Phone Taking Up 8.7GB for "Other"?
drichter
Contributor - Level 1

So I went to go load music on my phone. I had about 600 pictures and my phone was almost full. I thought taking off all the pictures would fix the problem so I did. After taking them all off I found my phone still only has 1.3gb available. I then turn around and try to clear internet cache. That does nothing (1.48gb). Then I go and delete my text messages....nothing happens. I got to storage on my phone and it says 2.4gb is from system. Fair enough but I still have 6.26gb for other. What could it be?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone Taking Up 8.7GB for "Other"?
Yrral3215

I have the 16 gb 8x and mine shows the following:

Music and videos 914 mb ( I have no  music and 4 or 5 1 minute videos)

Pictures 1.88 gb (lots of pics)

Apps  629 mb

Other  1.71 gb

System  2.41 gb

Free 7.04 gb

I havent tried to clear anything.

0 Likes
drichter
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah...I wonder why I have 6gb of "Other" What is it?! lol

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

It's Windows Phones way of storing information to take up any free space left that is on your phone. So basically real estate in windows phones are in high demand, so your apps are reserving up space just in case in the future when you run out of total gb, they can use those reserved storage space to put in their updates and new content. I guess apps like people too, buy property now, so in the future when the market has run out real state, you won't have to worry about it lol

Here is a detail explanation of it

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpstart/what-is-other-under-storage/979d2948-2...

Btw did you happen to download offline maps? Some of them might be stored there too from Bing Maps

0 Likes
drichter
Contributor - Level 1

So basically it will clear itself. Interesting.

0 Likes
drichter
Contributor - Level 1

Ok. I so my phone has a "Low Storage" message all the sudden. I have no pictures, very little music, just tons of others. Ideas?

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

I would say contact HTC and see what they say

0 Likes