SD Card Errors on every restart...
ajhart
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have started having a problem with my SD Card (32MB).  Symptoms are:

• On every reboot, the OS indicates there are SD Card Errors.  I say yes to fix them as most of my apps are on the SD card.  After a minute or two, they appear on the default screen (and function OK).  This has been going on for about two months.
  • This week, the phone has stopped completing app updates ("we're having trouble installing this app...").  Always hit "try again", and it does not work.  Therefore, I can install no app updates.
  • Some existing apps store user data on usage.  I have noticed the incremental data (i.e. since a reboot) disappears after a short time.

All of this tells me I have an SD card which acts like it needs to be replaced.  I need some advise on options at this point.  Right now, I am thinking the following is my only option:

• Backup the files on the SD card (pics, vids, et al.) to my PC.
  • Perform a hard reset on the phone; reformat the SD Card; restore the system backup
  • Go through the pain of downloading everything.
  • After this is done, power-down the phone; put the files back on the SD card from my PC; reinsert into phone and power-up
  • Theoretically, after 3-4 hours, I should have the phone working again.

Any other thoughts out there on what to do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SD Card Errors on every restart...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We regret to learn you’re having trouble with your SD card, ajhart. We know how important it is to have the additional storage to save all important content. You’re definitely one step ahead of the game with your thinking. This does sound like there may be an error with the SD card. Have you tried another card in the phone to see if you receive the same issues? How much space is available on the SD card? Have you tried the SD card in another device?

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: SD Card Errors on every restart...
ajhart
Enthusiast - Level 2

All good questions.  Unfortunately, for the consumer, there is little I can do on-phone to troubleshoot whether this is an SD Card error (i.e. bad card), a bad sector on the SD Card, a problem with the OS in reading/writing to the SD card, and/or an issue with one or more apps using the SD card.

I will attempt to answer you questions:

Have you tried another card in the phone to see if you receive the same issues?  Since virtually all my apps are based from the SD card, trying a new card will not necessarily show whether the existing card is bad or not.  I do have a new 32MB SD card procurred and ready to replace the current one when I do a hard-reset on the device.

How much space is available on the SD card? 19.38GB free

Have you tried the SD card in another device?  I have used the card with a reader from my PC with no issue (have backed up all the files there).  I have also run a disc check on the card with no errors found.  This leads me to believe the problem is in the "system" part of the card, which is being used by the Windows Phone OS apps installed...nothing I can do about that without starting all over.

Other thoughts?

0 Likes