So are we to assume that the preview for developers is the WP 8.1 update intended for Lumia Icon users? Why is it taking so long for this update to be released?!
yleetsbob
Enthusiast - Level 3

Of those of you that have tried out the preview for developers on the Lumia Icon, what issues have you seen from it?  Does it in fact void your warranty?

Labels (1)
Re: So are we to assume that the preview for developers is the WP 8.1 update intended for Lumia Icon users? Why is it taking so long for this update to be released?!
robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wouldn't recommend the preview for everyone.  It doesn't come with the firmware update which improves battery performance and probably some other tweaks for the device.  If you don't mind dealing with a few bugs and whipping your phone out plus having to use the Nokia Software to revert back to factory install the go for it.

Verizon really needs to get with it and release the update already.  AT&T just released 8.1 for the Lumia 1020 today, (an older phone than the icon).  The icon is basically the same as the Lumia 930 sold in other countries.  The 930 comes with 8.1 pre installed so it seems like it shouldn't take too long to get it on the icon.  Verizon needs to give us an idea of when it will be released, they are too slow compared to the other carriers.

Re: So are we to assume that the preview for developers is the WP 8.1 update intended for Lumia Icon users? Why is it taking so long for this update to be released?!
yleetsbob
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have largely given up on this device, I think that I made mistake trying out a Windows phone.  I really miss my Android device and feel like I have made a 2 year mistake.

Re: So are we to assume that the preview for developers is the WP 8.1 update intended for Lumia Icon users?  Why is it taking so long for this update to be released?!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

yleetsbob, we never give up on you! Stay tuned for information regarding the next software update for your device here: http://bit.ly/n5snpq You can reactivate your Android at anytime if you would like right here http://vz.to/SLq428

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: So are we to assume that the preview for developers is the WP 8.1 update intended for Lumia Icon users?  Why is it taking so long for this update to be released?!
yleetsbob
Enthusiast - Level 3

That link is largely worthless as it contains completely unrelated information, seemed like a bit of a cop out. I cannot re-activate the android device due to upgrading through your new edge program. I had to return it to Verizon. I am shocked at how disappointing this device is after only a few months. I know that I am not owed or promised any updates to this device, but at this rate Windows phone wont be able to stand up to android and apple. Sadly, I see Windows phone going the way of RIM. What other valid suggestions do you have?

robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

yleetsbob wrote:

I have largely given up on this device, I think that I made mistake trying out a Windows phone.  I really miss my Android device and feel like I have made a 2 year mistake.

I don't think you should give up on Windows Phone.  I think you should instead give up on Verizon.  Lets say you had an android device, Verizon could do the same thing and hold up an important update that you're waiting for.  AT&T is much quicker to release Windows Phone updates so you may want to try them next time.For example, you can see on this page Availability in North America - Nokia that AT&T has released the update for their top two phones the 1020 and 1520.  The Verizon icon is almost the same as the Lumia 930 which is the international version.  The 930 has been on Windows Phone 8.1 for many months.  Windows Phone 8.1 has lots of new features including the notification center and Cortana.  It's a shame that Verizon is too lazy, too slow or just doesn't care.  I'm probably going to start installing the developer preview soon and you could do the same.  Basically, you sign up for a free developer account.  Then install the developer preview app to get the updates. Google has no such option for android uses so if Verizon were holding back an android update you'd be worse off.  At least Microsoft gives us a stupid carrier work around...  It's annoying but then you can enjoy your Windows Phone with out having to wait for Verizon whom doesn't care.  They haven't even said a word about it which = worst carrier ever in my opinion.

Southway523
Enthusiast - Level 1

After 40 min on the phone with "customer I have no clue" they are still blaming the roll out on Nokia. They did admit that the Icon has been dropped. Would have been great to know when I bought this on 9/04/2014. Of course now I'm stuck in a two year contract with a phone that they, I'm sure, are in no hurry to update. 

0 Likes
yleetsbob
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand what you are all saying and what you think you see in the device.  I am officially done with this poor decision.  Tomorrow morning I should receive my brand new Galaxy S5.  Going right back permanently back to android.

0 Likes
robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

yleetsbob wrote:

I understand what you are all saying and what you think you see in the device.  I am officially done with this poor decision.  Tomorrow morning I should receive my brand new Galaxy S5.  Going right back permanently back to android.

It's Verizon who is holding up the release of WP 8.1 for the Lumia Icon.  So I see it as a problem with Verizon not as a problem with your device decision.  Anyway, you could have easily installed the developer preview which lets you get updates from Microsoft instead of waiting on Verizon.  So to switch devices because of that reason alone doesn't make much sense to me.  If anything, switching carriers makes the most sense as Verizon is the issue here.

yleetsbob
Enthusiast - Level 3

Switching Carriers is a ludicrous suggestion.  Coverage for me is paramount and what good is a phone if it does not get reception for use?  As for the developer preview option, it's a bold suggestion on a forum, as it clearly voids any warranties on your devices.  As I have seen in other friends that have attempted to use the developer preview, it actually ends up with more problems and issues than it's worth. A month or two after I purchased this device M$ laid off nearly all of the nokia employees and have now dropped the entire Nokia name.  M$ has never been big enough in the phone realm, I really should have known better, so to place blame that is on me.  Now that I am using my Galaxy S5, I need to find a sucker to buy this crappy windows phone from me.  Look on the websites that like to buy phones back you will realize that no one wants this phone.

0 Likes