Re: Lumia 950 and 950 XL (or some variant)
Tidbits
Legend

Microsoft isn't talking to other carriers. They may be interested but MS isn't talking so there seems to be some sort of exclusivity regardless if MS says or not. If they are not going to talk how are they going to get other carriers on board?

http://pocketnow.com/2015/10/09/microsoft-lumia-950-att-exclusivity

genegh
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I first read the article you posted, I couldn't believe it...but darnit, it's true.

I came across this article that actually offers up a somewhat believable reason that Microsoft would screw us all.@

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Microsoft-admits-that-other-U.S.-carriers-besides-AT-T-wanted-the-new...

Cliff Notes:  The article basically states that MS is getting rid of the Lumia line in favor of Surface phones.  Furthermore, that "the speculation is that Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Surface VP Panos Panay want to reset Microsoft's mobile division, ridding the unit of anything that reminds them of the previous regime, including Lumia phones. Behind the scenes, Panay is rumored to be working on a Surface phone that would include PixelSense pressure sensitive touch inputs."

Source: PhoneAreana

0 Likes
PaulFenoglio
Enthusiast - Level 1

I totally agree with the comments asking for Verizon to carry the 950. 

Customer1234567
Contributor - Level 1

Yea, Verizon reps, oh, it must be true !

Truth is, they don't have access to this information till there was a press statement about it. When you know, they will know. Over the 15 years, it's been dozens of times where I was told information from a VERY NICE rep, that was 100% wrong, Or talk to 3 different reps (store, online and calling in) and get 3 different stories on some things.

Most of Verizon's reps information comes from other reps or what WE all can read about on WC or other WP related sites, only referring to rumored or upcoming phones.

Till Verizon or Microsoft makes an official statement (or a Microsoft rep leaks it), I would take this info with a 100% grain of salt... Just not true...maybe at this point.

I hope they do carry the 950XL but, I have a feeling I am going to have to move to AT&T or TMOUS to get it.. I remember when the Luima 900 came out to AT&T only, and we were in the same boat...

VzwAndMyLife
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's the 950XL or carrier change so.......hope they get it.

Tidbits
Legend

Carrier change. Already confirmed MS isn't talking to any carrier. AT&T or unlocked is your choices.

FXi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Probably just playing for time, like the 1520 that never arrived.  AT&T demonstrates outright that they prefer our business.  Pretty large credit too, for switching and getting the phones we want (win win!)

0 Likes
terrykeeler
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a 25+ year AT&T customer, in the early years it wasn't called AT&T, anyway I never changed carriers they just kept changing the name.  I am seriously thinking of changing to Verizon because AT&T is shrinking their rural coverage.  Places I have used my phone in Eastern Oregon for most all of those years I found last year wouldn't work, zilch...nothing.  I thought there was something wrong with my phone, even did a hard reset still nothing.  When I got home I checked the coverage maps and sure enough no more AT&T coverage in that area.  Everyone else I was with was using their Verizon phones just fine.  I currently have a Lumia 920 (since 11/2012) and love the phone and would like the 950 or 950XL but not from AT&T.   Need to do something soon as I believe the battery in mine is failing and the LED for the camera flash quit some months ago.    

JaxJohn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hope that it's true to Verizon will get the 950 and 950XL. Undoubtedly the best phone on the market now (soon). Enough that I am considering switching to AT&T and moving my whole company to them so we can better integrate with our Win 10 system that we are upgrading to. I've been with Verizon for 20 years and moved one multi-billion company to them completely. I hope it's not time to rethink that decision.

tradeintrick
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon reportedly blocking new Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL phones from their network | Windows C...

As Thurrott and Foley note, Microsoft is trying their best to these phones into user's hands, but the company is facing many obstacles. Having the largest carrier in the US shun Microsoft is a big blow, but should not be surprising. In the past, Verizon has requested exclusive phones like the Lumia 928, Lumia Icon and Lumia 735 only to promote them half-heartedly after months of delays for approval.

For what it is worth, Verizon has done similar things in the past. The Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 have also had the same issue with Verizon's network.

If true, Verizon's actions appear to be more of spite than technological. Windows Central is reaching out to Verizon for comment on the matter, and we'll update this article if we received a response on the matter.

0 Likes