Re: Nokia Lumia 822 randomly shuts down completely and will not power back on
tialms

I too am having this issue . Last week received a  replacement (refurbished)  with the same issues only worse. my original phone that I got in March was shutting off about once a week this one is almost daily. Today the verizon rep told me this is a new issue (which is obviously crap) and a patch would be out late August. They will not give me another phone  as I am past the 14 day return period of the NEW one purchased in March. she also said to not save any photos on the phone, to use a memory card to save them(hellooo isn't one of the reasons for this phone to take pictures with?) plus I only had about 25 pictures.and to delete all texts everyday! stupid ! what if I want to save some! also had very few apps installed. so now I guess I will have to wait to see if the update works (if it ever comes out) since they will not do anything else for me. and when my contract comes due for renewal I will look elsewhere.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there tialms,

I know how disappointing it is when your device does not perform to your expectations and I absolutely want to make sure that we get you back up and running. The Nokia 822 is a great phone so we want to do everything we can to give you the best experience.

At this time it is a known issue that has been brought to the attention of Nokia. It is currently under review and a fix is in place in the form of a software update with a tentative release in August.  Please visit http://vz.to/n5snpq for updates on software releases and other device offerings.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
VZcamel
Enthusiast - Level 1

I feel for you, or anyone that has the NOKIA LUMIA 822...

I have been a VZ customer since pre-'05, and been on a 4-5 person plan since '06. This has been the worst phone ever. We are about to get our 4th replacement. More disappointing has been the Worry Free Guarantee®? is bull. A 14 day replacement(or is it 30?) or what ever.You would think after 3 returns and my history they would reach customer satisfaction in something other than keep replacing a phone you have lost all confidence in. The first three times were an issue with a card made of paper mostly(I think its simm, my daughters phone)in the phone. Now it turns off like you explained in your post. Here is my recommendation to anyone that uses VZ...:

1) Never under any circumstances "buy" a phone or due any business from a NON-CORPORATE  VZ store. They might hang the company name over their door, but VZ corp. does not stand behind anything they due, say, sell etc. The only time I would go in a non-corp VZ store is to use their bathroom (maybe not). If I did not travel, I would have dropped VZ at no matter what the cost over this incident (on-going, yet unresolved). But in my travels and speaking w/others we all have tried other co.'s and dealt with the dropped calls etc. Maybe things have changed in the last year IDK. Ok I could go on, but I hope my point has been made. And for the money they charge, you would think they would have more confidence in the products they sell/service and I would think that to have to replace a phone 3 going on 4 times they would do the right thing...replace this device w/different one... Ohhhh, one last comment, IDK what the % of issues w/NOKIA 822 are but I think to say "it's a great phone!" is a weak & would bet non-factual statement. As we are going on the 4th replacement!!! aND WHY WOULD YOU CONTINUE TO SELL A DEVICE WITH A "known issue" ????

>Minor edit<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

0 Likes
jschneider23

Like a lot of people in the community here, my wife's 822 has had the same hanging problem, requiring a battery pull or soft reset.

Thankfully, she's been pretty patient in dealing with it, and after our visit to our local VZW store, where the rep also informed us that an update was incoming which would address this specific issue, she was satisfied and willing to wait.

Unfortunately, that was almost two months ago and this update is still nowhere to be found and she's starting to get annoyed.

Worst of all, this was her first smartphone after I finally convinced her to look at one and it's soured the whole experience for her.  If the update is truly coming in August it won't be an issue but if it doesn't drop soon we're going to really need some help to make her not regret her decision.

Our company has 5 lines and two internet devices on our plan and haven't seriously looked at other carriers but if this situation doesn't get better it may be time to examine our options again.

Patiently waiting still, hopefully going to see an update in August to take care of this problem.

0 Likes
ARowald

I've had mine since April, and it has done random power downs since. I went in to the store in June and the tech that helped me said the patch was supposed to be coming out soon. Further down on here, however, it seems that people were under the impression that the patch was supposed to come out in May. I've noticed that if my WiFi is off, and I don't have a MicroSD card (which my phone personally has fried 3 of) in the phone, it lasts a lot longer. I've also noticed that if I use a single unit charger (instead of the USB cable and wall hub provided with the phone), it is less likely to power down unexpectedly.

Hopefully if you try some of these things it'll help your phone, because I've tried everything I can think of.

0 Likes
Jancass

That is about when I got my new phone too,(This Spring) and it shut down within the first week and I took it to a Verizon store and she showed me how to unplug my battery to restart! Really? She didn't say anything about it being a known problem and I have had to remove the back cover and the battery about every other day since.  I called the Verizon help, did get a very nice customer service tech, he tried to get a hold of Nokia, but I don't think he got through.  If Nokia is aware why are they not fixing the problem or something? and the 'fix' everyone talks about? with the volume button and on/off button and exclamation point? etc is ridiculous!  They are supposed to send me a new phone this week, I am praying I am one of the lucky ones and get one that actually works...I agree with VZcamel, why would you sell a phone that you know has a problem Nokia???

0 Likes
ReallyMadCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 3

>At this time it is a known issue that has been brought to the attention of Nokia. It is currently under review and a fix is in

>place in the form of a software update with a tentative release in August.

It is now August 20th.  Has the release date firmed up?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

GDR2 was released yesterday.  Download the update and see if that fixes your issue.

0 Likes
hccbello
Enthusiast - Level 1

How and where do u download GDR2?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Go to Settings, locate Phone Update and then check for update.

0 Likes