Preparing for WP. Can I get advice/tips?
Cyberpunk_Eevee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm still planning my switch to the HTC One M8 for Windows. I've been on Android for over five years.

*What's the process for switching over(besides keeping one of my Android devices to use some paid apps)?

*Is it difficult?

*Can I automagically switch all of my contacts or do I do it manually? What is the app store actually like?

*Is it basically like the one on the PC for Win8.1 desktop or XBOX Live?

*Is it possible to convert android apps to run on WP8.1?

*Is there anything else I should know about making the plunge?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Preparing for WP. Can I get advice/tips?
primortal
Master - Level 1

Elector provide a good link for migration of contacts and such.

• Personally the UI in Windows Phone is much more intuitive than Andriod's.  Windows Phone Live Tile are great when you need to glance on what's going on in your life, email, calendars, SMS.  Along with productivity apps.  For example I have Nokia Drive pinned to my Start screen its configured for my commute to work and I can turn the phone on in the morning and see how long it would take and the amount of traffic I will encounter; awesome .
  • The apps store aren't too bad, still needs some work but it functional.  It's a little different than the one on Windows 8.1 and XBOX One.  You can install apps over the web so you don't need to be on your phone to do so.
  • No you cannot covert Andriod apps to run on Windows Phone.
  • Your last question is subjective; it boils down to your usage and how it translates to Windows Phone.

If you take the plunge into Windows Phone and you have a Microsoft Store around you, purchase your phone from them instead of VZW.  The reason is if you take the insurance and something happens to your phone 14+ days later you pay a deductible and get a brand new phone.  VZW will only give you a refurbished one and most likely be a lemon.

I'd also suggest joining the Preview for Developers program to get the latest version of the OS in a timely manner.  Because VZW is known for their very slow update releases, so if you are expecting to get Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 + Denim, plan on getting it sometime in late winter or early spring of next year.

Phone of choice is up to you buy I'd recommend a Lumia device over HTC or Samsung.  Microsoft goes out of their way to add enhancements to the devices way after their release via firmware updates over any other OEM.

View solution in original post

Not applicable
0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Elector provide a good link for migration of contacts and such.

• Personally the UI in Windows Phone is much more intuitive than Andriod's.  Windows Phone Live Tile are great when you need to glance on what's going on in your life, email, calendars, SMS.  Along with productivity apps.  For example I have Nokia Drive pinned to my Start screen its configured for my commute to work and I can turn the phone on in the morning and see how long it would take and the amount of traffic I will encounter; awesome .
  • The apps store aren't too bad, still needs some work but it functional.  It's a little different than the one on Windows 8.1 and XBOX One.  You can install apps over the web so you don't need to be on your phone to do so.
  • No you cannot covert Andriod apps to run on Windows Phone.
  • Your last question is subjective; it boils down to your usage and how it translates to Windows Phone.

If you take the plunge into Windows Phone and you have a Microsoft Store around you, purchase your phone from them instead of VZW.  The reason is if you take the insurance and something happens to your phone 14+ days later you pay a deductible and get a brand new phone.  VZW will only give you a refurbished one and most likely be a lemon.

I'd also suggest joining the Preview for Developers program to get the latest version of the OS in a timely manner.  Because VZW is known for their very slow update releases, so if you are expecting to get Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 + Denim, plan on getting it sometime in late winter or early spring of next year.

Phone of choice is up to you buy I'd recommend a Lumia device over HTC or Samsung.  Microsoft goes out of their way to add enhancements to the devices way after their release via firmware updates over any other OEM.

Cyberpunk_Eevee
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you recommend a Microsoft store. Understandable. They'd probably know more than some VZW store peoples.

Why a Lumia over others? Could you give me some examples of this line: "Microsoft goes out of their way to add enhancements to the devices way after their release via firmware updates over any other OEM."?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

VZW store employees are clueless when it comes to talking about or providing tech support for Windows Phone

For example when Cyan is released for Lumia devices we'll get SensorCore; some links about it, Nokia's SensorCore opens up Windows Phone to health and fitness apps galore | Windows Central and nice writeup by a community member, http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/309085-what-exactly-sensorcore-answers-inside-new...

When Denim is released, http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/lumia-denim-update/

You don't see this much dedication in updating devices from HTC or Samsung.

EyeballIB
Enthusiast - Level 2

My $.02.

I bought a Lumia 928 about a year ago because I really (really really) like the WP8 metro UI.  Really slick, customizable, and interesting.  I was using a Galaxy Nexus android.

Moving over was easy.  I physically took my SIM from the GN and dropped it into the 928.  Done...  Since all my contacts were setup in Google - they pretty much came right down once I created the Google account on the Windows phone.  There is also an app (Transfer My Data) that you can put on your WP to transfer existing SMS & Pictures via bluetooth (I think it can do music now as well).  From there it was just a matter of installing the apps I wanted.

There is a store on the phone & on the web just like google play or the apple store - slightly different UI (of course), but basically a collection of apps you can install.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably run the Lumia on WiFi for a few days (continuing to use my old phone) and get it all setup before moving the SIM.  This way you can take your time with it - you're not stuck on an all-day process trying to get all your apps in order (or trying to find replacements for the ones not available on WP platform). 

There's the rub - what actually kills me personally is the lack of Google Voice/Hangouts & Verizon Messages.  I could get by without all the other Google stuff I used while on Android (books, music), but I use Hangouts a lot for work, and Messages (over WiFi) saves me a fortune when I travel (no more $.50 texts overseas).  I've been bouncing back and forth between the two phones for now - I pretty much am sick of android, but cannot fully commit to WP either.

I signed up for the Preview for Developers from MS, so I'm on the current release of 8.1 (with Cortana).  Pretty significant improvement from 8.

0 Likes