Re: Lumia Cyan with Windows Phone 8.1 roll-out starts today (7/15/2015)
iKnowPhones
Contributor - Level 1

Actually MS can now be considered a manufacturer after purchasing Nokia.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Thanks for the info

So are there FCC certifications for AT&T's roll out of WP 8.1 + Cyan?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

iKnowPhones wrote:

Can you provide a link to the FCC having record of any approved update?  I don’t think the FCC is any way to confirm whether or not the update is in the carrier’s hands, because it is.  Also it’s a known fact that carriers require their approval to release updates for WP and Android devices.  They want to test and know what content is being sent over their networks.

I am not going to bother.  If people want to do their own legwork that's fine here's one of the places to find some certifications that all cell phones.  This is a requirement IF you want to roam in the US.  That includes cross cellular companies, including unlocking and using on another carrier.

The below is the the Z1S for T-Mobile(search C6916) and the amount of times it was submitted(means the RIL/HAL/Radio was changed a few times) If things like that happens it needs to get re certified by the FCC.  Verizon LTE devices should all be on here due to it having a GSM radio and LTE radio in service unless Verizon doesn't want these devices to roam or be used on other carriers(which then would violate Block C rules).  I don't know what internal numbers Nokia uses for the Lumina Icon (929), but it isn't listed as that on here.

Welcome to PTCRB

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

iKnowPhones wrote:

Actually MS can now be considered a manufacturer after purchasing Nokia.

That doesn't include them for HTC, Samsung Windows devices for example.  Also it would be submitted under the Nokias name and not Microsofts name.

0 Likes
iKnowPhones
Contributor - Level 1

Are you sure this isn’t just for the phone itself and not an update alone?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Oh the above testing isn't done overseas from what I remember. Also testing from EU isn't as "strict" as the FCC.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The developers preview uses all the old stuff(drivers, RIL, and such). If there are any reported bugs from the preview about those things will more than likely change and the final result will be different. Don't base everything you see in preview as everything is working as if it was Microsoft wouldn't have called it a preview.

BlackDimension
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would highly encourage anyone that is frustrated/dissatisfied to file an FCC complaint regarding Verizon's poor policies and communication relating to Windows Phone updates (specifically Lumia Cyan, WP 8.1)

I filed a FCC complaint about a week ago for no update and poor/miscommunication for when WP8.1 (Lymia Cyan) will be rolled out for my Lumia Icon.  I received a call today from a Verizon representative explaining that at the highest level, they still do not know when the update will be rolled out.  I told him that I am not the only one, and he perused the forums/blogs for a few minutes and immediately agreed there is a problem.  The outcome is this representative will be writing suggestions to the Verizon executives to change policies and procedures relating to updates and communication of updates.

Let your voices be heard through an escalation path that will get their attention.  Verizon is on the pace for being last in the world to roll these updates out, and there is no reason for it.  It is unfair for their paying customers, unfair for phone manufacturers making Windows Phone devices (Samsung, HTC, Nokia, etc.), and also unfair to Microsoft in their attempt at rolling out more impactful and frequent updates to their Windows Phone line.  Rolling out big updates more frequently means nothing if Verizon, one of the world's largest cell phone carriers, does not do anything to properly communicate timelines of updates, and is extremely slow to roll them out.

It won't be long before WP 8.1 Update 1 is officially released by Microsoft, how long will it take for Verizon to roll that out?  Important features and enhancements are included in these updates that make WP devices more functional and competitive, yet Verizon sits and does nothing.

We as Verizon customers do not have a choice to switch carriers or phones, as we are essentially purchasing $500+ devices subsidized over 2 year contracts (and paying upfront in many cases as well).

BlackDimension
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon does have the update.  I talked with a higher up Verizon representative that responded to my FCC complaint.  He confirmed that they have had it, and from the highest level (executive) they do not have a timeframe on when it will be released, or where they are at with internal testing.

AT&T has the update, and has been rolling it out to their devices.  Telus and Rogers also have it and have rolled it out to several of their devices.

FCC complaints do get heard, and with enough complaints the FCC could take it further than just sending the complaint on to the company.  At the very least, it is a conduit to get a legitimate complaint brought up to the executive level at Verizon.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Tidbits wrote:

iKnowPhones wrote:

Can you provide a link to the FCC having record of any approved update?  I don’t think the FCC is any way to confirm whether or not the update is in the carrier’s hands, because it is.  Also it’s a known fact that carriers require their approval to release updates for WP and Android devices.  They want to test and know what content is being sent over their networks.

I am not going to bother.  If people want to do their own legwork that's fine here's one of the places to find some certifications that all cell phones.  This is a requirement IF you want to roam in the US.  That includes cross cellular companies, including unlocking and using on another carrier.

The below is the the Z1S for T-Mobile(search C6916) and the amount of times it was submitted(means the RIL/HAL/Radio was changed a few times) If things like that happens it needs to get re certified by the FCC.  Verizon LTE devices should all be on here due to it having a GSM radio and LTE radio in service unless Verizon doesn't want these devices to roam or be used on other carriers(which then would violate Block C rules).  I don't know what internal numbers Nokia uses for the Lumina Icon (929), but it isn't listed as that on here.

Welcome to PTCRB

Would OET List Exhibits Report be a summary page for a recertification test or similar test? I don't know if I'm looking in the right area of the FCC website.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes