Highlighted

Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Sr. Leader

I also want to add... Without the signed keys from Qualcomm you can't submit the update to the FCC...  the CDMA radio will not work, and if you used a hacked way of doing it Qualcomm has the right to sue you.  Proprietary software in full effect.

Highlighted

Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Myself personally, I've given up on the fact that Verizon would even consider giving any customer the slightest possible idea of when the rollout should take place.  Windows Phone from what I understand has only about just under 4% of the U.S. Market share, so a priority is not an issue with Verizon at this time.  Which is a sad thing, because ANY Verizon Wireless customer should be given top priority.  And I'm not just talking about standard customer service.  I'm talking about ALL areas, including software updates and such.  Granted, it does take time to make sure the software being offered needs to be in excellent working order.  But when you have countless inquires from Windows Phone owners, and continual silence on the part of Verizon, for me it tends to tarnish the relationship between the customer and the provider.  Meaning, it's no longer the issue of Windows Phone but rather an issue with customer devotion.  At this point it wouldn't matter if I had an iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, or an old fashioned flip phone.  What would matter is how the provider supports it's customer base.  Verizon, you need to either act on pushing the update out, or at the very least you owe it to your customers on giving an estimated time schedule and/or status of functionality on this update.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Sr. Leader

ryanthecryinglion wrote:

Myself personally, I've given up on the fact that Verizon would even consider giving any customer the slightest possible idea of when the rollout should take place.  Windows Phone from what I understand has only about just under 4% of the U.S. Market share, so a priority is not an issue with Verizon at this time.  Which is a sad thing, because ANY Verizon Wireless customer should be given top priority.  And I'm not just talking about standard customer service.  I'm talking about ALL areas, including software updates and such.  Granted, it does take time to make sure the software being offered needs to be in excellent working order.  But when you have countless inquires from Windows Phone owners, and continual silence on the part of Verizon, for me it tends to tarnish the relationship between the customer and the provider.  Meaning, it's no longer the issue of Windows Phone but rather an issue with customer devotion.  At this point it wouldn't matter if I had an iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, or an old fashioned flip phone.  What would matter is how the provider supports it's customer base.  Verizon, you need to either act on pushing the update out, or at the very least you owe it to your customers on giving an estimated time schedule and/or status of functionality on this update.

Giving estimates on code that you don't even produce isn't going to happen.  Nokia/Microsoft wrote the code, and are the ones that need to get it ready and give estimates.  All the devices you mentioned... from the iPhone to Windows Phone...  When have you ever heard an estimated release date that came from carriers.  ALL of them came from the manufacturers.  Manufacturers have already admitted multiple times carriers has less control than the hyperbole being passed around on the internet.  Manufacturers do love it with misplaced blame happens because it doesn't hurt their sales figures.  People were still buying HTC devices here in the states while in Europe their sales numbers plummeted and now HTC trying to pull themselves out the hole.

Highlighted

Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Novice

Tidbits wrote:

Manufacturers have already admitted multiple times carriers has less control than the hyperbole being passed around on the internet.

Prove it. Where are these so called multiple admissions? regarding Windows Phones?

Till then, doesn't matter what you say.

If creating updates for phones is such a huge waste of time for everyone involved

Why waste resources and time doing it in the first place?

If the Manufacturer's are the one's holding up the release, why develop the update at all?

If it is to drive sales of newer phones, it seems a HUGE waste of time and money for all involved.

Manufacturers created and released the update, many phones are getting the updates, so it's not vaporware.

Where is the logic in that? There isn't any, hence your argument and all the others along your same lines, are completely full of iT.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Sr. Leader

Tepid wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Manufacturers have already admitted multiple times carriers has less control than the hyperbole being passed around on the internet.

Prove it. Where are these so called multiple admissions? regarding Windows Phones?

Till then, doesn't matter what you say.

Doesn't matter if it regarding Windows Phone, Android, or iPhone.  Propriety code isn't given out to anyone including carriers.  Show me a company that will give source code to someone outside the company?  Even Google which is one of the most open source friendly companies out there keeps their code private(AOSP is missing proprietary code).  Manufacturers already showed their Android update process correct?  Then look at Nokia's generalized process on their update page.  If you separate Nokia remarks by commas you can see where in the processes line up with manufacturers have said the process is.  Carriers are hands off until testing phase.  Manufacturers gives a set of options based on what they are willing to give.  Everything is give to manufacturers in advance.

If creating updates for phones is such a huge waste of time for everyone involved

Why waste resources and time doing it in the first place?

That's how manufacturers make money...  Much like any company out there they have to decide on a product they want to sell...

If the Manufacturer's are the one's holding up the release, why develop the update at all?

They actually prefer NOT to spend resources update anything.  OS developers have INCENTIVE to do so.  Google makes money off peoples data.  Apple makes money off iTunes, and keeping people on their platform.  Microsoft is on the same boat between Apple and Google model.  So producing updates is important to them to make people keep going gaga over the OS.  Their licensing agreement to use their respective OS requires updates to happen for a time period. 

If it is to drive sales of newer phones, it seems a HUGE waste of time and money for all involved.

Manufacturers created and released the update, many phones are getting the updates, so it's not vaporware.

Show me how manufacturers have incentive to update the OS other than sales?  They make money pushing people buying devices they do not have incentive updating devices.  They make an agreement with OS developers to update devices(There's plenty of information about this whether iOS, Android, or Windows Phone) which is part of the licensing agreement.  If that wasn't there I am willing to put money on it that devices would be updated less if at all.

Where is the logic in that? There isn't any, hence your argument and all the others along your same lines, are completely full of iT.

Cool story...  I suggest you start making your own devices and sign some agreements and spend overhead.  You'll see how much control manufacturers actually have.  Just make sure it isn't CDMA as you'd have to deal with Qualcomm testing which takes additional time for you to release devices.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Novice

That is the biggest load of garbage I have read in a long time.

End-user software agreement - Nokia

Show me where in the EULA it says they are bound by agreement to provide updates?

They don't,,, in fact

To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law,

the Software is provided “AS IS” without warranty or support of any kind;

Wanna try again?

Manufacturers have already admitted multiple times carriers has less control than the hyperbole being passed around on the internet.

Has nothing to do with the code,, but since you brought it up

They share code all the time, some code no, but they have to share and open code if Carriers are going to do testing and add their own garbage.

That's where non-disclosure agreements come in. And those fines can be extremely hefty, so yeah, they share code. Stop trying to justify what is happening.

You have no argument.

Highlighted

Re: Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Sr. Leader

If you actually read what I said the EULA applies to YOU, but what the manufacturers sign is different than that EULA...  Do you wanna try again?

Like I said make your own device and you'll see the differences.  It's nice being an end user, and a totally different world actually producing the hardware.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Novice

Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Conversations : now part of Microsoft

Lumia Denim update will start rolling out during Q4 2014, following partner testing and approvals.

You still have no argument.

So, prove it, where is this alleged agreement about updates must be provided to carriers?

Just cause you say it is so, doesn't mean it is so.

Prove it.

Links, documents, notices, TPS Reports, where?

Oh yes, those illusive non-public agreements that can't be disclosed to the light of day.

One's anyone can say exist, but really, do they?

If you can't prove it, sorry, try again.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Sr. Leader

Google search

Microsoft promise on windows phone updates

Google Android update promise

They both promise 18 months and put it into the licensing agreement to ensure OEMs comply with this... Apple deals with their own software and hardware and they themselves have at least 3 years of updates(some features end up missing every major release).

Goes back to what I said originally. Stop thinking emotionally and more logically.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Re: Nokia announced Cyan availability 4 weeks ago. What is the rollout plan, Verizon?

Sr. Leader

OEMs or manufacturers if you will all sign a licensing agreement which is different from the EULA we sign...

0 Likes