Slap in the face
spinr0k
Enthusiast - Level 2

So bait us to upgrade our 822 to a flagship Icon that is "8.1" ready and "right around the corner", then update the 822 first.

I got the Icon so I would be first at our company to get 8.1 so I could familiarize myself with it before it rolled out to the 822 users, you guys are pathetic, now I am having to update our 822 users and flying blind this morning.

And no I am not running the Developers Preview on a work phone, I shouldn't have to if Verizon did their job correctly as promised.

Thanks Verizon, I can hear you now.

This will not be forgotten, I feel bad for the next VZ rep that walks in here.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Slap in the face
rcschnoor
Legend

Maybe it is just me, but if you wanted to get a phone to familiarize yourself with 8.1, you should have gotten a phone WITH 8.1, not get a phone which had the same OS version your old phone had.

spinr0k
Enthusiast - Level 2

There was no 8.1 phone when I upgraded to the Icon, the Icon was to be the "Chosen one".  Thanks.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

spinr0k wrote:

There was no 8.1 phone when I upgraded to the Icon

That just goes to show that you SHOULD NOT have upgraded to a different phone if the point was to "familiarize" yourself with 8.1. You should have waited UNTIL you could purchase a phone which would allow you to perform the task you wanted to accomplish instead of purchasing a phone which COULDN'T.

As it stands, you made a bad decision and are trying to deflect blame to Verizon.Smiley Happy

spinr0k
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow the VZ trolls are thick in these forums.  Thanks for your 2 cents, hope you enjoy your gift card. 

The others in the same boat understand my frustration.

rcschnoor
Legend

spinr0k wrote:

The others in the same boat understand my frustration.

The boat where you purchase a device WITHOUT the capabilities you require???

If there are NO phones with the capabilities, wait until there are. If the phone you want doesn't have the capabilities, wait until it DOES. Purchasing a device WITHOUT the capabilities I require and then getting mad because what I had got the capabilities first would have me kicking myself, not the company who sold me the device. Of course, I wouldn't get myself in THAT boat.

I have been in a similar boat in the past, though. I was trying to decide between a couple of phones on a previous purchase. Neither had the capabilities I required but WOULD when they were updated to a newer OS version. I simply waited and purchased the FIRST one which got the update. No skin off my back. I simply didn't jump because of being impatient.

What happened to the 822 you were using before you upgraded to the ICON? Seems you could switch back and not fly blind any longer.Smiley Happy

Peter_T
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since the Lumia 822 came out before Icon, it's only logical that Verizon released their Window Phone 8.1 update to the Lumia 822 before they released it for the Icon.  (Though I thought they would be released roughly in the same time frame.)

As a longtime Lumia 822 user, I never felt that Verizon tried to "bait" me to upgrade to the Icon.  I think you outsmarted yourself by unnecessarily upgrading from the 822 to the Icon, thinking you would get a head start over Lumia 822 users with Windows Phone 8.1 operating system.

0 Likes
spinr0k
Enthusiast - Level 2

The big signs next to the Icon that stated:

• Windows Phone 8.1 ready

How dare I think that it will get the updates first since I was told by the VZ reps online and instore it would be the first to have it and the update for the Icon was right around the corner to 8.1 back in August when I got it.

I got hoodwinked and so did others, lesson learned.

I love my Icon, it is a great phone btw, it is quite a bit better than the 822.

Not applicable

8.1 ready doesn't state WHEN the phone will get it. Even if you got cyan months ago when you wanted it you'd be back here demanding Denim and complaining what garbage Cyan is, and when you got Denim you complain about that as soon as Windows 10 came out. Same thing with some of these people with Android phones. The next thing is the best thing ever and what they got( and were happy with for months ) is now trash. And when they get the new stuff as soon as word of newer stuff comes out then suddenly the greatest thing since sliced bread is worse than cow dung.

0 Likes
Peter_T
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I'm ready to upgrade my Lumia 822, I'll probably switch to a Windows Phone offered by AT&T since they appear to provide better support for Windows Phone users.

The only smartphone I'll buy in the future from Verizon would be an Apple iPhone, since Verizon only permits Apple to update their Verizon-compatible iPhones right away (and because Apple iPhones from Verizon come with their GSM and LTE bands unlocked).

But I will no longer even think of buying a Windows Phone (or even an Android Phone) from Verizon, since Verizon constantly drags its heals in regards to supplying timely updates to their Windows Phones and even Android smartphones.