Re: Lumia Cyan with Windows Phone 8.1 roll-out starts today (7/15/2015)
primortal
Master - Level 1

Ok being you only see in black & white.  Let me spell it out for you; enhance the newsletter to have a section that lists update schedules.

Ahh, so you're injecting your option as VZW fact, make sense now....

If VZW sells service of connectivity to cellular and data why do they bother selling devices (which include re-sellers) then?

Please point out in the TOS (Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless) that updates are not included with service.  If it's not spelled out clearly it's implied that updates are included/provided for devices they support on their network.

0 Likes
Not applicable

[Quote]

Please point out in the TOS (Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless) that updates are not included with service.  If it's not spelled out clearly it's implied that updates are included/provided for devices they support on their network.

[/Quote]

What is implied does not say " We are required to give you updates"

[Quote]

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device.

[/Quote]

And the words "we may change" is not the same as "we are required to change"

Verizon Wireless as a retailer sells devices that function on their networks. You don't see them selling "all devices" for use on any cellular network. ( AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile) The devices you purchase from Verizon are made to work on Verizon.

Other retailers like Best Buy and Walmarts sell all carrier devices to generate profits.

Verizon makes profits both as a retail outlet and a cellular provider. Nothing wrong with that.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Granted the "we may change" doesn't say "we are required to change" but it leaves VZW open to the fact they could at anytime which leads us here complaining.  If VZW announced that they are or are not providing the update it would put a lot of these threads to sleep.  So remaining quite and having an incline of "may change your wireless device's software" leaves VZW holding the bag.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Holding the bag? Not likely

Its like telling your girlfriends/boyfriends that someday I may marry you. Not enforceable.

[Quote]

If VZW announced that they are or are not providing the update it would put a lot of these threads to sleep.

[/Quote]

On this I don't necessarily disagree.

But I still believe opening their mouths makes them liable to actually give them.  Not good.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Lumia Cyan with Windows Phone 8.1 roll-out starts today (7/15/2015)
primortal
Master - Level 1

Elector wrote:

Holding the bag? Not likely

Its like telling your girlfriends/boyfriends that someday I may marry you. Not enforceable.

So you give girlfriends/boyfriends TOS to sign before dating???

See you're stuck on the given part...  They can clearly state we are going to/not going to provide updates.  If it "going to" then provide an ETA (emphasis on Estimate).

we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice

This leaves the door open for interpretation.

iKnowPhones
Contributor - Level 1

I really don’t understand what your post has to do with what I said.

Both AT&T and T-Mobile has acknowledged the 8.1/Cyan update exists. T-Mobile even officially confirmed they won’t be pushing it out to the Lumia 810.

So yes, there has been some official word from the other carriers and you don’t see the world crashing down on them.

All we’re asking for is some acknowledgment. I know you think silence is golden, and sometimes that’s the case. However when it damages the relationship with your customers, there is nothing golden about that.

Tidbits
Legend

As for the 810. Nokia said it first and T-Mobile said what Nokia said.

I was a former 810 owner. On T-Mobile forums there's a thread that has a whole bunch of links from Nokia saying that Nokia dropped support. Let me see if I can find it on their boards.

0 Likes
iKnowPhones
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the heads up. There’s no need to look for any links. Even with Nokia first announcing they are dropping support for the 810, T-Mobile still acknowledged the update, that’s more than Verizon has done.

On a side note, it’s odd that Nokia would drop support for the 810 while still supporting every other Lumia model.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

From what Nokia said. It uses a different hardware which wasn't compatible with any firmware or something along those lines.

However being a developer I find that hard to believe they couldn't update said device. What I believe is the device sold so poorly Nokia deemed it not cost effective to put a development team to update the phone.

0 Likes
iKnowPhones
Contributor - Level 1

That’s odd, I thought it had the same S4 processor as most of their other Windows Phones released back then.

I agree with you though. It probably sold so badly, it’s not worth the time to optimize the firmware.

0 Likes