Re: The FCC and your 8.1 Cyan Update
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

After getting dinged $7.4M for FCC violations, I am sure that Verizon gets very nervous with every complaint that comes through their doors.  That is why - with such relief - they respond back to the FCC regarding our upgrade complaints that "they were not able to find any violations".

As was again reinforced with me;  the FCC stated that a complaint doesn't have to be a "violation".  I am glad that there were a number of FCC complaints about this.  Now it is up to us to follow up with a fax to the FCC requesting that they push this issue with Verizon.  Pre Testing.  Shorter test periods.  Published release dates.  Consumer testing.  Status updates, etc.  Something's got to give because  60, 90, 120 days after release for an update is unacceptable.

Verizon FCC customer privacy fine: $7.4 million | BGR

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

HTC and Motorola has already proven you don't need pretesting from Verizon.  All of that Nokia can do on their own.  They have programs to pretest.  FCC will not press a thing as there would have to be PROOF Verizon is withholding an update that may not even be finished.  Comparing other carriers on an update doesn't prove Nokia is done.

There have been multiple projects showing carrier testing is SHORT.  Ironically FCC, WiFi, CDMA, and Bluetooth recertification takes drastically longer(found to be an average of 5-6 months, and dependent on the person who does the testing).

I wish you guys the best of luck.  The fact Microsoft pushed an "update" to get certain devices the ability to upgrade shows potentially Verizon disapproved the update for further fixing and one reason the cause of "delay"  which the FCC would side with the carrier if that is what happened.

Customer privacy is regulated.  Software development isn't...  There's a huge difference...  Poor example of the FCC actually working.  Show something that shows updates being regulated and carriers got in trouble for it.

HTC complies with the ACLU deal people bring up.  Heartbleed and the One series devices which HTC dropped support for.  That ended up have NOTHING to do with carriers.

Not applicable

That complaint and fine you show has nothing to do with updates to your phone. Nice try though.

The FCC does not make Verizon quake since first Verizon is not obligated to update the device past its initial offering (day of sale) unless there is a security issue on their network. There are no security issues. That I have read about.

what most here complain about is an enhanced customer experience. what ever that is I don't know and really don't care. Probably looking at pretty tiles and the phone talks to you. Not really a security issue on Verizon's network.

And it was Verizon Wireless that won the lawsuit over net neutrality. Not the FCC

You see Verizon employs big time attorneys as well. And they have the resources to prove it.

And in every settlement or suit Verizon pulled in a gazillion dollars in ill gotten gains and paid out a few million.

kind of makes sense to have that business ethic wouldn't you say?

In any case all the complaints in the world will not get you that update unless Verizon wants you to have it. It is just that simple.

Again Good Luck

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Elector.  Stick to the subject.  Yes, the sky is blue.  You are ever so right once again.  SMH.

Verizon's response back to the FCC regarding my complaint reinforces that they are now paying attention to FCC complaints now more than ever.  Verizon's specific statement back to the FCC regarding my complaint that "there are no violations here" also indicates their concern with more violations.  It doesn't matter if they have lawyers.  It doesn't matter if they have Indian Chiefs.  Verizon still has a $7.4M scar on their backside and it still nags them every time an FCC envelope hits the mail room!

The FCC has a different view regarding Verizon's response and provides the consumer the opportunity to re-address their complaint regardless of whether they are an FCC violation or not.  BDub43's communication with Verizon indicates that there were a significant number of customers who complained about this update, so again - we are getting someone's attention.

Once the FCC starts to get more written consumer requests for follow up on our upgrade complaints, there is a chance that "attention" may turn to "action".  Sometimes, you just have to make your own luck.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Like what has been happening the previous 6 years of the same complaints and FCC inaction. FCC will do nothing because no one has shown proof as what people speculate. With the recent update by MS would give pause to such investigation because the adverse effect the previous update had and a delay would have been a good thing.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Want do you want to bet once these people got their update they would then be making posts like " 8.1 bricked my phone. How can I revert back to 8.0" or "When is 8.2 coming out.?"

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ha ha I have said that in previous posts. Just like the kitty Kat updates and now iOS 8 complaints which Apple did and not Verizon wireless. Look at the Apple site. Its loaded with device issues under iOS 8

0 Likes
Not applicable

Don't get this wrong. I would say one morning you wake up in that blue sky and the device will show an update available. What month or year that is will be anyone's guess.

As I told you from your first post of complain to the FCC the complaint is not valid. Its like how in the agency I worked in we had a number of pests who would send letters, faxes even emails and they went into the kook file in my office. This is what happens when people complain without any legal or common sense standing.

We had a few others that would serve me with legal service and after filing it in and handing to counsel we had the agency attorney thrash them in court. Varied reasons the judge would throw them out. One reason was the legal complaint was not based in fact of law. Others for documents not showing a case exists.

I am positive the FCC has such a file.

If you actually can prove by facts that Verizon has to update your device or any written decision of law then don't you think that the FCC would be all over Verizon and other carriers?

I would then say you had a good case and be happy for you. However that is not how its coming out.

You and others file complaints and you get an acknowledgment from the FCC and then Verizon and other carriers respond as no violation on their parts.

So you write again and again and while you and others keep this going, there is still no update to your devices.

Its not bad to complain, but its foolish to keep complaining with no merit.

Hey keep complaining if it makes you feel better. Its not going to change the ce!lular industry to be forced to update or update on a schedule. The FCC and the FTC do not have that authority.

Have a nice evening.

jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

A troll is still a troll and you sir are very much a troll.

0 Likes
jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry I lost Internet connectivity.

A troll is still a troll and you sir are very much a troll or work for Verizon either for pay or for free but you still work to keep people from being upset at Verizon for their gross mismanagement of the Cyan firmware and Windows 8.1 update roll out.  I guess it works well for you but some of us would prefer you go else where and "help" others!

0 Likes