Re: Phone turns off when not used
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

I realize it's frustrating, but I'd have waited it out to see what happens with the update from Microsoft.  I can't say I blame you, though.

0 Likes
CelC
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is frustrating but I didn't have much information or apps or anything on it yet. Oh well, I hope they fix it soon. I really like the phone and Windows 8. I would like to buy a new Windows 8 laptop next year when they make them with Windows 8 Pro. I do a lot of Excel and Access programming.

Hope yours and everyone's is fixed soon.

Merry Christmas.

0 Likes
cathieq
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got my Nokia yesterday and already having problems. It doesn't have a screen even when connected to the battery charger. Did the "hold down volume/power buttons" thingy until I got the cube...but that sure takes the excitement out of having the phone. Hate to think I have to do this all the time just to use it....drats.

0 Likes
zalmesana
Enthusiast - Level 2

After trying every tip on this forum, Multiple trips to the Verizon store for troubleshooting and being told by Verizon employees that everybody was in the same boat with this phone and Windows was working the bugs out (hopefully within the next few months )my husband after investing probably close to 8 hours with tech-support between Verizon and Nokia finally demanded that he got his money back . At that point they said they would send him a new phone. which they did. he has now had it for approximately 10 days and we have not had one problem with it. He loves it now that it's working correctly. sounds like some of these phones have a lot of bugs. Instead of going through everything that he went through, you might want to request a new one now. good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
artfoto123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got my Windows Phone the week of Thanksgiving and within the first 10 days the phone shut off overnight. Ok no big deal..took it into the Verizon store and they said "oh just take out the battery, no big deal, you should be good to go now!:"NOPE..I am not. at least once a week since then my phone has randomly turned off when not in use, mostly overnight or during long periods in the day! This is so frustrating. I did the reset as suggestion on this forum.  So far so good....then WHAM today I have had the phone shut off 3 times! Once while in th middle of a call...VERIZON STORE HERE I COME....the cruddy part is I really like this phone....maybe there are too many out there that had bad batteries?

UGH!!

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

My suggestion would be to relax, take a deep breath, and think happy thoughts.  Those of us carrying Windows Phone 8 devices right now are early adopters, and as such, should expect problems in the beginning.  Having been an early adopter of many different phones over the years, from WAY before iPhone, I've come to expect this kind of thing.  It's really not that big a deal unless it's doing it all the time, and then you may possibly have a lemon.  Microsoft has already put out an update that is directed at solving this problem, and were it not for the fact that this is their first OTA update ever, we probably would have all gotten it by now.  But being that it is their first, they will proceed cautiously, taking the phones small groups at a time, and update them batch by batch, working out the kinks, just like they did with Nodo and Mango when they rolled out those updates on WP7.  Those were not OTA updates, but it was their first time updating an entire population of phones at once.  They did Nodo cautiously and slowly, and then Mango was much quicker.  Now they're doing Portico slowly as it is their first OTA update.

Be patient.  I know it's a pain, but that's one of the things that goes with being an early adopter. 

0 Likes
quadmom5

I activated my Lumia 822 on Christmas Day. I have had it shut off 2x. I chose this phone because I wanted something a little different than the popular iPhone. I also have enjoyed and trusted Nokia products in the past. This issue is inconvenient but I am going to stick with it in hopes of an update to correct the problem. In just a few days I have come to really love this phone and I want it to get the most out of it. Microsoft, don't let me down.

0 Likes
Leo261
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine's been doing it intermittently too. I had a one week period where it didn't and now it has started turning off randomly again. The worse thing is I use it as an alarm to get up, as most of us do (do not miss having an alarm/radio bedside) and have missed important appointments because it shutoff overnight and not due to a dead battery.

I called Verizon and they said I was the first person to express this issue?!?!? REALLY!!!!. I hadn't yet seen this string of issues posted, or I would have referenced it. They had me do an annoying factory reset and are sending me a new battery, which came today but I wasn't home to receive it. The factory reset did not work because it mysteriously turned off again today and I had to yet again > Remove cover > take out battery > replace battery > replace cover...how barbaric! I'll post back to advise if the new battery Verizon sent, remedies the defect in Verizon Nokia Lumia 822.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

It's not the battery.  It's a bug in the OS.  Microsoft has put out an update, and it has gone out to some phones, (8x international, and some other places, 920 on ATT and some other places).  At this point it looks like it's up to Verizon (possibly in concert with Microsoft - maybe some changes after initial push to other phones) to decide when to give it to us.  That is what should solve your problem.  Unfortunately, this is part of being an early adopter, and all of us who are using WP8 right now really are early adopters.  I've been an early adopter for years, so I guess I'm just used to it.  After the update, and especially after the next update (code named Apollo+), that's when you'll see it become stable.

For the moment, try this reset - I've seen it posted by others that Nokia support reps (not Verizon) have had people do this, and with varying success.  You will not lose any data, as this is not a hard reset, so don't worry about that.

• Turn the phone off - all the way - hold the power button, then slide the screen down to turn off.
  • Plug it into the power cord and at the same time, press and hold the Volume Down button. 
  • Hold the Volume Down button until the big exclamation point appears, then let go.
  • Phone should reboot.

I'm not sure if this made any difference for me or not, but it didn't hurt anything.  It's worth a shot.

primortal
Master - Level 1

Not sure if its the OS or the hardware.

Knock on wood, my 822 has been flawless since I've had it.  No issues with the SD card or random lockup or reboots.

0 Likes