Major Issues with Windows Phone 8x (resets, inconsistent battery, powers off)
w4rped
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased windows phone 8x back in february, looking to change things up from the Android devices I was used to. At first, I was satisfied with the phone and its features, although the lack of apps was a bit disappointing. After using it for several months, I began to notice some quirky behaviors. Data connections would refuse to connect, I would pull the phone from my pocket and find it powered off, couldn't get picture messages, just infrequent enough for me to tolerate it. Over the past couple of months, I have seen it take a serious downturn. The unit resets itself several times a day, powers itself off at random times, and it has the most inconsistent battery life I have ever seen in a phone. I have exchanged with Verizon, receiving another phone, and at first that seemed to be a remedy. After using the new device for a couple of days, it began to exhibit the same behaviors, and now I fear it is just a poorly designed phone. This model is in serious need of help, and i regret the day I clicked the buy button. Are there any others here with the same complaints? What good is a warranty if the problem is the design?

Labels (1)
Re: Major Issues with Windows Phone 8x (resets, inconsistent battery, powers off)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi W4rped,

Oh No! That definitely sounds 100% unacceptable. We definitely want you to have a properly functioning device at all times. When it comes to this device I can say that I've honestly never noticed an issue when previously used. We can most certainly evaluate available options. Do you recall what applications you've donwloaded? Have you attempted to remove all applications and test device for a few days? Please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Major Issues with Windows Phone 8x (resets, inconsistent battery, powers off)
w4rped
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can list my installed apps.

-Accuweather

-Battery Sense

-Box

-ESPN Scorecenter

-Evernote

-Flashlight X

-Fotor

-Gas Buddy

-Geocaching Plus

-HERE Drive

-Linkedin

-Lomogram

-Looney Tunes

-Metrotube

-Pandora

-Photostream

-Redbox

-Tom and Jerry

-Walgreens

I have removed and re-installed several apps, none of which seem to make any difference. Many of them are common applications and should cause no issues (ESPN, Linkedin, Accuweather, etc). I was more leery of the odd applications like Tom and Jerry & Looney Tunes, but they appear to be benign. I just want a reliable phone! BTW, I didn't think I had any options, what do you mean?

0 Likes
w4rped
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can list my installed apps.

-Accuweather

-Battery Sense

-Box

-ESPN Scorecenter

-Evernote

-Flashlight X

-Fotor

-Gas Buddy

-Geocaching Plus

-HERE Drive

-Linkedin

-Lomogram

-Looney Tunes

-Metrotube

-Pandora

-Photostream

-Redbox

-Tom and Jerry

-Walgreens

I have removed and re-installed several apps, none of which seem to make any difference. Many of them are common applications and should cause no issues (ESPN, Linkedin, Accuweather, etc). I was more leery of the odd applications like Tom and Jerry & Looney Tunes, but they appear to be benign. I just want a reliable phone! BTW, I didn't think I had any options, what do you mean?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the details w4ped! Have you tested the device without any third party applications installed? How does it work? Do you use any sort of task killers? Task killers tend to drain the battery. Have you tried another battery or charger?

I just sent you a follow request. Please follow back and direct message me your mobile number.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
w4rped
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I've never used a task killer on this device. I cannot remove the battery on the windows phone 8x. I have used several chargers, including the HTC charger with the original and the replacement device.

0 Likes
RighteousDork

Hey w4rped:

I've had the 8X since the end of December and have had similar issues.

The phone randomly resetting and shutting off is (I think) related to the SIM card not being properly seated.  I can't prove it, but back before they supposedly fixed the issue, my phone would simply lose network access a lot.  Put some scotch tape on the back of the SIM card to really lock it into the tray and problem solved.  I recently took the tape off since I figured the issue was fixed now.  Within no time, my phone started going through random reboots, and I would pull it out of my pocket to find that it was simply powered off sometimes.  Put the tape back on.  No more issues.  I can't say this will fix your issues, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

You can see here where it's helped a lot of people: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/966977

Now, in terms of the battery draining.  There are a lot of settings tweaks you can do to try and conserve juice.  The battery on the phone isn't stellar and any intense use will barely get you through the day.  But if you're experiencing the same issues I used to have with it, you're lucky to make it a few hours before it's in the red.  This video helped me a lot: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57568296-285/tweak-these-settings-to-boost-the-battery-life-on-y...

I hope this helps.

0 Likes
w4rped
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried this with my 1st WP8x, and didn't see a discernable improvement.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for updating us on the steps you have taken to help with your issues w4rped. I'm sorry you're continuing to have issues. Thanks for also listing your apps & for removing them temporarily. Have you performed a hard reset? Here are the steps http://vz.to/XJJzFB . If you continue to have issues, please let us know. We will have to look into replacing your phone. I look forward to hearing from you.

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
w4rped
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I've performed the hard reset feature on the original device based on advice from HTC tech support, together with a factory reset.

0 Likes