Need more proof that complaining to the FCC works?
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Let's start things off with the "official" statement below from the FCC regarding their complaint response to Verizon's shady marketing activities (with your personal information) and your ability to opt out of their marketing programs.  Customer complaints and accusations, deception and drama that all ends with updated FCC regulations and a record $7.4M fine (FCC record) for Verizon.  "An oversight", according to Verizon.

Whether you paid $1, $100, or $500 for your Windows Phone - it is a poor and inconsistent business practice from Verizon to force you to wait 7+ weeks for the device to be updated to the latest operating system; 8.1 Cyan.  The FCC gives you a voice.  Click into the articles below and read for yourself.

FCC:  Verizon To Pay $7.4M To Settle Privacy Investigation | FCC.gov

eWeekVerizon to Pay FCC $7.4 Million to Settle Privacy Probe

CNN: FCC fines Verizon for violating customers' privacy - Sep. 3, 2014

BGR:  Verizon FCC customer privacy fine: $7.4 million | BGR

File YOUR CLAIM online today.  It only takes a few minutes to let the FCC know YOUR concerns.  Because for all we know, this may just be another "oversight"!?!    www.fcc.gov/complaints

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Need more proof that complaining to the FCC works?
Tidbits
Legend

How does that work with updates?  There's a BIG difference between THOSE which ARE regulated, and an update that has NO regulation whatsoever and never will be... 

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

How does that work with updates?  There's a BIG difference between THOSE which ARE regulated, and an update that has NO regulation whatsoever and never will be... 

You ask about how that works with updates?  Welcome to the club, as I don't know either.  But I intend to find out.

"NO regulation whatsoever and never will be..."  Should I be congratulating you on your new job with the FCC?  Certainly wasn't me saying I was looking for fines and regulation.  But if Verizon doesn't want to share how the update process works or discuss potential improvements - then there clearly needs to be some mediation that includes a party that can help the consumer gather this information.  Without the facts, it's difficult to say what the best direction is to take.  However, with the facts, at least the FCC can provide some guidance - even if it is "just suck it up or leave Verizon".  I am, in a way, hopeful that there is enough going on right now with "unlocked devices across carriers" that some of our needs can piggyback on some of that change.  But you don't know unless you ask.

Very interesting reading in the link below.  Largest FCC fine to date.  Clearly shows the ethics of Verizon and the level of respect they have for their customers.  There is no VZW lip service that can get around that.  And while the FCC has bigger fish to fry, they certainly have Verizon dead center and locked in on their radar screen.  I have never stated that any of these update problems violate any current regulations, I HAVE most certainly stated that the FCC has offered to look into the problem and has provided steps to escalate our concerns within their organization.

Microsoft, Nokia, and Windows Phone all point the finger at Verizon for either delays or the decision not to provide the 8.1 Cyan Update whatsoever (HTC 8X devices).  Verizon contracts essentially say "too bad - so sad"; we control what goes on you phone.  Not many places to turn for leverage except the FCC.  After talking to their consumer hotline, I don't think the FCC really knows what will come of this either.  They provided some basic steps and a "let's see what happens" option.  I'll roll with that.

FCC Legal Document:  Verizon To Pay $7.4M To Settle Privacy Investigation | FCC.gov

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Look software updates will affect multiple industries. It will actually hamper competition especially those with no residual income. Also if they are not finished with updates to forcibly make them finish by the end users timeframe? Seriously... That's why it will never be regulated.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I would like to add... As a software engineer...  I would hate to go through more just to update my own software and have to deal with FCC regulations more than I have to...  I would honestly retire and look for a new career outside of the US because of something you want regulated.  Millions of developers will think the same way...

FCC privacy is heavily regulated.  Also the amount of people supposedly affect is the largest amount ever recorded.  Also this might be the largest payout, HOWEVER Google has had more trouble overall and probably paid the same if not more over the past 15 years that what Verizon just paid out.

I have yet to see these fingers other than people speculation that it has to be Verizon.  Without understanding software development and knowing Nokia development teams. It's always easier to feed off what someone else tells them without any factual evidence and speculations.

0 Likes
Tepid
Contributor - Level 1

Fear mongering will get you nowhere.

We aren't asking for regulation on the software, that already exists.

We are talking about who controls the release of the updates.

You are still losing the argument.

Without understanding software development and knowing Nokia development teams. It's always easier to feed off what someone else tells them without any factual evidence and speculations.

Correct, so where is your proof?

You make nothing but statements, hearsay, no proof other than what you say.

Live by your own statement.

Your not winning.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's not fear mongering... You are the one fear mongering passing speculation and opinions as fact

Where's the proof that the updates are finished and it's being withheld because of what you assuming to be fact.  It's the same thing Android users have been complaining about and manufacturers already stepped forward more than a handful of times but no one listened.

Anyway have a great day.  Like I said make your own device and you'll find what I am saying is true, but of course that'll probably be a little too complicated for you.

0 Likes
Not applicable

OK so you're saying you got your update? Oh wait. Also these issues that Verizon had to pay $7 mil for started in 2006. So good luck getting your 8.1 update in 2022. I'm pretty sure Windows 11 will be out then

0 Likes