Re: Taking my Windows Phones + 3 others and leaving Verizon
Kohld
Contributor - Level 1

I have to agree that Verizon can only be described as hostile to its customers.

I recently got hit with a considerable extra charge on my bill when my daughter had an issue with her iPhone 5 that made her think it was using WiFi to view YouTube videos, the network icon was there but it actually used the cellular data connection, I realized that she had used up almost 1/2 my 12GB data plan in the first 6 days so I jumped on the web site and told it to switch to 16GB of data starting at the beginning of the 'current' cycle. It did not, it made it active for the next billing cycle, which I apparently missed when I reviewed the changes as I am well aware that we often see what we expect and miss the obvious.

I was not particularly concerned as I had caught the issue 10 days later and still had, I thought, plenty of time to correct the issue. The web site refused to let me make the change as the last requested change had not been applied yet so I call support. I told them what I had tried to do, what it actually did and asked if they could cancel the change effective the next billing cycle and apply it to the beginning of the current cycle, the reply was 'no problem'. They did not mention that they could not make a change to my plan prior to the day I requested the last change and so they split my cycle and applied the full amount of my daughters usage to the 6 day window, prorated the amount of data that 6 days represented of my 12GB data plan and billed me $60.00 in overages before they then applied the upgrade to 16GB to the rest of the cycle with some clever manipulation of the billing which added a chunk of fees that had me paying over $100 more than I would have if I had just limited my usage that month. At no point in the call did they ever mention this problem or that the fix I requested would result in additional charges beyond the expected plan change.

When I called in to question my bill I was told they had no records of my earlier requests as I had made a follow up request to go back to 12GB of data and that was all they showed so they could not correct the bill but offered to give me a $9.00 credit to make up for the problem. When I laughed at them they then offered to give me a promotional 1GB of data a month free instead. But by then I was annoyed and told them not to as I was afraid of what it would do to my account billing and ended the conversation. I then found that they went ahead and added the 1GB, without my permission, and now consider the issue closed.

Now mistakes happen and the $100 will not kill me, but the attitude of the customer service people I spoke with reflected the fact that my business meant nothing to them and their awareness that most customers cannot drop their service, due to the contracts involved, and so they have no reason to treat us any other way.

For now I am still with them for reasons to do with the company I work for, but those reasons are evaporating as more BYOD policies take effect. So for now I am letting all contracts expire and looking to a trial with AT&T again, several people in my community say AT&T has greatly improved connectivity in my area since I last tested them while Verizon seems to get weaker every 6 months, and while I will see what the future brings.

In the end, Verizon has lost any vague loyalty I might have felt as they have continually made it clear that they are big enough that a single customer is no great loss.

Re: Taking my Windows Phones 3 others and leaving Verizon
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

There's no need to consider another wireless provider jdpg2. Your wireless happiness is a TOP priority to us. As more info becomes available on the Windows mobile platform, we will communicate with our customers accordingly. While there isn't any official info on if/when a new update will be available, a great way to stay informed is to visit our news site, http://vz.to/1sif5gW

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jdpg2
Enthusiast - Level 2

AmettH_VZW

While it is encouraging to finally see someone from VZW respond to a forum post, I am afraid your response and especially the link you provided continue to prove my point.  The fact that there is no information regarding the Windows platform available to share with customers, especially give the fact that the Cyan update has been available for several months, is troubling.  The other telling aspect is that after going to the news website you provided I found NO information at all on any windows phones.  Most of the articles are very much Apple and Android focused.  What is this to lead me to believe?  Clearly not that Verizon is going to support the Windows platform now or in the future.

Regards

jdpg2

0 Likes
Not applicable

[Quote]

While there isn't any official info on if/when a new update will be available, a great way to stay informed is to visit our news site, http://vz.to/1sif5gW

[/quote]

I would worry more on the above quote from Verizon "If/When"

Are you understanding now?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Elector wrote:

I would worry more on the above quote from Verizon "If/When"

Are you understanding now?

It's verbiage to protect ones butt being they don't know the update status

The update is coming otherwise Microsoft's update page would have listed the devices as "Not available" vs "Under testing"

jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

Look at the AT&T contractless plans.  There were actually better than Verizon and had more data.  I know that is what I will be switching to as soon as my contract is up.  Verizon stinks like c**p.  I know AT&T customer service may not be any better but at least they let the updates through!

Tidbits
Legend

What are you going to do if the next update doesn't happen in a timely manner? You are basing everything on a single update but 6 year history has shown they are not ago update friendly in the grand scheme of things. Sure AT&T has been first on some updates... Verizon has been too.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Word of advice... If you go to AT&T don't buy their devices... Buy unlock straight from Nokia or Microsoft if you will.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Taking my Windows Phones + 3 others and leaving Verizon
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

The article from the following website ( http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/07/15/lumia-cyan-update/ ) which was written July 2015 mentioned at the very bottom that "The Lumia Cyan update will start rolling out around the world today and will be available for all Windows Phone 8 Lumia devices in the coming weeks." This type of wording to the average user sounds like they would be receiving it on their phone in the coming weeks, of course we know there is much more red tape to go through and the person writing this article is from the marketing department. If only Microsoft and Verizon were more in tune with all of their users and more agile companies.

0 Likes
penterax
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yup.

I bought my phone outright so I have no contract, I pay monthly. I'm paid up to the middle of November. If I don't have Win 8.1 and the Nokia Cyan updates on my phone by then I'm switching to ATT.