Re: Lumia ICON Discontinued?
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Even if the ICON is retired we have been promised by Microsoft that we will receive the 8.1 update this quarter. In the previous event that happened recently, you can watch the video on youtube, they specifically called out the Lumia icon name in getting the update first.

Wanderist
Enthusiast - Level 3

I bought my Icon on the Edge program too, in April. And now its discontinued or 'retired' as they say? I'd hop carriers to AT&T over it but we have 8 lines at present. Three I can drop in November but I'm still tethered by the other contracts.

So if there is going to be no support for the Icon I may have to leave the WP platform which really ticks me off. It is SO much better than Android and I've never been a fan of Apple.

Verizon I am so, SO disappointed in you. You will not get any further recommendations from me to friends and family and as my family's remaining lines expire, we will not be renewing those contracts. So that's 8 lines in one account you are losing over this. Not that you care.

primortal
Master - Level 1

This is very disconcerting.  I'm curious to know why the Icon and not the 928, HTC 8X or the Samsung ATIV SE which are a lot older then the Icon.

If this is true and i hope it's not I'll be switching to AT&T once my contract is up.

The Microsoft Store and Amazon still sell the Icon.  Hopefully the person from VZW Support was mistaken.

fkmalone
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let's hope this is just a further demonstration of the ignorance of Verizon Support.  I know that somewhere there must be a good phone support person.  I have yet to talk to one though.

Dregus311
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunantly it is true that it has been retired, for poor sales apparently.  Customer service spent 2 hours on the phone with me last night as I complained about it and tried to asertain if we were going to get Cyan which enables LE BT for use with devices such as Fitbit.  It is completely redicuslus that they would do this without at least confirming they would release future firmware updates for phones less than 2 years old.  I switched from ATT for this phone and there better coverage, yet they take my hard earned money and throw this junk in my face.  I say we all contact the FCC and file complaints.  Even if there is no law requiring the update phoen firmware when released for said phones, there sure as heck should be!  I am not big on over regulation, but when people speed $500-$1K on devices they should get proper support for at least a couple of years.  Sad thing is MS can't do much about this as they gave Verizon Cyan and it is Verizon who is failing to put time towards testing.  The device was made for 8.1 (i.e. 930)!

Dregus311
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually talked to a great tech support guy last night, it was not his fault his company is a piece!  He did everything he could, including escalating a complaint up the chain.  Of course when put on hold who knows who he actually talked with.

primortal
Master - Level 1

I would guess the HTC Onr (M8) will be in the same boat in the next few months as well. So with the supposed poor sales of the Icon the 928 is selling better?

VZW just mights well dump Windows Phone all together and stop wasting customer time and money....

Dregus311
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yea I dont get it either. the 928 was a joke...nowhere near as good as the 920 was.  My parents got 928 on my recommend because I had a 920.  I played around with theirs and it was just an ugly build and 8.0 was missing entirely to much from the OS.  8.1 is pretty good and 8.1.1 is outstanding!

jlesho09
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Verizon Support Twitter account did indeed confirm last night that the Icon has been retired; but there may be more to the story. Some people have theorized that they've discontinued this SKU to make room for a Microsoft-branded (as opposed to Nokia-branded) version of the Icon that is pre-loaded with Cyan or Denim. It's an extremely optimistic theory that I hope is true, though admittedly I don't have high hopes.

Also remember that discontinuing sales does not necessarily mean that they will no longer support or update the existing handsets. Again, this is an optimistic viewpoint, and with the way the Icon has been treated so far it's not likely to come to fruition, but it's something to think about.

If the phone and all future updates have indeed been discontinued with no solution on the horizon, then I'll probably take my business elsewhere. If Verizon doesn't want to support me, I have no reason to support them.

primortal
Master - Level 1

I hope it's just a re-branding issue/new SKU.  But being VZW is so tight-lipped they can spit diamonds we just have to sit and wait speculating what's going on.