. So in layman terms used by Nokia reps when they said special they were specifically talking about the CDMA requirements... Get it?

0 Likes
BDub43
Enthusiast - Level 3

Either way whether testing should have been done since both phones works on CDMA and GSM. I can activate a 930 on a CDMA network carrier.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No...  It doesn't work that way...

If the phone doesn't need to work on CDMA it will not be required to go through all that.  Why pay extra licensing fees if the device isn't going to be used on a CDMA network.

No you can't activate the 930 on Verizon...  There's various reasons why it's fundamentally false with the way CDMA works...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Just read about the Nexus 5 got Verizon for an example if you don't understand.  It supports the exact same things as the 930.

0 Likes
BDub43
Enthusiast - Level 3

At the end of the dat testing is testing. Microsoft already tested the firmware, if ATT can release it so can Verizon bottom line. If they had issues with the firmware state it. The issue is that there is a history of not releasing firmware without explanation. Why would a manufacture release a forward update that would not or have been tested in the first place? They wouldn't.

0 Likes
jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

From the Nokia site it appears the 930 WILL be coming to Verizon but this being Verizon we are talking about I would not expect it until after AT&T starts selling it.  The ones claiming it will not work on Verizon know nothing.  It has dual radios just like the 822 and that DOES work on AT&T!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

AT&T doesn't have to go through Qualcomm CDMA testing because they are a GSM carrier. Of course with less testing then you'd expect them to release it quicker don't you? Also the software numbers are not the same which shows different development cycles and teams.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

CDMA devices will NOT work on a CDMA network without the IMEI being in their database... That's why you can't activate the Nexus 5 on Verizon for example. Any Sprint device for another example... The 930 will not be different, and the software will be different because CDMA radio activated vs. GSM radio activated. Just because it's one radio GSM and CDMA are different in terms of software.

0 Likes
jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

You really don't know your facts please do some research to find them!  A number of people have found legitimate ways to run dual radio Nokia's from Verizon on the AT&T network.  They first must be unlocked.  After that it is relatively easy.  Dual radio phones like a number of Nokia's are licensed for BOTH radios not just one.  Locking it prevents use of one.

0 Likes