Nokia Lumia 928 Can't Retrieve Data?
JLasch

I've been having an odd problem recently, and I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar issues. It's a little difficult to explain, but I'll do my best.

So let's say I power the phone down all the way, and then turn it back on. Then if I load Facebook or a web page or a news app, all is well and the data refreshes just fine. However, if I put the phone back to sleep and put it in my pocket, the next time I open it up, it loses its data connection. Facebook won't refresh, web sites won't load, I don't get any email notifications, etc. It says I have 4 bars of LTE and a strong wi-fi connection, but for some reason it just can't load anything. The only way I can get it to receive data again is to power it all the way down and turn it back on.

Airplane mode isn't on, nor is battery saver turned on. I use about half of my available data plan each month, so even if I had Data Sense set to limit data when close to the limit, that wouldn't be the issue. I've been unable to find any setting that would suggest that the phone just cuts off data randomly. I have numerous other devices connected to the same w-fi without issue.

I updated the OS to 8.0.10327.77, and while the issue did seem to appear after that update, I don't recall it starting immediately after the update. This is something that I've noticed consistently occurring only within the last week or so. My wife has the exact same phone, and she's noticing the same issue, but for her it occurs sporadically...there's no consistency to it.

Is anyone else having this kind of a problem? It's incredibly frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any insight/suggestions.

~JL

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Nokia Lumia 928 Can't Retrieve Data?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this JLasch! Does this happen even is you aren't connected to wifi and connected to the Verizon Wireless network? Have you had a chance to test with a different wifi? Try powering your router off/on and if unsuccessful and the common denominator points to your phone try backing up and completing a factory reset here http://vz.to/18MAzmV Please share your test results. Thank you. 

TominqueBo_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JLasch

TominqueBo:

Thanks for getting back to me! I did find a solution, but it's not optimal. I went to Settings>Cellular and changed the setting "For limited WiFi connectivity" to "use cellular data". After changing that setting the issue seems to appear much less frequently, but the connection seems to be much slower. Of course the other down side is that even when my home Wi-Fi signal is strong (according to the image on the phone), I'm using data from my plan. I only use about half of my available data per month, but I don't want to see how long it lasts when the phone is arbitrarily opting to use cellular data despite an apparently strong Wi-Fi signal.

I will try resetting the wireless router this evening when I get home, and see if that resolves the issue. I have my doubts about that being effective, given that my latop, Xbox, blu-ray player, my wife's laptop, and her 928 all work off the same Wi-Fi without issue. If that doesn't work, I'll try a factory reset. Quick question: if I do a factory reset, will the app store remember the apps that I've purchased? The list isn't long, but I'd still like to avoid re-purchasing things.

Thanks!

JL

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JL
Yes the paid applications should be backed by the email address. Once the email is entered the paid applications will return. Please keep us posted on your issue.

JoeL_VZW

Please follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Asmuel

I have the same problem. I have to turn off the the wifi and turn it back on to retrieve data. One would think that even if  the wifi is not working you could still get updates on email, etc. through the 4G network, but it doesn't.  Also have had to do soft reset numerous times because of screen freezing and not acknowledging any touch. I've seen people have had the same issues with Nokia 920 in different forums.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Asmuel,

Let's get these issues resolved at once! Sounds like a third party may be conflicting with your device as these issues are commonly associated with third party app conflicts. Please do a factory reset http://vz.to/18MAzmV and test your device for a couple of days without any third party applications installed. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes