Re: Lumia 929 (now "Icon") moved to January
DC4000
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon always does this, with non-Samsung-Android phones. Whoever above said they might just go get a shiny new Android - don't do that! That's probably what they want. I cannot even drive by the store less than 60mph without an employee running out and jumping onto my hood trying to push a Samsung Android phone on me.

.... But seriously - me, "I'm interested in a Windows Phone". VZW Employee, "Hey come look at this Galaxy S4!". My wife, "I'm interested in the new BlackBerry". VZW Employee, "Look at the features on this Galaxy S4 (as she starts playing on it)!".

Don't get me wrong - I love Samsung products. My current TV and phone are both Samsung products. Sometimes, you just want to try something new though.

But anyway - anyone remember the Droid Bionic? I waited on that phone for months! Then when it finally showed up, the Droid Razr came right behind it! Well, I got the Droid Razr and hated it! The screen faded in and out all the time when you were using it. So, I ended up giving it to a relative for their upgrade and got a Gnex. I lost money on that deal.

Moral of the story: Verizon holds off. If phone finally shows up its already out of date. You get it (or similar phone that bests it) because you've been anxious to get it! You realize you wasted your upgrade on it. You spend more money on something else.

Money > Customers - every day, every time.

AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

Looks like it might be even closer, now it was up on the production website for a short while, and mentioned ISIS wallet support. 

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon-live-verizon-includes-isis-mobile-wallet

0 Likes
kreamkorn

I went into my local store last Saturday to ask about it.  This was after it was on the test site.  The rep didn't know anything about it, but looked it up in the computer and found it.  He said the employees get it on the 23rd, which is tomorrow.  He said sometimes the employees get it earlier and sometimes the same day.  He said to just look for it to come out on the 23rd.  Hopefully the off contract price is not $777 as I'm buying it that way.

0 Likes
DC4000
Contributor - Level 1

Wish you were right, but I'd bet 100 to 1 that it doesn't come out tomorrow.

0 Likes
kreamkorn

Not sure if I'm right or wrong about employees getting it today but it looks like we won't.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_929_icon_to_launch_february_5_or_march_5-news-7638.php

If its March 5th I'm sure there will be another Nokia phone coming out soon that will blow the Icon away.  This is supposed to be a 2013 phone.

0 Likes
AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

Ugh, just another (high quality) image leak to keep me going today.  I can't wait till Feb 5th / March 5th for this beauty, PLEASE LET THIS THING LOOSE!

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-icon-looks-nice-in-white/

0 Likes
tabletman

I'm thinking closer to March 5th because of the Nokia Press Event at the

Mobile World Congress on February 24th. Why they would wait this long is

beyond me. The 929/Icon would have outsold the 1520 during Christmas.

My consulting firm is starting to go with Windows Phones because we are

Microsoft consultants. It's as one of our sales people put it "eating your

own dog food." I bought my wife a Surface RT when it was on special from

the Microsoft Store for $200 because she started her Master's in Nursing

Program. She's ended up bringing it to meetings at the hospital and it has

turned a lot of heads when people said, "hey, you've got Office. . .on your

TABLET." She has to go through the whole spiel on how she does almost 100%

of her studying, paper writing, email, all on the Surface RT AND it cost

$300 less than the iPad.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM, AtomicInternet <forums@verizonwireless.com

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Why would anyone want to purchase the Icon after February is beyond me.  Nokia will announce new devices on February 24 which will most likely go to AT&T first for a 6 month exclusive before VZW gets a crack at the 6 month old hardware.

0 Likes
kreamkorn

Yep, this phone should have been released last year near the 1520, but Verizon takes their sweet time.

0 Likes
tabletman

If they do that again this will be the first and last Nokia I purchase. I

have a feeling that the distribution model is going to change once

Microsoft is at the helm. I don't think Microsoft will tolerate Verizon's

crap like Nokia did. They have the money and the clout to get stuff done

that Nokia did not. If I know Microsoft they are going to focus on getting

new products to Market faster. That seems to be an area Samsung is winning

in right now.

0 Likes