Migrating from WP7 to WP8 - How?
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

I love my WP7 and am considering the upgrade to the Nokia Lumia 928 but I have a few questions. I suspect the Verizon sales staff will be of little help because it is not a Droid or iPhone.

1. Is there a migration process (software, document, etc.) for moving contacts, music, files and such from one phone to the other? maybe just upload to my SkyDrive account and then download back to my new phone? Zune app?

2. I am under the assumption that some of the WP7 apps (games, etc.) are not compatible with WP8. Is there a grand list of those than cannot run on WP8?

3. Can all of my past purchased apps be downloaded and installed on the new phone for free? I did already pay for them once...

4. Can I continue to use my WP7 (disconnected from Verizon) with my Wi-Fi for playing games, etc.?

I appreciate any feedback from anyone and I thank you in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Migrating from WP7 to WP8 - How?
primortal
Master - Level 1
  1. Yes, I'd store everything on SkyDrive
  2. There isn't a definitive list that I know of of apps that run on WP7 and not WP8.  You can check the apps on the Windows Store and see what the requirements are.
  3. Yes you can reinstall your apps on the new phone. I think this is done via the Windows Store online instead via the phone.
  4. Good question.  I guess it depends on the game.  If its a live game I don't know if its possible to have your live account tied to two different phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1
  1. Yes, I'd store everything on SkyDrive
  2. There isn't a definitive list that I know of of apps that run on WP7 and not WP8.  You can check the apps on the Windows Store and see what the requirements are.
  3. Yes you can reinstall your apps on the new phone. I think this is done via the Windows Store online instead via the phone.
  4. Good question.  I guess it depends on the game.  If its a live game I don't know if its possible to have your live account tied to two different phone.
0 Likes
AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

As the owner of 3 Windows Phones I can confirm you can have up to 5 devices on your account, so you can keep your old one and use it on WiFi (I have an old one I use for this same purpose). 

When you need to free up a device slot, just go to windowsphone.com and click "remove this phone" on the one you don't want anymore.

0 Likes
Fatalattempt

Just FYI, I got unlimited data backup with Bitcasa.com for 70 bucks a year for cloud backup. I have put 400 gig onto it so far. I am currently on an android using their bitcasa app, they do have an app for the win 8 OS so I should be able to access that drive from my 928 when I get one. Just thought I would let ya'll know. The app itself needs some work, and I was fully aware that they had just come out of beta, so I didn't expect to be squeaky clean yet, but its a good start, and the support seemed helpful. Most important thing to me is to have an offsite copy of all my stuff, the mobile access is just a bonus, and that is what is lacking at the moment. But to get in now for 70 a year might be worth it to some.

0 Likes
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

Everyone - thank for all of your feedback!

It's all helpful.

0 Likes