Re: Re: Should Verizon's lack of response to Windows 8.1 update questions gives reason for pause.
Tidbits
Legend

sheen wrote:

Tidbits, lets me try explain this one more time.

1. The Icon phone isn't being updated responsively by Verizon. Who knows if they will ever update it. If I want to update it on my own, I can do the developer update.

IF they are the same then what difference does this make doing it now?  Seems like a weak argument if it's the same thing...

2. Icon users can decide to move to a another Cellular company that is more responsive with its Windows Phone Updates.

So a small handful of users out there have done the preview.  Doesn't mean that there isn't any problems.  Just look at the complaints that happens after the updates...(See AT&T forums)  They have a lot of complaints when everything was peachy from what the Internet said was peachy.  I have had trouble with Cortana with my 520(AT&T), 521(DP), 1520(AT&T), and M8(This was Beta. Verizon).  So I don't believe everything was peachy.

3. As a result I no longer need to pay Verizon every month. The first correction I had to make in one of you responses

You are still constrained to Verizon and that update you are longing for...  That's what makes it asinine.

4. I don't need to buy a new phone if I don't want too, because its unlocked.That was the second correction I had to make to your responses.

5. In response to you last comments, the unlocked Icon will work perfectly fine on other networks. And popping out one SIM Card for another is not that much trouble for me.

So losing LTE, and potentially 3G/4G in some areas won't entice you to buy a new device... Yes this happens... OFTEN...  Phones don't support every spectrum out there.  So if you are happy with 128kbps speeds potentially that's fine...  Most people are not.  In my Area AT&T is the only option to get full use...  AT&T and Verizon in terms of cost is almost a lateral move... However I will have reception issues with AT&T.  I can use it on T-Mobile and those areas would give me better reception, but I am stuck with 128kbps or slower speeds due to spectrum differences.

6. Also, the new Cellular provider will certainly offer a great deal on a new Windows Phone if I want it, Nokia or other, and because they are more responsive with Windows updates, I shouldn't have this Verizon dragging there feet problem with them.

Like I said and what if they are not?  AT&T isn't always the first and Verizon isn't always last when it comes to updates.  YMNK which devices will be updated first and last as it's dependent more on the development teams by the manufacturers than anything else.

6. If I go the new phone route, I can in turn choose to sell my Icon and pocket that cash.

So you saying you would buy another device right?  Which falls back if it's a Nokia Nokia wins.

There is absolutely nothing asinine about any of this. If enough Verizon customers do this, maybe Verizon will improve its Windows support in the future. If everyone just posts complaints and keeps staying with them when they continue to ignore those customer concerns, that is asinine.

Your argument is Asinine.  You are still constrained to Verizon one way another as long as you keep the Icon...  Good luck, and I have yet to see any deniable proof it's Verizon withholding the update.

0 Likes
Re: Should Verizon's lack of response to Windows 8.1 update questions gives reason for pause.
sheen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you meant to write "undeniable proof".

Who else is withholding it/dragging there feet. The update has been out for months and running on essentially identical Nokia units all around the world. What more proof do you need! If you can't see that, I guess you never will and have simply chosen total denial.

Re: Should Verizon's lack of response to Windows 8.1 update questions gives reason for pause.
Tidbits
Legend

sheen wrote:

I think you meant to write "undeniable proof".

Who else is withholding it/dragging there feet. The update has been out for months and running on essentially identical Nokia units all around the world. What more proof do you need! If you can't see that, I guess you never will and have simply chosen total denial.

Proof?  Microsoft uses proprietary code so you can't look at the code to say they are the same or not.  Again show something with more substance.  Also like the rest of the world the FCC isn't so nice about not going through their process.  Also majority of the world uses GSM and not CDMA which ALSO requires additional testing by Qualcomm.

0 Likes
sheen
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you are saying if you want prompt updates, your should leave Verizon and go to another carrier because they don't have to do this onerous and time consuming CDMA testing that Verizon has to do.

If Verizon wants to keeps its customers happy, it needs to figure out how to be more responsive despite this extra testing or expect to see customers leave as a result. They seemed to have figured out how to do it with other devices. They are smart people, if they want to, they will. If they don't, its because they don't.

Tidbits
Legend

No... I didn't say that... You probably have to go back to the beginning to find exactly what I said...

I said multiple times... Want faster updates and want less carrier control... Be like Europe...  They are getting what you want correct?  More updates and more often right?  What's the difference?  They blame the manufacturers and pressure them...  While we pressure carriers...  Why are the results different?  Carriers actually have less control than the masses believe...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

sheen wrote:

So you are saying if you want prompt updates, your should leave Verizon and go to another carrier because they don't have to do this onerous and time consuming CDMA testing that Verizon has to do.

If Verizon wants to keeps its customers happy, it needs to figure out how to be more responsive despite this extra testing or expect to see customers leave as a result. They seemed to have figured out how to do it with other devices. They are smart people, if they want to, they will. If they don't, its because they don't.

It starts with the manufacturer.  Carriers don't touch code and MANUFACTURERS have ADMITTED this on MULTIPLE occasions.  If they touch the RIL/HAL/Firmware it needs to got through additional testing.  If not they don't touch it then at times updates come quicker. So do you expect if people have trouble with the radio/RIL/HAL/WiFi/Bluetooth be left out in the cold so you can get updates faster?  So depending on who, and how fast the development team assigned to do the work affects how the updates come.

It isn't black and white like you believe it to be.  When Verizon and the rest of the carriers move to VOLTE and it's set then all of this will be Moot.  Consumers can buy what they want unlocked and be used as they please, and CDMA is phased out(except probably India).

B33
Legend

Good info..

0 Likes
Tstan053
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't forget. Verizon has already informed everyone that HTC will update to 8.1 in October. One would guess 8.1 can operate on CDMA just fine.

There isn't a problem with QC's chip running 8.1 either.

So what seems to be the problem?

My problem is with the absence of communication from Verizon about 8.1 for the Icon.

B33
Legend

Just passing on Good info to Tidbits.. I do have Windows 8.1 on my P.C. its a nice change from XP but I've held off doing the last updates for as I've read Via askwoody.com  there's a few issues lurking and it best not to update.)  I don't know if what runs on the P.C is the same Variant as what runs on the smartphones but if its the same or close to it,  user's might want to let the update that is coming slide a for a few weeks maybe a month to just to make sure it's running in good order.. b

0 Likes
MLG1
Enthusiast - Level 2

B33: There is no reason not to make the 8.1 updates on a PC (all four PCs and the two tablets at our house are updated regularly and all operate just fine), and at this point, there's no reason for Verizon to hold back the Cyan update to our phones as it's been widely tested in the developer's preview. Lacking any other information from Verizon, one must only presume that they either don't care about servicing the phones they've sold or they've entered into some deal with competing hardware manufacturers that negatively impacts Windows phone owners.