Re: Lumia 950 and 950 XL (or some variant)
JAardsma
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, my wife had an Icon, it was easily her favorite phone ever.  She's had a couple Android devices and a Samsung ATIV, and none of them compared to her Icon.  Well our 5 year old killed it, and we had to put in the insurance claim...all they had is the HTC M8 for WP.  Now we play the waiting game to see what/if they get (we want to get her the 950XL or something comparable).  With the terrible WP support Verizon gives, I lean closer and closer to biting my tongue and switching to AT&T (and I hate AT&T).

Pynt
Enthusiast - Level 1

As a .NET developer, and employee at an institution with several thousand Microsoft devices I was excitedly awaiting the new WP10 devices myself.  I'll be joining you in the exodus to ATT which is by far not my favorite company, but with the changes to the .NET and Windows ecosystem going to an open source setup where my code will now function on Windows, Linux, and Mac with easy porting from WP10 to iPhone when app developing I can't justify sticking with a provider that provides me with zero benefit other than another android device that drops support after 6 months. Verizon is also engaging in cherry picking like ATT used to do.  They've sold their towers to ATT or let the land leases expire such that other carriers have picked up the slack. They seem to be focusing on the economies of scale in the larger cities rather than maintaining the great network they'd built up whereas ATT seems to be spreading again and becoming more dominant in our rural areas. Over a decade of service with Verizon and guess I'll be moving to a carrier that will cater to my work needs.  Going to let the dust settle a bit and get reviews from active Lumia users regardless.  Maybe Verizon will get off their asses and fix the issue.

FXi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate the insight you give into the matter.  I've been noticing as well that VZ and ATT seem to be switching places in terms of rural coverage, and more "tests" seem to be noticing this fact.  Supercookies that muck with VPN hotspot communications is another sign that ATT (which tried the idea and stopped) seems to be taking the higher ground on "customer first".  I note that many other services targeting mobile users are finding it easier to roll out on ATT and are doing so "first".  I'll see how the reviews and user experiences pan out and if VZ manages to accomplish a retake on their current position (regarding windows phone flagships) soon.  If not, whether because ATT grabbed the ball first, or because they are uninterested won't really matter.  I'll give them a short time and the devices being out and used by the masses a bit of time and then it's time to switch.  I know a lot of corporate folks in a wide variety of companies who are fine with ATT as a vendor, so I don't think it'll be much of a problem.

Thanks for your insightful commentary and sensible business view

bgoodbody
Contributor - Level 1

FWIW, I decided to upgrade a 2nd to the Lumia 735 instead of leaving for Verizon. VZW gave a 100.00 credit toward the upgrade from an HTC8x making the cost 92.00.

While the 735  is not as high-end as the 950 950XL. It is more than adequate for me and the other one acquired for wife about 4 month ago. No Continuum on Win 10, but it is on the Win 10 list.

tradeintrick
Contributor - Level 3

I installed the preview version of the Windows phone 10 to this device, however it ran very slow despite of few apps installed.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Have you done a hard reset after installing the latest build of Windows 10 Mobile?  This should always be done when doing insider installs.

tradeintrick
Contributor - Level 3

I am not sure what you meant with hard reset. The device restarted several time during the updates.

0 Likes
SteveAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

I sure hope that is true.  I want the 950 or 960 if that is what Verizon wants.  I have good T-Mobile service in my neighborhood so I could get the unlocked 950 GSM phone from Microsoft.  I have been buying my own phones for a while now.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 550 and the 950s were never submitted by Microsoft for CDMA certification. The specs are a complete mismatch between the phones and Verizon Wireless's network. Microsoft is limiting the phones to GSM networks and their respective VoLTE bands. Verizon Wireless, Sprint and their respective resellers have been locked out of these offerings. Our next chance at a high end Windows Mobile device will likely be with the rumored Surface Phone.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

TradeInTrickSucks wrote:

I am not sure what you meant with hard reset. The device restarted several time during the updates.

A hard reset resets the phone to factory defaults; all data will be erased.  To do so tap on setting, about and tap on reset my phone.  DO NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP when setting up the phone.

0 Likes