Re: Phone turns off when not used
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

We could hope that they would, but the fact is that no, Verizon is not the best source of information when it comes to Windows Phone.  I get most of my info from WPCentral, or from the Windows Phone Developer Center (I'm a dev), or a few other places (Nokia - I just joined the Nokia Premium Developer program so that I could get some of their perks, too), but if you go look in the WPCentral forums, specifically their WP8 forum and the Lumia 822 forum, you'll find infinitely more info than here.  I only come here to help people here, but I've even gotten sick of that, because I'm tired of signing in and seeing helpful posts marked "This post is currently under moderation" for no good reason.  The mods over here have some kind of power thing going on, and I'm just about done, so about the only time I even come over here anymore is when I see an email from a thread I've commented on already.  Check out forums.wpcentral.com, and if you get the wpcentral app (it is definitely worth the 99 cents (I think that's what it cost) for the full version, but even the trial is good), and you'll get some good news on WP as well.

0 Likes
CelC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi hopmedic:

I called Verizon as you said (about my phone turning off when not used--like overnight) and was transferred twice and then finally they transferred me to a Nokia person in Asia. I took a deep sigh!!! BUT, she told me to plug the charger in my phone and wall socket and at the same time hold the on/off power swith and the volume down buttons on the right side. I did this until a big exclamation point came up. She told me to turn the phone on then off then on again to see if would come on and it did. My phone has not shut down since! It worked!

CelC

hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

That is VERY interesting....  I'll have to share that one at WPCentral.  I honestly have to say that I'm impressed - I didn't expect that they would transfer you to someone at Nokia, but in this case, I'm glad that it worked out.  I rather expected that they'd ship you a new phone.  Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that you shouldn't rely on these boards for the more pressing stuff, as they're more geared for us helping each other.  But now that you've shared this tip, I'll be sure to pass it along to others having this same problem.

This didn't reset your phone back to factory settings did it?

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Hmmm.... How long did you have to hold the buttons, and did the red box screen keep flashing?  I just tried this, and it flashed about 10 times before I gave up.

0 Likes
CelC
Enthusiast - Level 2

No it did not set the phone back to factory settings. Please share because I am unable to reply on the Verizon website. I sign on and when I go to the forum where I first placed my message, I try to hit reply to any of the messages and on the right side it says "retrieving data". It does this and will not stop "ret. data". So that is why I am not posting there anymore.

Thanks,

Celec

0 Likes
CelC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes the red box kept flashing and after awhile she told me to let it go. That was on Thursday and my phone has stayed on ever since then. Is your phone turning off too?

0 Likes
CelC
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Nokia person also gave me an "open ticket number" in case it happens again. I have the phone number if you need it. They are open M-F 9AM-9PM EST and Sat 10AM-7PM.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Mine hasn't turned off, but it has locked up several times while talking on the phone, and I've had to pull the battery to resolve it, and I've also witnessed it rebooting while it was just sitting on my desk or a table.  I'm going to hold off on trying this for now, as I did a hard reset today, and I want to see if that resolves it.  I did the hard reset in the hopes of resolving an issue with jittery recording of video when recording to the SD card.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Last night on Twitter I happened to see a conversation between Nokia Care US and someone else, and saw the correct steps to get the exclamation point.  After another reboot this am, I tried it.  We'll see if it works.  Here's how I did it and actually did see the exclamation point:

1. Turn phone off.  Not asleep, but all the way off.

2. Plug phone in and at the same time, pressed power button and volume down button, then released and held down the volume down button.  The exclamation point came up.

3. Press/hold power button until it restarted again.

Now I'll wait and see if it happens again....

0 Likes
CelC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been meaning to email you all week. After the "fix" you describe below, my phone worked for about 5 days. Then it shut down over night. I called Asia (Nokia) again since I have an open ticket and another person told me to turn it off, plug it in, hold the volume up button, then down button, then up button, then down button, then power button and then restart the phone. They told me to "watch" my phone for 24 hours. About 2 days later, it turned off again over night. The battery was fully charged still. Nokia said that I could mail it back to them to troubleshoot or call Verizon for a new phone.

Yesterday I called and asked for a new phone and they put it in the mail to me today. I should get it next week. They will bill my account for the new phone and then when I return the other phone they will issue a credit. They Verizon person said that they were aware of the issue.

I hope this one works.

CelC

0 Likes