My Lumia Icon goes dark during calls and I cannot access the phone pad to unless I hit the power button.
Mabee100

My Lumia Icon goes dark during calls and I cannot access the phone pad to unless I hit the power button.  Because of this it makes it tough to put my phone on speaker or type in my v-mail password.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Lumia Icon goes dark during calls and I cannot access the phone pad to unless I hit the power button.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Mabee100! I can certainly help you today! My apologies for the trouble you're experiencing with the calls and the screen not displaying. Can you give me additional info as to when this problem began? Do you have a case and or screen protector on the phone? Thanks in advance for this information!

-KristieQ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZW Support

0 Likes
Re: My Lumia Icon goes dark during calls and I cannot access the phone pad to unless I hit the power button.
Pavlovscow
Enthusiast - Level 3

I Have The Same Issue? It began after updating to Windows Phone 8.1 with Denim.

0 Likes
cgsheen
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had this same issue show up after the Denim update. My phone would go dark when making a call or stay dark after I brought it down from my ear. I finally turned the phone off and back on. That seemed to help, but it would still happen randomly. I do have a case so I took it off to see if that made a difference. After removing the case, making calls, putting the case back on, making calls, the issue seems to have gone away. I have no clue why or what made the difference.

0 Likes
cgsheen
Enthusiast - Level 3

Spoke too soon! My Icon is back to doing this with a vengeance. And I can't often get the screen back. This is a real problem since I can't get to the keypad or turn on speakerphone. Hope someone comes up with the answer!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh no Pavlovscow! We don't want your screen to go dark. I want you to be able to see what's on your screen. Where does it go dark at? Do you have a case on your phone? Please share details.

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Delosky
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife had camera jitter problems with her Icon back in November, so we went to the Microsoft store (where we purchased it originally) to have it replaced.  The first handset they replaced it with did this exact same thing.  When you made or received a call, the screen would go dark and never wake back up.  You could complete your call, but do nothing else until you power cycled the device.  We walked back into the Microsoft store and they replaced it for a second time that day and the new device didn't have the problem.

Not sure that helps, but just FYI that it doesn't seem to affect a range of the devices and may just be a hardware defect.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cgsheen,

Let's take another look here! Do you still have the case off of the phone? Have you restarted your device and tested again recently?  Have you added anything new to the device since the Denim update? Please share some further details. Thanks

TrevorC_VZW

0 Likes
cgsheen
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been trying to find a common denominator. It happens inconsistently. It never happened before the Denim update. When it does occur, the screen goes black immediately upon answering the call and doesn't come back until the call is ended by the calling party.

I thought it might be the proximity sensor, but when it's working normally I can see the screen go dark when it's at my ear and comes back when I take it away (tried it multiple times). I had Gestures Beta installed. I wondered if that could have an affect so I uninstalled it, but that didn't make any difference. I'm still stumped by the inconsistency. I haven't reset my phone as I didn't really want to go through that...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cgsheen, We'll try to figure this out, together. When you tested the phone during calls and recognized the proximity sensor, was the Gestures Beta application still installed? Can you please confirm the software that is currently loaded in your phone for us?

TanishaS1_VZW

0 Likes