Re: Major Issues with Windows Phone 8x (resets, inconsistent battery, powers off)
w4rped
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your help. What steps can I take to exchange for a different device? I am not getting any new suggestions for solutions.

0 Likes
Re: Major Issues with Windows Phone 8x (resets, inconsistent battery, powers off)
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

If your phone is still under warranty you can either take it to a store or call customer service (from a different phone) and they will get the exchange underway.

0 Likes
june1234
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'd go go to the source Nokia 1-888-665-4228. Its their phone not VZ's

Stay away from VZ  customer support or WP8 windows forums, only answers they know seem to be  do hard or soft resets. Its like dealing  with me Tarzan you Jane. I'd try soft reset  if you haven't done so (pressing power and vol buttons at same time). Hard reset is last resort solution like backing up,wiping out and reinstalling on a PC , pain in the you know what and the only answer I can get from a  VZ tech. hard reset, hard reset, may as well be talking to a recording.

0 Likes
88888888x

Wow...I have been having the same problems and I agree with you that this is a defective model! Here is what happened to me:

I purchased a htc windows 8x phone in january 2013. In may, my phone went into a infinite looping cycle of powering on and off , right at the time when my telephone number was the main contact for coordinating two construction sites). Verizon said it was a defective device and sent me a new one.

The second phone I got would not let me end calls and when it did, it would reconnect to the call just ended then one day the phone stopped working entirely displaying a large white lighting bolt with a gear. So Verizon sent me another replacement phone.

I got the replacement phone . We had a medical emergency at the house and I had to make several phone calls, the phone would not connect, would not register a call, or allow selections and other such quirky things so luckily I got someone else's phone to get through the crisis. When it was over, I went to the Verizon store. As I parked the car, I got a vip call from a medical doctor and was on the phone speaking with him as I walked to the verizon store which at the door I ended the phone call. I went directly to the service desk, and after describing what happened, the clerk named Adrian at the hollywood, ca verizon store looked atme like I was an idiot and said that my phone was in airplane mode and thats why it did not work. I refuted the point saying if that is true then how is it possible that I was just talking on the phone ?

Later, at home, I called Verizon technical support and the tech said that the phone was having a problem connecting to the service and he had me do several things. A few days later, the phone started switching to displaying 'in call' rather than my saved contact name, and other annoying things like thinking I was in the state of Maine when I used the search despite having my location services on and it gave me directions from california to maine for a local hardware store.

I was hysterical in disbelief when the phone shut itself down in the middle of a call...it went all black and even though it was plugged into the wall, the little red battery light did not even light up. I called Verizon technical support and asked them what just happened? They could not say. I was on the phone from a landline with Verizon for over an hour when the phone just came back on.

Verizon has offered me an early upgrade meaning I get locked into a contract for 3 more years.

Somehow, this all seems wrong to me. I just want a phone that I paid for to work.

Does anyone who has the knowledge and experience with these htc windows 8x phone know any possible reason, however wild, that is limited to a 1 mile radius around my house that would cause interference with my phone and for it to have these problems? The last technichian I spoke with told me to turn off the wifi and not to use wifi but only celluar data but this seems ridiculous to me as cellular data gets to be expensive.

Pleeeeeeeaaaaassssseeeeeeee......respond with any possible ideas why this is happening.

0 Likes
Major Issues with Windows Phone 8x (resets, inconsistent battery, powers off)
june1234
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not just HTC. Just returned my Nokia Lumia 928; failed backups, bottomless pit of soft resets(equivalent of removing battery in android) ,2 factory resets inside a month. Few Nokia apps are real good; most apps on windows store are buggie; don't even belong there, despite their 5 star ratings. All marketing; fast buck

0 Likes
jmcato

I've been having multiple issues with second HTC 8X phone, too - including the SIM card error, the phone turning itself off (during and not during phone calls), the phone resetting itself, messages and phone calls not being received/recorded in log, text messages not going through, people not being able to hear me.  My first HTC 8X phone froze after two days, and, with these problems with the second, which are obviously design issues that are well documented, I do not want to exchange for the same phone; I'd actually like a phone that works.  Can I get a different phone, please?  When I went to the store, I was told that I could only exchange for the same thing, which is ridiculous. 

0 Likes
JoeDFisher

My wife and I have the same phone and the same problems that are being described here... am getting very close to changing back to Android.

0 Likes
Chris503

I have had the random shut off, SIM error "The SIM card is missing or invalid.  You can still make emergency call s if you mobile oprator suppors it.  now my voice mic doesn't work unless I have it in speaker phone mode.  What is the deal with this phone.

0 Likes
montereyone
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been dealing with Microsoft's operating systems since DOS 1.0 both personally and as an IT professional and no one who values their job goes with a first release of their operating system. With Windows 3.51, Windows NT3.51, Windows 2000 (see service pack 3), and Windows Vista, the end users had unstable computers until service packs were released which would include thousands of patches to the code. Windows 7 still gets biweekly important security and other code fixes that are rated by Microsoft as critical and this operating system was released 3 years ago.

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8x are for people with time on their hands looking for a way to kill time. Hopefully people with endless patience. They are not suited for anything important. I would not want to be making a call for emergency assistance with a Microsoft smart phone running their code.

Makes no sense when you can get an Android or Applie iOS phone that you know is going to work. Why be a pioneer / guinea pig and pay to have that experience?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

While I do prefer Android as an operation system, the Lumia I have been using has given me no problems whatsoever.  Of course, I see just as many posts around here of people having issues with their Android devices (I try to avoid the iPhone section, but on the rare occasion I do wander in there, I've seen several posts of users with problems there too).  None of these OSes are perfect, none are completely bug free but, personally, I think user error plays into it a lot of times.