Re: NOTE: If Verizon fails to offer the new 950 or 950XL Windows phone, this Fall, you will be loosing me as a customer.
do_wuh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'll be purchasing a Windows Flagship Phone come launch day, regardless of carrier. Here's hoping Microsoft provides unlocked versions, as I'd like to stay with Verizon.

Re: NOTE: If Verizon fails to offer the new 950 or 950XL Windows phone, this Fall, you will be loosing me as a customer.
Geebox
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits, I hope you are right, but it won't be that easy for everyone;

Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and TMobile, the major US carriers all use 4G LTE for cellular data. Verizon and Sprint have and still use CDMA for cellular voice, AT&T and TMobile use GSM. However, as stated, all carriers are moving toward using 4G LTE for everything, voice and data (voice over data-VoLTE).

On supported phones, in 4G LTE coverage areas( areas not covered switch to 3G-CDMA-EVDO), Verizon uses 4G LTE for voice as well as data (howbeit with some problems stated above). That means that an unlocked  4G LTE capable phone could work on the 4G LTE network on Verizon covered areas only. However, that phone would not work on Verizon's CDMA network. The Lumia 950's and other 4G LTE should work on VZW.

However, there's more to it than just 4G LTE vs CDMA. Verizon's activation system doesn't recognize a phone not originally intended for use on their network, it doesn't process an activation of the phone. In order to get the phone to work, you need to activate the SIM in a Verizon phone first (Current Customer with a Activated SIM). Even then, problems have been reported getting non-Verizon phones to activate on the network, even though it is theoretically possible. To your point, Verizon doesn't prohibit the use of non-Verizon phones on their network but they don't recommend it and won't provide much support if there is an issue with the phone working on the network. The point is, The 950/950XL might be able to be used for current customers who are already activated with a SIM ie..just move the SIM from current phone to new Phone. Based on Verizon's current and past practices, New activations on UNSUPPORTED(not sold by VZW) devices are not likely to work well if at all.

As stated before like others and to answer the question in the thread, if VZW doesn't carry this phone, or if it can't be activated on VZW's Network, I will be taking my numbers to ATT just for the the 950XL.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It can work on Verizon, but the problem is activation. Just look at the Nexus 6 for example. I explained it in their forums. Ironically I got flamed and trashed on but in the end it showed those guys were the trolls.

Activation best works by using a Sim adaptor and activating the new sim with your previous device or a dummy device(corporate Verizon stores should have these. They are the demo phones on the floor for example). Once the sim is activated you should have no trouble unless Microsoft botched something.

0 Likes
Tollcross406
Enthusiast - Level 1

Love my Icon and will look to leave as soon as I can if the Lumia 950/950XL is not added to Verizon's devices. I have been a Windows Phone user since pre-Mango (HTC Trophy) and have been with Verizon for well over 10 years.  Would hate to leave but don't want to leave Windows Phone for Android or Apple.

KevinRush
Enthusiast - Level 2

If there is no Lumia 950 and 950XL on Verizon, soon, our family with look for a new cell phone company.

OldManRiver
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the same situation:  if Verizon doesn't offer the 950 and 950 XL or if I can't run unlocked versions of these phones, I'll be going to a competitor after a long and happy time with Verizon.  I don't WANT to leave but I want these devices as choices and expect Verizon to carry them and offer them in November not six months from now.

I'm yours to keep, Verizon.

TheApex
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with the original poster.  I'll be done with Verizon as well.

0 Likes
hasdrubel

15-year Verizon Wireless customer, 3 lines

Have tried Android, iPhone, Blackberry over the years and think Windows Phone tops them all easily

Will switch carriers for all my lines and not look back if 950/950XL is not supported

0 Likes
oshow69
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here, if Verizon is turning there backs on the best devices (Lumia) available we are taking our accounts elsewhere. Verizon, get over your petty differences and get on the stick!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like the 950 & 950XL are going to be at&t exclusive devices...or...T-Mobile via BYOD. The equipped radios and VoLTE operating bands don't match Verizon Wireless's systems.

Looks like Microsoft is getting ready to walk away from Verizon Wireless. Other manufacturers might continue to create Windows Mobile devices for Verizon Wireless, but, they will...most likely...be entry level devices.

0 Likes