Smoked By Windows Phone (Smell something burning VZW?)
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

NO, I'm not going to push the latest Windows Phone promotion.  While 90% of the Apple and Google phones have been put to shame by various WP devices supporting this "Smoked by Windows Phone" contest/promotion - there is a bigger shame being placed upon a company that I think we are all familiar with.

FCC certifies Samsung SGH i667 "Mandel" 4G LTE Windows Phone:

http://www.wpcentral.com/fcc-certifies-samsung-sgh-i667-mandel-windows-phone

YEP, Big Red VZW is again being SMOKED by yet another LTE Windows Phone going to AT&T.  While Nokia, HTC and now Samsung will all be promoting GEN 2 WP LTE devices at AT&T by April, that should not be the only thing that VZW should consider insulting.  The fact that VZW is losing customers by the day to AT&T because of their lack of a variety of LTE devices is also not the only thing to be considered insulting.  The fact that VZW will lose hundreds of customers by the end of April after the new Nokia ACE, HTC Titan II and Samsung Windows Phone LTE devices are out at AT&T is also not the only thing for VZW to find concerning or insulting.

The thing that VZW should pay close attention to is the number of LTE devices AT&T has TODAY as they build their LTE networks and infrastructure.  You know, "stay awake" fodder for the VZW executives.  While Windows Phone is leading this charge at AT&T with some impressive LTE devices; VZW should also note that BlackBerry devices are moving the LTE direction at AT&T, Android devices are LTE at AT&T, as well as the upcoming iPhone 5's with LTE support coming this Q3 or Q4.  VZW must be very confident that their DROID-only offering is going to save them 'cuz we already know that VZW regrets getting into the iPhone business.  It also appears that the corporate-Blackberry plan is also backfiring because - in my company alone - a huge volume of employees have dumped their Blackberry phones for their own devices on a preferred carrier that is not VZW.  BTW VZW: it takes about 2 minutes on the phone with AT&T to get included on a corporate cellular discount that is much more generous than yours (and that is with 3000+ employees subscribing to your lame discounts).  Even my coworkers who flip to an iPhone ALSO flip to AT&T!  They seem to be VZW burn victims.  Maybe that explains the smell of smoke?

I can see that over the next 12 to 24 months that VZW will be the one with limited inventory, a decent network and disrespectful-shameful customer service.  Of course, I am 100% confident that AT&T customer service will continue to stink - especially with LTE growing pains - but at least in the next 12 months AT&T will have a quality LTE network and a good variety of devices that paying customers are asking for.  With just those 3 considerations, it does not take - ahem - a VZW executive long to figure out that the scales could tilt towards AT&T in 2013.  Both carriers have stinky customer service, both have LTE, but only 1 out of the 2 leading carriers has really cool devices that my family and I prefer.  Hum!?!  Even a long time customer like myself has to seriously consider those options.  This decision seems to be getting easier as the months of VZW's indecision on Windows Phones roll on.

All eggs in one basket makes for an IRONIC Easter story this time of year!

HAPPY SPRING VZW - by Christmas this year, your WP Forum may be nothing but the sound of crickets (and the smell of SMOKE).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Smoked By Windows Phone (Smell something burning VZW?)
bigtitan
Contributor - Level 2

not saying I disagree with some of this but really, I am pretty sure that VZW being the succesful giant that it is, knows exactly what eggs it does and doesn't want it's basket...

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Titan - It seems like the competition knows, too. 

All I am saying is that AT&T seems to be making some very smart strategic moves to make egg salad out of some of the decisions in the VZW basket.  Either carrier gives a rats backside about customer service, both are pushing LTE now, and in the case of Windows Phone and the iPhone - AT&T may have the edge by embracing both platforms and still showing Blackberry and Android a little respect.

It's a fun industry to watch and as a participant, I like that each carrier will push each other with various options.  Good, healthy competition.  I like the Windows Phone platform and I am impressed with the moves of AT&T as of late.  The VZW silence may not be so golden with the WP fan base - especially when seeing is believing in April with AT&T's cool new WP devices.

texanator
Enthusiast - Level 3

The larger an organization is, the less likely they are to know what eggs they want in their basket. They probably aren't even aware of what eggs they currently have in their basket.

Verizon seems very confused as to what Windows Phone is all about. They still have Windows Mobile and Windows Phone lumped together in this forum.

IF you are able to get a response from them on why they don't have more Windows Phones, they always come up with some statement that doesn't stand against the evidence that is available. For instance they insisted that LTE is critical and they are waiting for Microsoft to support it in WP7. http://www.wpcentral.com/verizon-draws-line-sand-microsoft

Seems like they really don't know or care what they are doing with Windows Phone when so many other carriers are currently launching LTE devices.

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Okay, so I lied.  I AM going to mention the Smoked by Windows Phone contest.  Ironically this whole MS Marketing Promotion has taken on a following of its own.  I love the paranoid Droid folks who are making comments about the promotion being a fake and a scam.  While moving this promotion out of the one on one contest that left many-a-Droid owner looking silly, I would say you have to expect some chaos when the promotion is turned over to every Windows Store in the US.  More players, more room for "error".

I especially like the noise made by someone who "beat" the Windows Phone with their Droid - only after modifying their device by shutting down memory-sucking Droid apps to speed it up. 

This entire series of contest events are getting great press and I especially like the part where Microsoft is just giving the phones away now to folks with old Droids or iPhones.  I guess Google and Apple made a good impression on those customers?  Below you will find the latest rant about the SMOKED contest...

Smoke and mirrors: taking the Windows Phone challenge

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/27/2904524/smoke-and-mirrors-taking-microsoft-windows-phone-challenge

0 Likes
jaygeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

Precisely! They've SAID it... now, @Verizon please DO it! http://mashable.com/2012/04/20/verizon-backing-windows-phone/

Umm, when is this going to happen? Our Verizon stores don’t even have a Windows Phone in their showroom! (That’s what Best Buy is for, right?)  I love my Trophy, WP7… but please, please, @Verizon, get with the program already & start showing off this great OS! To the comment “only account for about 3.6% of all smart phones. And the number is declining” I’d argue that people are too confused by the 5 kiosks full of random versions of Android in Verizon’s stores to have to ASK about Windows Phones they can’t see/touch/try… That needs to change.

0 Likes