Re: The FCC and your 8.1 Cyan Update
Not applicable

The point of the issue isn't if I understand the patch schedule. It is that it has to be done on a frequent basis. Every week or every two weeks. It should not have to be done if you build a good working product.

My iMac does not update constantly. Maybe Apple produces a better OS? Better systems?

Maybe Apple doesn't need to constantly send out spyware updates like Microsoft does because its secure system wise?

I have nothing against Microsoft products. I find them easier to use, I however do not need to condone or approve of these constant updates. And I use more than one system in our home so updating is not just sitting there waiting for one device to do it but 5 systems. It is in MY opinion a real pain.

Thank you for playing.

0 Likes
Not applicable

primortal wrote:

Thanks.  Looks like you don't understand the calendar and Patch Tuesdays.

So lets remove the Definition Update for Windows Defender items being they are not patches but signature updates.

• 9/15 list of patches is from the 9/9 Patch Tuesday release.
  • 9/30 patch KB2998257 was for TZ update for Russia and KB299067 was to fix an issue with OneDrive
  • 10/15 list of patches is from the 10/14 Patch Tuesday release.

Thanks for playing, try again.

Looks like you don't understand MS is moving away form patch Tuesdays.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Clarify

0 Likes
Not applicable

What is Patch Tuesday? - Definition from WhatIs.com

http://www.gfi.com/blog/october-patch-tuesday-roundup-2/

They are still there as far as I can tell. However the top link does speak of patches coming sooner than every two weeks. etc. So I knew I was not dreaming the patches coming sooner.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Elector wrote:

The point of the issue isn't if I understand the patch schedule. It is that it has to be done on a frequent basis. Every week or every two weeks. It should not have to be done if you build a good working product.

My iMac does not update constantly. Maybe Apple produces a better OS? Better systems?

Maybe Apple doesn't need to constantly send out spyware updates like Microsoft does because its secure system wise?

I have nothing against Microsoft products. I find them easier to use, I however do not need to condone or approve of these constant updates. And I use more than one system in our home so updating is not just sitting there waiting for one device to do it but 5 systems. It is in MY opinion a real pain.

Thank you for playing.

Apple has the luxury of a closed hardware ecosystem.  If OS X was installable on the amount of hardware Windows can it would releasing patches just as much as Windows does....

I have 5 Windows desktops that update themselves overnight and I'm never interrupted or inconvenienced by updates.

0 Likes
Trenton07
Enthusiast - Level 3

iFan. That explains everything.

0 Likes
op2388
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you find the "constant updates" to be so annoying, why don't you just turn them off? You have that option you know.

As far as Mac being more secure, I don't believe many people believe that myth anymore. I believe it was only a couple of months ago that quite a few famous people had personal files and information stolen from them only to be spread around the internet. I also believe it was Apple that kept quiet about its users information being stolen before it finally admitted it after so many people called them out.

In terms of mobile operating systems, there's no denying that WP OS is the most secure of the three options.

0 Likes
Not applicable
0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Elector wrote:

What is Patch Tuesday? - Definition from WhatIs.com

http://www.gfi.com/blog/october-patch-tuesday-roundup-2/

They are still there as far as I can tell. However the top link does speak of patches coming sooner than every two weeks. etc. So I knew I was not dreaming the patches coming sooner.

Yes critical patches are release out-of-band because they could lead to compromised systems.

Look Patch Tuesday is here to stay.  Corporate IT infrastructure rely on this schedule to manage their devices and patch testing and roll out.  If Microsoft were to change this there would be major push back from corporations.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Thanks I heard that as well for Windows 10 and consumers.  Corporate IT will still go by a schedule patch release.

We're currently taking about how Elector can't understand Patch Tuesday as it is today and blames Microsoft for constantly sending him signature updates daily confusing them as patches.

0 Likes